Service questions

Quinten

Starting the car yesterday afternoon I discovered the service indicator telling me I had 1000 miles left before it required service. Nothing new to me as it has been almost 10K miles since it last was serviced (by dealer before delivery to me). The service I'm going to need is at 45K miles, which I guess makes it a 40K mile service (as the service book stamps show it once had 15K between services). Since I'm at work (and can't look into the manual myself) and like to be prepared before I phone the garage, is there anyone around who knows what sort of things require changing/servicing this time around? Just oil/filters? Plugs too?

I will ask them to check brakes as well, and if they require replacing, I will consider upgrading them to something more grippy. What sort of price should I keep in mind for changing fronts/backs? Rough indication will do cos if the price is roughly equal to what garage will charge me then I might as well go for better ones.

Thanks,

Q.

** gulp **

By the looks of it a major service then. And looking at the prices of the DS2500's, I imagine not far off from normal Skoda parts.

Are the airfilter and pollen filter servicable at all or do they need replacing? I've learned this weekend that some parts are just replaced instead of serviced, even though they are dead easy to clean (MAF sensor is a good example, thanks Des :D).

Mine had the 40k variable a couple of months ago, as already stated its a fairly major service. The 60k on the other hand is even more, because although the cambelt life is supposed to be 120k I have been recommend that its replaced at 60k.

Don't forget Nick, I have no mechanical knowledge and had to rely on Des to fit a DV... so I have no problems paying for brake fluids, but if it needs changing I'd rather upgrade at the same time to save me making the same expense twice.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what is the difference between pads and discs? If there is any difference, which ones does my (real) RS have?

Do you mean what are they? I have about the same technical knowledge but I believe the discs are the big round silver things and the pads are the things that 'grab' the big round silver things to make you stop! :D

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what is the difference between pads and discs? If there is any difference, which ones does my (real) RS have?

1. Discs are attached to the hub and go round and round. They are made of cast iron (except in high performance cars where they may be made of more exotic materials)

2. Pads are made of friction material (used to be asbestos!) and are contained within a caliper, which is stationary. When you apply the brakes, the caliper squeezes inwards, and presses the pads on the surface of the disc. The disc is slowed down by the friction, and you stop (you hope :p ).

3. Both - or you are in trouble.

For more info try here. Howstuffworks is great for simple explanations of stuff like this.

RS has discs all round (front/rear) and pads. Caliper "squeezes" the pads on the disc surfaces.

Some cars (povery spec Octy) has brake drums at the rear....sort of looks like a biscuit tin... and shoe brakes which go on the inside. Drum mechanism pushes the shoes on to the inside of drum (not the circlar face).

Edit: Doh! Rich got in there first.

... big oily metal thing under the bonnet of my car? :confuse:

You need to get yourself some MultiClean, Rich - the group buy's still open ... :D

PS you found the little handle by the driver's door then :p

1. Discs are attached to the hub and go round and round. They are made of cast iron (except in high performance cars where they may be made of more exotic materials)

2. Pads are made of friction material (used to be asbestos!) and are contained within a caliper' date=' which is stationary. When you apply the brakes, the caliper squeezes inwards, and presses the pads on the surface of the disc. The disc is slowed down by the friction, and you stop (you hope :p ).

3. Both - or you are in trouble.

For more info try here. Howstuffworks is great for simple explanations of stuff like this.

Thanks Nick, it seems I knew the answer all along, but somehow the penny got stuck in between the sawdust and a piece of straw and I just didnt get it...

It does raise another question though; can you 'mix & match' pads and discs? In other words, if the garage tells me the pads need replacing can I just upgrade those and leave the original discs or do they both have to be upgraded at the same time?

Feel free to give me some negative reputation though if I'm asking a FAQ ;)

In other words' date=' if the garage tells me the pads need replacing can I just upgrade those and leave the original discs or do they both have to be upgraded at the same time?

[/quote']

Yeah, pads are designed to wear out quicker than discs, so you will probably change your pads on their own. If you're upgrading, then you can just stick better pads on, though do some research into whether they will damage a standard disc through being more abrasive... :)

Rob.

Mind if I use that as an excuse for SWMBO? :D

"Well, these pads are tougher so they last longer, but they'll damage the disc, so I'll need a new one of those, so they'll last longer too, and it'll save money in the long run, so you can have shoes and things..." :D

Rob.