Same old story - tyres

Bigice

my vrs has now done 23000 on its first set of tires and they need to be replaced, was wondering if i could put on 205s instead of the 225s that you all seem to fit. Is the 225 really that much better than the standard or is it that they come much cheaper?

I think i will go for the dunlop sp3000, do these give good wear?

Carnt remember what is on it at the min will post what they are when the musses brings it BACK :thumbdwn:

225x45 17 are much cheaper than the 205x50 equiv because they are much more readily available. Cant comment on the dunplop, never used them.

going to change only the front two at the min then the backs later on in the year, as for prices not yet looked, will it when i get work and use ther phone :thumbup: ( am tight u see )

Have seen some avon zz3s for the skoda at

I've got 2 or 3 Dunlop SP3000 tyres in standard vRS size - 205x50x17

2 have done 50miles the third has never touched tarmac..... cus its on the spare alloy.....

So you would only have to buy a single tyre at retail...

My Octavia vRS is now on 18.5K.. I guess I had another 500-1000 miles on my tyres .. thats before my accident.>!!!!

Let me know if you are interested.... Offers.....

ta.,.

Dazz

I should be in possession of a half worn pair of Pirelli P6000s 225/45 R17 by midweek. I'll verify the amount of tread (been told 3 to 4mm) when I get them and then they'll be available to buy. Any Offers too, can bring to trackday. :D

Pirelli PZero Rosso 225/45/17.......they are so much better than the standard tyres!

Grip is very good, wet or dry, and particularly when there a bit of heat in them. Quieter as well.

Goodyear F1 GSD3 are also supposed to be good. I might try these next or the PZero Neros.

All aare of a softer commpund compared to the standard tyres so they won't wear as well.

going to change only the front two at the min then the backs later on in the year, as for prices not yet looked, will it when i get work and use ther phone :thumbup: ( am tight u see )

Have seen some avon zz3s for the skoda at

avons are hard wearing....wear over grip....F1`s are very sticky but you wont get the mileage of the avon.........i have F1`s on mine in 225 45 17...i also have a dunlop 3000 with 6 mm of tread left if you are intrested.

:thumbup: Phil

what kinda miles will u get from the F1's?

14k from original Dunlops.........F1`S i would hope to get the same, but as i work in the trade price/wear is not a problem

:D Phil

• Administrators

Also on the Rosso's albeit the assimetrico in the P-Zero system.

Driven hard and they keep on gripping...*exception: pushing on 5 mins after a gritter has passed* Least the ESP works :D

At the end of the day, most will do the job, softer compounds will fell great, but will disappear far quicker. Also the reviews section has a bit on tyres :D

/me guilty of not adding to it aswell I know, but I'm trying to :D

• 4 months later...

What are the most common vrs octavia tyres, that people are fitting.

I have Michelin pilot's on now, from when i bought the car (covered 31,000 miles).

They are not bad in the dry but tend to loose grip in the wet (when pushed).

Can anyone help as i am now in need of tyres.

Apologies to ecklad and piv34uk for my pm to you both concerning tyres you offered for sale in this thread. Just realised the posts were in March (DOH!) so I am a bit out of touch. :sleep:

I am after some tyres though if someone has either 4 x 225/45/70's or 4 x 205/50/17's they are looking to get rid of shortly. Must have sufficient tread on though.

Shaun

Left field option..........Nokian NRVi....as recommended by a Norwegian partner.

had four fitted yesterday, and the transformation from Firestone F680's on front and Avon ZV1's rear, all 2mm tread left (more on rear) was remarkable.

Given their new, not necessarily suprising..... :rolleyes:

Car grips like it's glued to the tarmac. Already done nearly 200 miles in it, much more fun taking corners etc. front holds much better. I can physiucally feel it gripping. The F680's let go at the thought of using the "go faster" pedal........

I'll edit this post once it's started to rain...... No idea what wear will be like. Compound "feels" a bit softer than the Firestones and Avon ZV1's.

Avon do have the ZV3 (overhauled ZV1) which looks good. I also hear good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1's. If you can live with the wear/cost combination.

• 6 months later...

You Octy VRS guys that have moved to 225/45, Have you changed the spare tyre to the same size?

Or is the 1.25mm diff in diameter not worth bothering with?

Is there a legal issue about all four corners being the same size?

Jono

I used Toyo's T1s's for a while, good grip but not fantastic wear...

Great in standing water tho, very very stable... looked for something with similar "fern" water displacement pattern.

Just recieved today, Kumho Ecsta 712, similar pattern to toyo's and some here have used them with positive results - and mytyres.net have them for

You Octy VRS guys that have moved to 225/45' date=' Have you changed the spare tyre to the same size?

Or is the 1.25mm diff in diameter not worth bothering with?

Is there a legal issue about all four corners being the same size?

Jono[/quote']

Yes I put a 225x45 tyre on my spare... As I was selling the new Dunlop tyre

anyway..

P.s. regarding all 4 tyres having to be the same.. What about space savers?

these are akin to pram wheels...

cheers

Dazz

I would recommend having the two fronts OR two rears matching at the very least, for normal driving. That way at least they'll behave the same between the left & right :)

Space savers are for emergency use only - which is why they tend to have a 50mph/80kmh speed restriction on them. Grip on those things is terrible compared to proper tyres as they're designed to get you home or to a garage, not to use for long journeys. Seen people use them at motorway speeds, which frankly is dumb and irresponsible in my book. An emergency stop on that type of wheel/tyre would make you go sideways, or at least significantly increase stopping distance..

Well-said about them being pram wheels :D

Oh yes ... Fun or not depending on what you do with them...

I had a space saver on my 90 quattro after suffering a puncture..

This made the car very unstable.. as it was wet and there is a lot of roundabouts where I used to live!!

Cheers

Dazz..

• 4 weeks later...