Latest MIB3 Navigation Database Version

Hi, I live in Wales and drive a 2020 Mk IV 1.5 TSI Octavia.  I have been waiting for the navigation database (v 22.9) to be updated to include the 20mph speed limits.  Yesterday I downloaded ECE2024 (CW 45/2023, Nov. 2023?) and manually updated the navigation system.  The system now shows navigation database version 23.6, i.e. before the Welsh speed limit changed!  Therefore the system still does not include the new 20mph roads in Wales.  My subscriptions are all up to date btw and I was wondering if there was a more recent version available anywhere?  I recently drove a friend's 24 plate Kodiac whose maps DO show the new speed limits.  Cheers Alan

Hi @AlanOsborne If you're paying for the Infotainment online subscription then the system should be automatically downloading the map updates for you. There shouldn't be any need to manually download the map updates. I'm currently subscribed to infotainment online. I've just checked my map version and it's showing as 24.5, so it last updated in May 2024. The previous update was 24.2 (February). Maybe call your local dealer if it's not downloading for you, as it's part of the service you are paying for.

If you're not subscribed to infotainment online, then you will need to download manually. I've heard the download portal does lag a little behind what is downloaded direct to cars, but 23.6 is nearly a year behind, which seems a lot.

image.thumb.png.41d6019aae8f43fee9f6f91ddef4073c.png

• Like 1

Yep, mine is the same as @JamesK

There are two subscription services so check you have the right one for map updates (or both).

Edited by SteveTheElder
Tagged the wrong name.

I'm subscribed to Infotainment Online and can confirm mine is currently 24.5 (May 2024). I subscribed when I got the car in April and this is the second update I've had. (It initially updated to 24.2 when I first subscribed and then to the current 24.5 within the last few weeks).

2 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Better to use Waze or Google Maps than the built-in system tbqh.

They can't be shown on the cockpit though can they? (Which is the reason I like to use the built in nav).

Hi All, thanks for the information.  I currently subscribe to 'Infotainment Online' and 'Care Connect', but not the 'Data Plan'.   My car connects successfully to my home WiFi.  The Head Unit Software version is also lagging behind it seems at 1806!  the car is due for an oil change towards the end of the Month, I will have words with the Dealer!

Kind regards, Alan

PXL_20240618_171118597.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlanOsborne said:

Hi All, thanks for the information.  I currently subscribe to 'Infotainment Online' and 'Care Connect', but not the 'Data Plan'.   My car connects successfully to my home WiFi.  The Head Unit Software version is also lagging behind it seems at 1806!  the car is due for an oil change towards the end of the Month, I will have words with the Dealer!

Kind regards, Alan

PXL_20240618_171118597.jpg

Yes your Infotainment software is very very out of date. It should be at least 1941 but i'm not sure if that would stop the maps from updating. You don't need a data plan to get the map updates they just download via the car's eSim once you subscribe to the Infotainment Online service. (I don't have a data plan either). The data plan is so that you can use the car as a hotspot and people without mobile data can connect to the internet via the car's hotspot and then use the car's p[aid for data to browse etc.....

I believe the car's eSim uses the Vodafone network (That's who Cubic backbone off in the UK) so could it be that you live in a Vodafone blackspot so therefore the car isn't downloading the updates? Or it could maybe be a fault with the eSim in the car? Are the rest of your built in apps updating OK like store, pay to park, pay to fuel etc.....?

If you open the Skoda App on your phone is the Infotainment Online service showing as active and still in date?

Edited by WaveyDavey

Hi again, my Infotainment and Care Connect subscriptions are active until the end of December this year.  However, the e-sim has been 'Toggled off' since I picked the car up, the only connection to the Internet being via my home WiFi when parked up.  Could this be the reason why such large downloads as map database updates have not occurred?   The car has received several other downloads through the years, such as 'Pay to park' and Pay to fuel - Both useless in the UK!   (Traffication also updates regularly).

I would recommend toggling the e-sim back on and see what happens. I suspect you may well find it updates the maps.

As pointed out above by @WaveyDavey you should definitely ask the dealer to upgrade your infotainment system to version 1941 or 1969.

32 minutes ago, AlanOsborne said:

Hi again, my Infotainment and Care Connect subscriptions are active until the end of December this year.  However, the e-sim has been 'Toggled off' since I picked the car up, the only connection to the Internet being via my home WiFi when parked up.  Could this be the reason why such large downloads as map database updates have not occurred?   The car has received several other downloads through the years, such as 'Pay to park' and Pay to fuel - Both useless in the UK!   (Traffication also updates regularly).

It could be as the map updates are something like a 25-30gb download. Have you tried setting the eSIM option to on to see if the car then downloads a map update over the following couple of days?

