Estate boot dimensions ?

Hi. Pick up my new to me 2020 MkIV estate on Friday. Could anyone please give me an approx length & width of the boot floor?

I need a big boot space for a big Lurcher dog, Lurchers are semi-unique in that they are only really comfortable travelling if lying flat with legs fully extended. When I viewed the car I was sure the boot space would be big enuff for him but I have just taken delivery of a PVC load liner which looks tiny. Please could anyone tell me approx length & width of the load space?

4.jpg

Caspar 2.jpg

9 minutes ago, RADIOTWO said:

42" long X 40" Wide 

Cheers. Looks like they sent me a liner for the saloon, or a totally different car !

I regularly carry 2 lurchers in mine and a bit disappointed in the mk 4. Slope of the boot and the raised floor in the hybrid IV version make the boot a lot smaller than my MK3 did.

Doesnt help that they need a comfortable bed to lie on too which eats up space

MK3 used to be able to handle 3 lurchers and a Labrador. Can fit the 3 lurchers in my Mk 4 but they are not comfortable. Labrador has to go on back seat

Edited by Novascape

On 27/06/2024 at 23:57, Novascape said:

I regularly carry 2 lurchers in mine and a bit disappointed in the mk 4. Slope of the boot and the raised floor in the hybrid IV version make the boot a lot smaller than my MK3 did.

Doesnt help that they need a comfortable bed to lie on too which eats up space

MK3 used to be able to handle 3 lurchers and a Labrador. Can fit the 3 lurchers in my Mk 4 but they are not comfortable. Labrador has to go on back seat

The mark 4 is more of a coupe than a real load lugging estate car in the way that the previous model was. It looks more stylish and is nicer inside, just nowhere near as much space inside of it. Items that fitted easily in my mark 3 Estate car just won’t fit into my current car.

Not sure I'd call the MK4 wagon a coupe.... Mk4 still has the largest load capacity in it's class.

Comparing Mk3 & Mk4:

Mk3 - Rear seat folded 1718 litres    Rear seat up 588 litres

Mk4 - Rear seat folded 1700 litres    Rear seat up 640 litres

With all seats up, Mk4 wins.

As long as you don't have an IV model. The 640ltrs is based on the no raised floor option I believe.

My issue is mainly the raised floor. You lose to much space which then makes the angle of back slope too sharp.

I could fit a 190cm+ long wardrobe in my Mk3. Tried same in my mk4 and couldnt shut boot without shattering the back window all over my drive.

Same with my mountain bike. Used to be able to fit whole in mk3. But no way I can in the MK4 as handlebars would go through back window too

38 minutes ago, Novascape said:

As long as you don't have an IV model. The 640ltrs is based on the no raised floor option I believe.

My issue is mainly the raised floor. You lose to much space which then makes the angle of back slope too sharp.

I could fit a 190cm+ long wardrobe in my Mk3. Tried same in my mk4 and couldnt shut boot without shattering the back window all over my drive.

Same with my mountain bike. Used to be able to fit whole in mk3. But no way I can in the MK4 as handlebars would go through back window too

I don't have the raised floor. Can it be adjusted to the lower position to increase your load height, or is it fixed on the IV? If so, I can see the problem.

I'm pretty impressed with just how much the (non-IV) Mk4 can carry, but for sheer load capacity nothing compares to the old Volvo 240 wagon I had years ago. The boxy body and vertical tailgate was certainly practical if not pretty! 

So the issue is the IV rather than the mk4 per se.

For mountain bikes it also depends on the frame size. I could never get mine in the boot of a Superb let alone an Octavia without taking the front wheel off.

• Like 1