Why I will never buy an electric vehicle...

Happy_owner

mn1604_cell_1_.jpg.243ef0466721d35079089c08936a94db.jpg

1 The technology will not get out of Beta mode in the remaining years of my life - I don't intend to be someone's guinea pig in my sunset decades.

2 Microsoft have never written a finished version of Windows. If they built aircraft, they would still be riveting bits of the wing today at 35,000 feet. That is the electric car business as it stands now.

3 The eco-loons and climate extremists are a minor distraction, in net terms.

4 Hydrocarbon fuel is going nowhere.

5 The misguided dash for battery power means some great petrol and diesel bargain vehicles are going to come on stream.

6 No-one will ever say on their deathbed, preparing to face an eternity of non-existence, "I wish I had driven a battery powered car with all the hassle and uncertainty involved."

Now over to you wise folks of Planet Skoda...

ecoloons.jpg.93213d43bdc8114287df6c5bc42a64a4.jpg

Edited by Happy_owner
Making sense!!!
  • Haha 1

I would never say never. 

I don't know about the UK but prices for some (mostly Chinese) EV have suddenly plummeted here in Aus recently. An ORA Good Cat can be had for A$35k (18,400 pounds) drive away with a '7 year warranty'

That's good in one way as it means I am looking again at EV options for our mostly urban driving, but it means that early adopters, even recent purchasers, suffered some major unexpected depreciation.

What I don't like is the Chinese throw-away design mentality, lack of local spare sparts, financially supporting the CCP (or pairing my phone with their system, which is also why I don't have tiktok).

I'm still better off running our existing old, still economical, ICE cars into the ground than getting a current new EV, but I will be keeping a close eye on battery tech and/or 2nd hand prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ootohere said:

The electric hearse might just suffer thermal runaway and job done. 

The single-use hearse - you could be on to something… :nod:

G

• Like 1

People do get some weird ideas about EV Batteries and the size and range they go.

A pretty certain range when you know the vehicle.

The big engine hearses were because they suited the slow journeys, much like a BEV would be.

Light weight bodies (the vehicle) 

The Queen's coffin with her in it  could have traveled in one of their Branded Hearse but an EV one from Balmoral to Holyrood with a charging session where they had the stopover in Brechin. 

• Like 1

There are drivers and owners of EV,s that have had decades of driving all kinds and still do drive all kinds.  Not just people with a zip up the back of their heads.  Old and not so old that might try and find they like a EV so drive them and not just because an employer says they have to.