Edited by WaveyDavey

Dear all, I have turned off WiFi and turned on the e-sim, I will wait and see what happens.  I still have about 10 days to the service whereupon I can ask the dealer to update the Infotainment system software and map navigation database as required.  Thank you once again for the help and advice

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlanOsborne said:

Dear all, I have turned off WiFi and turned on the e-sim, I will wait and see what happens.  I still have about 10 days to the service whereupon I can ask the dealer to update the Infotainment system software and map navigation database as required.  Thank you once again for the help and advice

Let us know if it works. 👍🏼

Hi again all, I must admit to being confused, Having turned off WiFi and turned on the e-sim (No subscription) I can no longer access the 'Shop' to e.g. download/ delete apps?  However, if I turn on WiFi (Which of course turns off the e-sim automatically) then I am able to access the 'Shop' to download and delete said apps wherever I park?  The following services are active: - Infotainment Online, Proactive Service, Remote Access, Pay to Fuel, Pay to Park (These two of course don't work in the UK!) and Smart Apps Bundle.  I have no data plans active.  My map database is still 23.6, up from 22.9 via manual installation from the Skoda Portal and software is still 1806.

In order to update the map database and system in general Must I pay for a data plan on the e-sim or will WiFi suffice?  Should I set my phone up as a WiFi Hotspot and use it's data connection?  I have consulted the so-called Digital Manual but it wasn't very clear on what to do?  Finally, I was under the impression that  paying for Remote Access etc. used the e-sim regardless of a separately purchased data plan or even turning on the e-sim?

Yours confused, Alan

28 minutes ago, AlanOsborne said:

Hi again all, I must admit to being confused, Having turned off WiFi and turned on the e-sim (No subscription) I can no longer access the 'Shop' to e.g. download/ delete apps?  However, if I turn on WiFi (Which of course turns off the e-sim automatically) then I am able to access the 'Shop' to download and delete said apps wherever I park?  The following services are active: - Infotainment Online, Proactive Service, Remote Access, Pay to Fuel, Pay to Park (These two of course don't work in the UK!) and Smart Apps Bundle.  I have no data plans active.  My map database is still 23.6, up from 22.9 via manual installation from the Skoda Portal and software is still 1806.

In order to update the map database and system in general Must I pay for a data plan on the e-sim or will WiFi suffice?  Should I set my phone up as a WiFi Hotspot and use it's data connection?  I have consulted the so-called Digital Manual but it wasn't very clear on what to do?  Finally, I was under the impression that  paying for Remote Access etc. used the e-sim regardless of a separately purchased data plan or even turning on the e-sim?

Yours confused, Alan

As I said earlier you don’t need a data plan and you don’t need a WiFi connection to access the Skoda Connect and the Multimedia Connect services. (I don’t have a data plan and I don’t have my car setup up to my home WiFi and my car is downloading maps and apps fine via the car’s eSIM). 

If you keep the WiFi off and the eSIM on are you able to connect to the car in the Skoda Connect app and see all its info etc…. That would confirm the connection via eSIM is ok and that it’s not a mobile blackspot issue or eSIM fault. 

The other possibility is the age of your infotainment software which is very out of date. I’m not sure whether that would affect the use of the online apps and satnav though. 

Edited by WaveyDavey

Hi again, I can confirm that with WiFi off and e-sim on I can still connect to the car via the App and refresh the data, what I cannot do is connect my Phone via wireless Android Auto (Should I so wish) this seems to require the WiFi to be on.

Interestingly, with Wifi on (And e-sim off) I can still access the car via the app, refresh data and 'Honk and Flash' even when parked up in the middle of nowhere with fields all around me!

The car is off to Mitchells Skoda next week for a service, whilst there I will ask some pertinent questions and ask for updates to be applied.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

In my car I don't do anything to specifically "turn off" the WiFi, as it is needed for any wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. I just make sure the e-Sim is turned on.

When I first owned the car I did try disabling the e-Sim, and connecting the WiFi to my home broadband in the home that it may help in downloading updates as I live in a poor mobile signal area. However, I seem to recall it didn't do anything.

Is the issue you're experiencing that your phone will not connect to Android Auto at all? When I first had my Octavia I had many issues with the Bluetooth and wireless CarPlay. On some days it would not connect to Bluetooth automatically, or connect to Wireless CarPlay automatically. It usually required me to go into the car Settings and manually select the device. Then it would connect. It was very frustrating. Every time I used the car you never know if the phone would connect at all... or just to Bluetooth, or maybe even CarPlay. An infotainment software update did fix it, but I was originally on a much earlier version (1668). So... I do think you need to get your infotainment updated by the dealer to at least 1941 or 1969. I think that would fix the connectivity issues.

However, I don't recall having issues with map updates being affected by it. Hopefully a dealer visit, followed by a software update will put everything right.

Edited by JamesK