Golf Dash into Octy Mk1 - a bit techy..

richm

Anyone familiar with the different versions of Mk4 Golf/Bora instrument?

As I understand it the mk4 dash is available in a variety of guises..

with or without CAN gateway, changeover around 2000MY part number 1J0 919 xxx for early non-CAN and 1J0 920 xxx for later ones with CAN gateway

alongside this, early versions used "immo2" type immobiliser with type ID13 transponders, with later ones using "immo3" imobiliser with crypto48 transponders.

This changeover is around 1998 as far as i can establish.

Now what i'm interested in is if the xxx919xxx or xxx920xxx part number reflects the immo type in any way??

Now the Octy 2001> (not sure about earlier ones) uses IMMO3 and crypto48 transponder, with CAN gateway, so to be compatible a golf dash needs to be 1J0 920 xxx so that it has CAN gateway + IMMO3 , is this correct? Or can a xxx920xxx dash still be incompatible?

*edit* oh and it needs to be VDO..

Sorry, bit of a longshot, but someone may know! :thumbup:

Click here for some info on cluster part numbers.

I am after a 1J0 920 926 A cluster for my Octavia to complete the red/blue dash conversion.

By the way, make sure you get VDO gauges and not Motormeter ones, they don't fit!

Click here for some info on cluster part numbers.

I am after a 1J0 920 926 A cluster for my Octavia to complete the red/blue dash conversion.

By the way, make sure you get VDO gauges and not Motormeter ones, they don't fit!

:thumbup: great link thank you.. oh yeah, forgot the VDO bit, added to my original post :)

• 3 months later...

OK, I've picked this one up again now, and found brand new 1J0 920 926 AX cluster.

BUT.. I'm having major headaches with adaption :mad:

This is going into a Mk1 Octy vRS with Immo3 immobiliser so should be straightforward. I have the 4-digit PIN/SKC code for the dash which has been extracted by two independent methods and I'm happy it's correct. Follwing Eddy.H's guide and the equivalent VagCom procedures I come upon 2 problems :-

1, it won't login with that PIN to be able to match keys

2, it won't adapt to the engine ECU because it reports Channel 50 not available.. although I suspect this is because it won't login properly.

Anyone done this swap and can shed any light on what I try next or what I may be doing wrong?

One other question - the centre Multifunction display works fine, but it doesn't display remaining fuel mileage range - is this a limitation of the particular cluster functionality or is there a soft coding feature that needs setting up?

Any pointers or help much appreciated!! The dash looks great and I don't want to have to go back to the original one now :(

Are you sure the clocks you have a brand new and not just 'zeroed'? If they're not brand new you need the SKC for your car AND the SKC for the new clocks. Only 'virgin' clocks can be fitted with just the SKC for the car.

If you need anymore help ask here or use MSN (my details are in my profile).

To get range to empty the EEPROM needs to be reprogrammed.

Are you sure the clocks you have a brand new and not just 'zeroed'? If they're not brand new you need the SKC for your car AND the SKC for the new clocks. Only 'virgin' clocks can be fitted with just the SKC for the car. Although I can't be 100% certain, I bought the cluster as "brand new unused" and both the mileage is zero and the VIN unprogrammed.

If you need anymore help ask here or use MSN (my details are in my profile).

To get range to empty the EMPROM needs to be reprogrammed.

Cheers Eddy :thumbup: I'll take you up on the MSN route I think, that would be easier :)

Although I can't be 100% certain, I bought the cluster as "brand new unused" and both the mileage is zero and the VIN unprogrammed.

I have the PIN for both the car and new dash, also have the facility to read out PIN's and complete EEPROM contents if need be, together with equipment to reconfigure (vagcom, vag5051 etc) or hard-write EEPROM data if need be.

I will add you to MSN later if that's ok.. ;):cool:

OK, for the record I've got it all sorted now :)

Nice blue dash (and no horrid silver dials ;):cool: ) with half height central Multifunction Info panel, and fuel mileage range remaining display enabled :thumbup::D

OK, for the record I've got it all sorted now :)

Nice blue dash (and no horrid silver dials ;):cool: ) with half height central Multifunction Info panel, and fuel mileage range remaining display enabled :thumbup::D

Sounds good richm! Going to have to get some pics up so we can admire your hard work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a sarcastic comment, I am genuinely interested...

What's the point? It looks just like a standard vRS dash but without the silver and in different colours?

So it's a visual thing, I wasn't sure if there was more to it that's all :P

not really, functionally they are pretty similar - obvious difference is the multifunction display is in the central matrix rather than sharing the clock LCD, but the information available is the same.

Why didn't you go for a FIS cluster while you were at it?

I had a hard enough time finding the right cluster for the job for the price I was willing to pay as it was ;) FIS parts are harder to come by without buying new, and I don't need the extra functionality regarding radio/Nav display. I suspect FIS versions are likely to come with chrome rings too(?) which I didn't want.

Phil - Half the job is finding the right format cluster with the right configuration (ie VDO, with CAN bridge, MFA/FIS, and right Immo version), after that the installation is fairly straightforward once you get your head round what needs doing.

I had a hard enough time finding the right cluster for the job for the price I was willing to pay as it was ;) FIS parts are harder to come by without buying new, and I don't need the extra functionality regarding radio/Nav display. I suspect FIS versions are likely to come with chrome rings too(?) which I didn't want.

Yeah I've noticed that its hard to get a used FIS display :eek:

Now when you have info in the MFA display, is the information still available in the left (clock) display or how does it work?

How much did the project cost you?

Yeah I've noticed that its hard to get a used FIS display :eek:

Now when you have info in the MFA display, is the information still available in the left (clock) display or how does it work?

How much did the project cost you?

The info is in the middle only and the clock is just a clock. If you are only doing the clocks and not the full conversion then the cost is just that of the clocks assuming you already have the necessary software to carry out the install. For the full illumination conversion you're looking at