New Brakes......

redbaron

Now got my new discs pads and fluid on the car.....

Blackdiamond discs all round drilled and grooved with Ferodo DS3000 pads..

only done 100 miles or so but the stopping power is awesome and so far beyond the stock setup (which is not bad on the vRS anyway)

Will report more when i have had a chance to push them on dry tarmac but its looking good.

No, not a great effort, but they aren't that good when cold.

They also squeal worse than that bloke in Deliverance and the dust is just plain evil.

However they do give the stopping effect of hitting a large immovable object :D

Simon "track god" Horton says drilled are no good.. :new_silly Jon and I are going to prove him wrong.. grooved would be enough with ds2500 but drilled better with 3000 as they generate a lot of gas which needs to disappear to keep pad in contact with disc. :smileyrai

drilled is good, and grooved is even better, but is they get v hot and then wet they will warp and crack easier than just grooved ones!!

As long as you have a good compound pad and a clean (de glazzed) brake disc surface, you can't go far wrong. As for the number of pots, this mainly just helps spread the braking pressure and ensures that the pads and discs make firm contact all over the surface.

The main thing about out braking someone else is mainly down to the mentality of the driver and his judgement skills. you just having to balance the distance and speed of the car your chasing and not overshooting yourself and ending up in the kitty litter!! Also be very comitteed and trust your car / brakes 100%.

si

Hmm, maybe my discs haven't ever got hot enough :(

I've run the grooved and drilled for 10,500 track miles and I've never cracked them, even when you could hear the water hitting the discs and spitting as it evapourated.

• Administrators

Yep, had 2500's on the last one, helped alot and as I do 90% more normal driving over track, I have to retain some degree of sanity.

Can source Black Diamonds from DemonTweak or Awesome can supply Pagid. The 2500's are a given. It's all typical last minute stuff, how would the dimpled EBC stack up? A trade off between drilled and not drilled?

• Administrators
trust your car / brakes 100%.

As with climbing, trust your contact points and ability. Worry about the loose gear later

:shiner:

I see brakes and tyres as the contact points, hence I'm never fussed about been faster than car x, just fussed about stopping.

Fair point about out braking and having had the 2500's on the front on the motorway, the 5 cars behind mis judged it aswell. For the record I left alot of space and what began gradually ahead turned to a fairly quick stop, so as it tricked up I gently braked then as the stop request trickled up the field to the car in front of me I stopped...old fiesta's stop quite well, Toyota Corrolla's don't.

Guess we need a bumper sticker...

In my experience, DS3000's spit out hot metallic fillings which imbed themselves in your wheel laquer. They don't half stop though...probably cause they are biting chunks out of your discs as well!

Steve