New Superb Mk4 estate owner

Sounds very nice. The only negative for me is the loss of the permanently live 12v sockets, I find these very useful.

Out of interest do you think there would be room for a larger spare wheel than the space saver?

9 hours ago, davembk said:

It’s now just under two weeks since I collected my Mk4 L&K 193 ps dsg 4x4 estate.

So I thought I’d share a bit about it:

I’d had a 2018 Mk3 non facelift L&K 190 ps dsg fwd which I’ve been very pleased with in the almost 6 years I’ve had it.

I wanted one last estate car before I eventually downsized, so I went for it. 

I’m guessing I might be one of the first in the uk to get one of these. I’ll try to feedback my experiences with it in case it’s useful for anyone thinking about getting one.

Because I tow, I stuck with diesel.

So far:

First impressions are very good. The gadgetry is a leap on from the Mk3 although you could argue that the Mk3 was good anyway.

Example: Self learning parking on the new car. I reversed in an S shape track into a corner of my driveway.

The car asked if I wanted to save the manoeuvre for it to do itself next time.

Self regulating speed in response to reading traffic signs.

Stuff like that.

Other stuff in no particular order:

CD player in glove box  is gone. Apple car play + Android does it all now and I also believe the new car has its own registered SIM.

No more tyre gel. Space saving wheel now. Floor is still at low height so retains maximum space.

Space also gained in rear side of boot because the Canton amplifier etc which was there, now houses in the spare wheel.

Only one umbrella this time, although both doors still have a recess.

Power outlets (the old cig lighter sockets) are no longer permanently live. They come on with ignition.

As far as I can tell, the new car unlike the old, does not after a time, turn the ignition off on an unstarted engine.

The ride and quietness is very good. The old one was great but it seems as if everything is soundproofed a bit more on this new car. I’d say though that the suspension on the old car was gentler. This is when comparing Comfort mode.

Both cars have 18” wheels.

The new car sits quite a lot higher at the back. Maybe all suspension settles and softens. I’m sure the old car was higher when new.

Infotainment. The satnav map on the new car, unlike the old, has no altitude reading.

Regardless, the map seems better and clearer overall although it still carries that trait where, if you expand the view, the text stays small.

Rev limiter, when car in Park:

The new car does not seem so far to have this although I obviously have not tested it too much.

It’s a 7 speed as opposed to the old 6 speed. I’m getting the feeling that it’s longer legged as a result rather than closer geared.

I tow an Eriba Triton caravan, and just like the Mk3 car, the Mk4 is a complete dream when towing and averages just over 35 mpg.

The caravan is a small 950kg aluminium thing but the mpg is still pretty good.

The co2 emissions are stated I think about 157 gm/km whereas the old car was about 132.

Maybe the 4x4 has something to do with that.

The quoted solo mpg is in the high 40’s as opposed to 54 on the old. 

But, I’m getting pretty much the same on the new car albeit without the bike roof racks on yet, and just like with the old, 65 mpg on a steady A road trip has not been over difficult to get, and easily does 54 on the motorway at 60/70 mph

Once the racks are on this may all drop a bit.

Rear seat release from boot is new and it’s great.

Seatbelts add security and tighten up when the new car reaches about 15 mph.

Front seats move back when doors opened, makes exit easier I guess, a nice feature.

All in all this promises to be a great car, an improvement on outgoing one if that were ever possible.

So far I’m happy and still singing it’s praises😊

Hopefully I’ll add more as time goes on.

Thank you very much for a great post, very useful.  My current Superb is the same as your old one except it's a Mk3 facelift.  I have the same Mk4 Superb on order as yours, which was ordered on 14th March, the day orders opened.  The estimated build week is the 2nd week in July meaning I'm unlikely to get the car until September unfortunately.

• Like 1

Dgate,

I think it would be possible to fit a larger spare wheel but it would probably need a bit of diy, because not only does the Canton amplifier fit on top of the side profile of the space saver wheel, but, on top of all that sits the polystyrene tray with all the wheel removal tools. So I think you’d probably need to raise the boot floor, unless the tools stored somewhere else.  

As I have had my MK4 for three weeks now and already done a nice long run in it to Bordeaux here are my reflections on some of your points.

I’d had a 2018 Mk3 non facelift L&K 190 ps dsg fwd which I’ve been very pleased with in the almost 6 years I’ve had it.

I had a Peugeot 508sw hybrid before, nice car but too small for me. Before that a MK3 280ps 4x4.

I wanted one last estate car before I eventually downsized, so I went for it. 

Probably the same for me.

I’m guessing I might be one of the first in the uk to get one of these. I’ll try to feedback my experiences with it in case it’s useful for anyone thinking about getting one.

I got mine on the 3rd June.

Because I tow, I stuck with diesel.

Not my thing

First impressions are very good. The gadgetry is a leap on from the Mk3 although you could argue that the Mk3 was good anyway.

Example: Self learning parking on the new car. I reversed in an S shape track into a corner of my driveway.

Did not go for the parking package.

The car asked if I wanted to save the manoeuvre for it to do itself next time.

