Octavia 1.0 tsi manual

Hey all, been away for a while as I’ve been over on the Yeti page which has been pretty much faultless for 6 years barring 2 front abs sensors. 

today I got bored and popped down to the local Skoda dealer for a look around and started looking around Octy estates (3). Salesman said he had one coming in a few days from another site that was closer to my budget (buying outright plus px). Then mentioned it was a 1.0 3 pot? I didn’t know this was an octy engine thought it was only in Fabia but everyday is a learning day.

so to my question.  He only had 1 other octy estate 1.0 on site but it was in the body shop for PDR so I couldn’t road test that. He’s going to call when the car is on site in a few days. But, trusted people of briskoda.  What’s the 3 pot like?  Will it lug a heavy estate body?  I like out in the sticks so overtaking tractors etc is a regular thing.  I currently have a 1.2 yeti dsg which isn’t too bad at overtaking as long as it’s in “sport” and preplanned, thought out and a landing strip of clear space. Is the 3 pot comparable to the earlier 1.2’s?  My other mk1 octy’s were 1.6’s and although not sporty in anyway managed these pretty well if your not scared of using the full rev range.

thanks all

The 1.0 tsi is not a rocket, but it's not slow. I also found it to be very economical engine using e10 within my previous Scala 1.0tsi dsg. What I did find with the 1.0tsi mated to the dsg, it was a little slow to engage dsg on take off, bit of a lag, around a second, but something I adapted my driving style, too. So it's probably better mated up to a manual box. I don't have that issue with my current 1.5tsi act dsg estate.

• Like 1

Funny you say that I have similar with the dog in the yeti but just got used to it over the years.  Watched a few reviews about the 1.0 and spoke to a friend who has a golf with same engine and he enjoys it but it’s all city driving. Thanks for reply though. Kinda easing my worries a little. Hopefully see the car soon and able to test it. Could be the new addition. 

• Like 1

The Octavia 1.0tsi is actually not that heavy compared to most direct competitors, I can only think of the slightly smaller Peugeot 308 estate being lighter.

Acceleration times to 100kph are supposedly a fraction under 10 seconds, which is pretty respectable for a 'lawn mower' sized engine but expect performance to be noticeably compromised when loaded.

The turbo is more tuned for low end torque but I thought the engine revved more easily and smoothly than I expected from a 3 pot, though not as turbine smooth as the larger 4 pots.

There should be no problem with motorways, or the hills :) in your area. If you lived in a hilly area a bit more capacity would be welcome.

Consumption can be outstandingly good when driven sensibly, or just reasonable with a heavier right foot.

Performance and especially economy should be noticeably better than your 1.2 Yeti imo due to less weight and better aero.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 2

They are good engines.  My other half owned a 1.0tsi Octavia and it went very well.  We even have the same engine in our Golf Match 1.0TSI Estate manual.  They are really good engines.  Long runs will return you 70mpg; Short runs about 50-60mpg.  Don't expect anything in terms of performance, but it will get up to speed reasonably quickly and sit on the fast roads all day if you want it to.  Bumbling around town is also easy.  Expect to use the gearbox and drop it down a cog when it gets hilly.

Avoid the 1.0tsi engine with a DQ200 box; engine is fine, but the gearbox will make the car labour and makes it an unpleasant experience.  Fuel economy will also be poorer on a DSG gearbox.

• Like 3

I had a 1.0 litre Octavia saloon.  I genuinely think it was the best car I ever owned.  Fast enough for me and would cruise at 70mph all day long.  I swapped it in January for a 1.0 litre Karoq which is a heavier car.  Again no problems with the engine but I am not a boy racer.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mikek3111 said:

Funny you say that I have similar with the dog in the yeti but just got used to it over the years.  Watched a few reviews about the 1.0 and spoke to a friend who has a golf with same engine and he enjoys it but it’s all city driving. Thanks for reply though. Kinda easing my worries a little. Hopefully see the car soon and able to test it. Could be the new addition. 

My mate owned an Up GTI 1.0tsi manual, the engine seemed impressive, although the car was a bit lighter.

Regarding my dsg (dq200), it's my second mated to the 1.5tsi engine, the both auto boxes have performed faultlessly, always smooth & my current Octavia has now covered 66k now.  

The start and stop system has always been a bit of a pain within all my vag cars, so I tend to switch it off, whether it be the 1.0tsi or the 1.5ti engines. 

I also had an ongoing boot leak into my previous Octavia (not this one), so I'd take out the spare wheel & if it's at all wet or feels sticky under it, leave it well alone. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

My mate owned an Up GTI 1.0tsi manual, the engine seemed impressive, although the car was a bit lighter.

Regarding my dsg (dq200), it's my second mated to the 1.5tsi engine, the both auto boxes have performed faultlessly, always smooth & my current Octavia has now covered 66k now.  

The start and stop system has always been a bit of a pain within all my vag cars, so I tend to switch it off, whether it be the 1.0tsi or the 1.5ti engines. 

I also had an ongoing boot leak into my previous Octavia (not this one), so I'd take out the spare wheel & if it's at all wet or feels sticky under it, leave it well alone. 

IIRC I think my mk2 Octavia had the issue with the leaky boot, there was a fix on here like sealing something inside the inner wing? Never happened again after that. Seems a common thing on the octy’s unless there’s a new issue causing leaky boots that you refer too?

