Engine warning light on, Ignition coils?

vRS_Si

Driving out of work performance was really lumpy, car was hesitating before pulling away.

Thought it was maybe some dirt in the fuel tank as it cleared and was fine until 2 miles from home.

Pulled away from a roundabout and the orange 'engine' warning light on the dash came on.

Drove home very gently, but it seemed fine, wasn't behaving oddly.

Spoken to the dealer 'Jacksons of Basingstoke' who said to just pop it down to them tomorrow (easier said than done!) and that it'd be fine to drive until then.

Is 40miles to work and then the dealer going to do it any harm?

Do the leaving work symptoms sound like ignition coil failure?

Could be, Mine started to miss under load but fairly quickly developed to all the time. If dealer says its Ok to drive it should be BUT DRIVE really Gently !

I have heard of one person who was told the car was OK to drive although considerably further than you are going & it all let go but this wasnt a coil pack.

If it is coil pack get dealer to change the lot, they will if you ask

Si, where are you based? I could possibly pop over and see what codes you have in the ECU then you can decide whether you want to drive it.

If you don't fell comfortable with driving it, call the AA number in the handbook and get it recovered.

Si' date=' where are you based? I could possibly pop over and see what codes you have in the ECU then you can decide whether you want to drive it.

If you don't fell comfortable with driving it, call the AA number in the handbook and get it recovered.[/quote']

I'm in Farnborough

Which direction are you?

Was going to phone the dealer back in the morning to find out if they've got a courtesy car they can give me..

Error code 17705.

Strangely enough, the same code as mine, pressure loss between turbo and inet.

Oh Jacksons in Basingstoke are going to be so happy, they now have 2, black, 51 plate RSs in with the same fault, one modded and one completely standard :D

Yep it is, usually.

I've tried 3 dump valves, checked all pipes in the system between turbo and inlet manifold, changed the N75, cleaned up the MAP sensor (at the top of the intercooler) and changed the MAF.

Only thing I haven't played with is the solenoid swith which hides under the little cover with the dipstick thingy in it.

What dump valves have you tried?

What boost you running? I come up with the fault recently when doing some turbo rework on a customers car, turned out that i needed an uprated spring in the DV as it was lifting it off its seat at full chat and loosing boost (that was in a hyperboost DV btw).

Just a thought.

Cheers for your help last night Jon!

Drove to work and got the AA out.

Was kind of hoping for Relay Plus with the hire car, but the guy wanted to have a look at it first.

Plugged his kit in and it was showing error code P 0172 - System too rich

Bizarre as when Jon checked it, it was runnin too lean and the pressure drop fault code seems to have disappeared.

:confused:

He re-set the fault code and i drove to the dealer for them to check it out.

Seems to be runnin fine at the moment if slightly down on power and the dump vavle seems particularly noisey. Typically the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Booked it in for a proper check-over but got to wait 3 weeks!!!

If the DV is particularly noisey and the car feels under powered does this not point to the DV being knackered?

Also the error code would also appear to point to this......

Si your running a standard DV still aren't you? If you can get to a dealer get yourslef an new OEM one...I think they're under

Si,

I spoke to Jacksons, there were no codes in it on their machine, so nice Mr AA man had erased what I said should be left in there for the dealer to see :rolleyes:

My dump valves? On the Forge I run the stiffest spring they do (blue) but have also tried the yellow and the green ones, same fault. Gave it a full service as well. Just to be on the safe side I then reverted to standard, same fault. As a last resort I bought a Bailey one. Guess what? Same fault. So it ain't the DV.

Then went on to check all the hoses, so apparent splits, but, to be on the safe side I bought a full set of Samcos and fitted them. Still there.

Next up, change the N75 valve. Nop not that either. On to the MAP sensor, nope not that either. As I say, after talking to Ade on Sunday, the only things left are a new solenoid and a new intercooler.

Originally Posted by vRS_Si

Booked it in for a proper check-over but got to wait 3 weeks!!!

Why?

Apparently they have work coming out of their ears now the Aldershot dealer has closed and they have next to no hire cars (Jon knows all about this!!)

hmm was going to wait until the trip to Jabbasport for the dump vavle but looks like the wallet might be opened early!

A friend connected up the Vag-Com tool to mine the other day to see if the DTC 17705 error was still on the car, it was.

I also now have a "too rich" fault, similiar to vRS_Si. What causes this, could it be just down to fuel I bought ??

I would assume if the DV is failing then the ECU is over fueling to compensate for differing air mass values within the intake, have you tried replacing the DV yet yourself? "rich" is the air/fuel ratio rather than the quality of the last fill up.

Is your VAG-com friend local? ;):D would be wiling to pay for a quick diag on me own yoke...

Cheers

Fergal

I would assume if the DV is failing then the ECU is over fueling to compensate for differing air mass values within the intake' date=' have you tried replacing the DV yet yourself? "rich" is the air/fuel ratio rather than the quality of the last fill up.

Is your VAG-com friend local? ;):D would be wiling to pay for a quick diag on me own yoke...

Cheers

Fergal[/quote']

I haven't changed anything on the car since I got it. The 17705 fault was on the car when still under warranty, so I feel if something is causing this fault the garage should replace it as they didn't cure the problem when they were made aware of it.

PM me you location, I'll see if he'll be around your area, if he's not he might be calling to me one of the days so I could arrange for you to be there.