If I had known it could do that I would have, love a gadget

Self regulating speed in response to reading traffic signs.

Very useful I have found, although it also responds to road junctions, bit annoyingly, so have turned that off!

CD player in glove box  is gone. Apple car play + Android does it all now and I also believe the new car has its own registered SIM.

Not had a CD player in a car for along tome so no problem

No more tyre gel. Space saving wheel now. Floor is still at low height so retains maximum space.

Space also gained in rear side of boot because the Canton amplifier etc which was there, now houses in the spare wheel.

Never drive a car without a spare wheel on board.

Only one umbrella this time, although both doors still have a recess.

Yea noticed that perhaps two in the L&K, will get a second when I can, the empty pocket is annoying me.

Power outlets (the old cig lighter sockets) are no longer permanently live. They come on with ignition.

Never have a use for 12v sockets.

As far as I can tell, the new car unlike the old, does not after a time, turn the ignition off on an unstarted engine.

Never knew that.

The ride and quietness is very good. The old one was great but it seems as if everything is soundproofed a bit more on this new car. I’d say though that the suspension on the old car was gentler. This is when comparing Comfort mode.

Seems fine to me, I only ever have it set in comfort mode

Both cars have 18” wheels.

Me too

The new car sits quite a lot higher at the back. Maybe all suspension settles and softens. I’m sure the old car was higher when new.

Not noticed this.

Infotainment. The satnav map on the new car, unlike the old, has no altitude reading.

Yes saw that, why?

Regardless, the map seems better and clearer overall although it still carries that trait where, if you expand the view, the text stays small.

Cannot tell motorways from A roads, as they are all the same colour, will probably mostly use Waze with android Auto

It’s a 7 speed as opposed to the old 6 speed. I’m getting the feeling that it’s longer legged as a result rather than closer geared.

Traveled through France at a steady 130k and it seemed very relaxed.

I tow an Eriba Triton caravan, and just like the Mk3 car, the Mk4 is a complete dream when towing and averages just over 35 mpg.

The caravan is a small 950kg aluminium thing but the mpg is still pretty good.

Just tow a small box trailer, but have not tried it yet.

The co2 emissions are stated I think about 157 gm/km whereas the old car was about 132.

Maybe the 4x4 has something to do with that.

The quoted solo mpg is in the high 40’s as opposed to 54 on the old. 

Got 44 mpg in France fully loaded with stuff and three people, not bad for a petrol.

It was a £90 option on the MK3!, did get it but it was the only thing on the car that failed in four years! (cable problems)

Seatbelts add security and tighten up when the new car reaches about 15 mph.

Front seats move back when doors opened, makes exit easier I guess, a nice feature.

Yes

My problems.

The doors will not lock and unlock at the handles unless you have already opened once with the key, they were fine.

Settings keep changing for no apparent reason.

Boot keeps trying to shut on you when you are loading and unloading.

Apart from that everything is fine.

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, philsmith said:

Boot keeps trying to shut on you when you are loading and unloading.

Maybe you are activating the virtual pedal while its open?

51 minutes ago, Didko said:

Maybe you are activating the virtual pedal while its open?

yes that is the problem, it is too sensitive to movement, usually these things are the opposite!,

I have found that double clicking the opening switch when opened seems to help, but not sure.

Posted (edited)

Yes,

I use a sheet to protect the bumper when our dog goes in and out of her dog crate and I sometimes find that the sheet triggers it.

Fun 😊

Edited by davembk
Grammar

On 23/06/2024 at 23:48, davembk said:

Thanks for sharing your first feedbacks.

Note that the é points above were already available on MK3. ;) I have these on my MY17.

"Rear seat release from boot is new and it’s great."

This was a £90 option on the MK3!

even my dealer at the time said it was a bit mean of Skoda and should have been a standard feature

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philsmith said:

"I'm loving the Citroen DS23 Safari Estate in the background "

It's for sale if your interested.

Unfortunately SWMBO would probably kill me...

21 hours ago, philsmith said:

"I'm loving the Citroen DS23 Safari Estate in the background "

It's for sale if your interested.

Me too!  Father had a DS23 Safari semi-auto NMO 884L, both great cars you have there.  The virtual cockpit still looks a bit strange with the curved binnacle and rectangular screen.  However, you have chosen the perfect exterior and interior colors as far as I am concerned!

On 30/06/2024 at 16:38, Danoid said:

Where’s your pictures? 😁

Ok here are a couple:

Another observation when comparing with the mk3

Rear passenger heating controls: No air flow control wheel anymore. Only directional control. Seems a bit of an oversight. Maybe there’s a control that the driver has instead eg heat or not heat the rear. Haven’t looked at that yet. Heated rear seats still there though.

No more front fog lights. I think the led headlights do it all now.

The little offside under dash cubbyhole is now gone.

Always the way when you’re comparing against what went before. Otherwise one would be none the wiser. No getting away from it being a lovely car though 😊

F654BBC2-D417-461E-B065-ABD930FBFF9A.jpeg

39DD69FA-A091-4C59-95FB-B3DBC0E4413A.jpeg

• Love it! 1