Headlamp Washers

garym2000

I can't recall anyone having this done or had it done as a retrofit. You would need the larger washer bottle fitted to Octavias with factory-fit headlight washers, a headlight washer system pump, piping, adaptors, bumper-mounted jet heads, coverings for the jets, and brackets. As far as electrics are concerned, it may simply be a matter of connecting the windscreen and headlight washer pumps to the same wiring. I believe that Jon played around with his washer system to provide water injection, so maybe he can advise further.

the polo gti has the ones that com out the bumper and spray then go back down again! look quite cool

Hmm...well, if they're available on the Polo GTi and Golf GTi (the Mk IV at that), wonder how hard it would be to put them into a Skoda... :scratchch

Rob.

I was hoping just to be able to tap into the existing windscreen washer pipes & electrical system, so that when you wash the screen the lights get a squirt to, do you think that would be possible?

Any idea what a pain in the **** it may be to fit the ones off the 4x4 or the golf/polo?

Cheers!

Not being too mechanically minded, if it's just water pressure that forces them up, is it not just a matter of connecting them into the windscreen washer jets using a t-piece? The mounting of them may cause more of a problem of course....

Routing of the pipes is also a consideration as the are not normal washer pipes, they have a 10mm internal bore which makes them less flexable.

Also you would have to cut holes in the bumper and adapt a cap (which has to be painted) to fit on the top of them when they are closed.

I think also the pump is different as it provides a greater pressure to clean the lights and force the jets up.

The last car I had with headlamp washers only washed the headlights when the lights were switched on. Is the VAG system the same?? Would be a bit of a nightmare washing your lights everytime the windscreen washers were activated. You'd need a HUGH washer bottle......

Isnt it just the Fabia and Superb that have the pop up washers?.. ColinDs new white monster has Xenons, but the washers are little turrets on the bumper.
On the fabia with Xenons, you get the pop-up washer jets. Works when you wash the screen, although there are a couple of seconds delay between the screen wash and the lights wash so you can just wash the screen if you're quick on the stick ;)

Just took a couple of photos. See attachments :D

848.attach

849.attach

Its a different pump and as Ross says, it gives BIG pressure. Just what you need for spraying an intercooler :D

Fitting the new washer reservoir is an easy job, but it is a bit fiddly. Running the pipes is relatively simple. For the Octavia typoe that are always up ("stalks" sticking out from the bumper) I'd say relatively easy to do, probably take a morning to do.

Jon

The electrics won't be quite as easy to sort out as I first thought given that the OEM headlight washers are wired to operate when the windscreen washers are used and the headlights are on. I would still connect them as I suggested - assuming that the wiring is up to the task - and accept that the headlights will get washed more often than they need to be!