• Like 1

Thanks all for replies.  Still waiting for the car to arrive.  Managed to see an identical copy of the car at Skoda today. Could have been the one that was in the body shop today. Salesman gave me the keys and allowed me to look around but couldn’t drive it as it was already sold and awaiting collection.  Hopefully it will be on site late this week early next.  I’ll let you all know how it goes. Don’t know if I mentioned before but it’s in energy blue.  Never seen the colour in person before only in pics and have to say I don’t hate it, which is weird for a free paint that some people seem to be offended by 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikek3111 said:

IIRC I think my mk2 Octavia had the issue with the leaky boot, there was a fix on here like sealing something inside the inner wing? Never happened again after that. Seems a common thing on the octy’s unless there’s a new issue causing leaky boots that you refer too?

I stripped everything out of my boot, I could see where the water was coming in from, but unable to stop it, as it was leaking in from a seam lower down, tracking in from somewhere else. I didn't really want to take the rear bumper off to investigate further. Also took the rear light clusters off, too. 

Then moved onto an estate, as I needed the extra room. 

Now having an intermittent issue with the display screen, turning off an on itself. 

Edited by Phoenixboy

2 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

I stripped everything out of my boot, I could see where the water was coming in from, but unable to stop it, as it was leaking in from a seam lower down, tracking in from somewhere else. I didn't really want to take the rear bumper off to investigate further. Also took the rear light clusters off, too. 

Then moved onto an estate, as I needed the extra room. 

Now having an intermittent issue with the display screen, turning off an on itself. 

It’s all part of the fun 😂 tbh today I’ve been out and test drove a Honda CRV, Civic estate, mondeo estate and Fabia estate and each of them had good points and bad points but while talking to the wife each car even she was comparing them to Octavia estate and we keep heading back in that direction. For the price point it offers so much more for the money than all the others despite 2 of them being nearly 2k cheaper. So unless the drive when the car eventually arrives on site is horrendous I think it’s the route we are taking. 

Are all the mk3’s stop/start?  I know it has push button start but it’s not listed in spec as stop start.  Has anyone found a way to code this out yet if so?

Edited by Mikek3111
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikek3111 said:

It’s all part of the fun 😂 tbh today I’ve been out and test drove a Honda CRV, Civic estate, mondeo estate and Fabia estate and each of them had good points and bad points but while talking to the wife each car even she was comparing them to Octavia estate and we keep heading back in that direction. For the price point it offers so much more for the money than all the others despite 2 of them being nearly 2k cheaper. So unless the drive when the car eventually arrives on site is horrendous I think it’s the route we are taking. 

Are all the mk3’s stop/start?  I know it has push button start but it’s not listed in spec as stop start.  Has anyone found a way to code this out yet if so?

Mine is stop and start, I'd presume the rest are now, just a button to press to disable it. Mine being the SE spec, it also has a key being on an 19 plate. I purposely picked a lower spec car for less gizmos & smaller wheels. Load space is great, also like the fact you can flip the rear seats down from the boot area, too. Rear seats don't fully fold flat, though, but not far off. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

Mine is stop and start, I'd presume the rest are now, just a button to press to disable it. Mine being the SE spec, it also has a key being on an 19 plate. I purposely picked a lower spec car for less gizmos & smaller wheels. Load space is great, also like the fact you can flip the rear seats down from the boot area, too. Rear seats don't fully fold flat, though, but not far off. 

I noticed the flip down seat lever, not too worried about them not folding flat, rarely carry loads that the boot couldn’t handle and they aren’t completely flat in the yeti either. I think the one we are waiting for is a se tech so had a start button, auto tailgate, (the kids liked that part) but also on a 19 plate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikek3111 said:

I noticed the flip down seat lever, not too worried about them not folding flat, rarely carry loads that the boot couldn’t handle and they aren’t completely flat in the yeti either. I think the one we are waiting for is a se tech so had a start button, auto tailgate, (the kids liked that part) but also on a 19 plate

Auto tailgate sounds good, never had that luxury😂12v boot power socket good, too. Estate's are so much more practical, my first in over 35 years of driving. The 1.0tsi is surprisingly peppy, doesn't feel underpowered, within my opinion. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

It will be only my second estate in 27 years. I had a 2000 Astra estate years ago. After taking out the 1.6 and fitting the 2.0 turbo it was so much fun to drive. But once we moved from London it was so thirsty it needed changing. I live around 90 miles from my parents and the Astra would drink the best part of a full tank each way 🙈

• Like 1

An annoying colleague at my wife's work claims her physically larger Mondeo wagon (Australianese for estate) is super huge and can carry everything, always volunteers to move equipment to events so that lots of people can help load and admire the vehicles internal capacity and her selfless 'volunteering' (in paid work hours of course).

Funnily enough she is never able (family commitments?) to bring the stuff back, when there is no one there to impress, so that duty often falls to my wife and our Octavia estate.

Not only does my wife fit in equipment complete that had to be disassembled for the Mondeo but on more than one occasion managed a two-trip Mondeo load in one Octavia trip.

Wisely, my wife keeps quiet about the Octavia's Tardis interior because you can't argue with an idiot.

It really is a 'Swiss army knife' of a car, can deliver near hybrid consumption, more than enough performance (for us) when needed, roomy and a joy to drive interstate. Seriously nothing presently on the (Aus) market worth the expense to change imo and I dislike all the now obligatory safe driving aids in new cars.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 3