Modding a PD100

ScoobyChris

Well, I've had my completely standard Fabia PD100 for a week now, and while it has great performance, economy and handling, I want more!!! :D I see lots of people have Eibach Pro springs on their Fabia's which lowers the ride height by 30mm and also improves cornering ability, for not very much money.

BUT no-one's mentioned any downsides - does the ride become too harsh and bone shaking? Also, if I were to go ahead where is the best (read cheapest ;)) place to buy them from and are there any other mods which should be done at the same time? I suspect a 4-wheel laser alignment is a good idea, but I'm holding off upgrading the 14" alloys until I've worn out the tyres on them. Jabba remap is also on the cards, but in a few months time :)

Thanks for all advice!

Chris

Alternatively, if you swap the wheels now, you'll have a nice new original set of wheels/tyres to put back on if you come to trade it in...

I've got Eibachs on my mine (1.4 16v) and they're ok - deffo feel the jolts more though... Others have had them on diesels, and they're sure to offer their thoughts soon enough... :D

Chris - the list is endless. :D, but for me.

DONE

Jabba Remap (early days)

TO DO

17s already "booked"

Koni + Eibach pro-kit

MS design boot spoiler

(plus some bits I'm revealing on the 24/4/04) :D

There's plenty more though

Well' date=' I've had my completely standard Fabia PD100 for a week now, and while it has great performance, economy and handling, I want more!!! :D I see lots of people have Eibach Pro springs on their Fabia's which lowers the ride height by 30mm and also improves cornering ability, for not very much money.

BUT no-one's mentioned any downsides - does the ride become too harsh and bone shaking? Also, if I were to go ahead where is the best (read cheapest ;)) place to buy them from and are there any other mods which should be done at the same time? I suspect a 4-wheel laser alignment is a good idea, but I'm holding off upgrading the 14" alloys until I've worn out the tyres on them. Jabba remap is also on the cards, but in a few months time :)

Thanks for all advice!

Chris[/quote']

I have a nice set of Fox 15" alloys with 195/50 tyres for sale if you are interested. Please see for sale/wanted section for details.

Thanks for the offer of the wheels, but money's a bit tight at the moment which is why I was looking at just doing the springs for the time being, but if they're still forsale when I have some cash I'll definitely give them a look! :D

Jason, thanks for the list - I thought this car was going to be my first one to stay standard ... how wrong I was! ;) And Stimps, thanks for the advice - think I will go for the Eibachs and may give Powerstation a ring to see what they can do for me as they were superb for the Scooby! :D

Chris

Well' date=' I've had my completely standard Fabia PD100 for a week now, and while it has great performance, economy and handling, I want more!!! :D I see lots of people have Eibach Pro springs on their Fabia's which lowers the ride height by 30mm and also improves cornering ability, for not very much money.

Thanks for all advice!

Chris[/quote']

Chris,

Talk to the Vrs fabia owners on here who have binned their suspension and get them to flog it to you... Then put it on your fabia.... Then see Jabba..... Hey presto you have a rocket that is a match for any standard vrs a lot less roll and yet looks standard and still gives a good ride! I have great fun in mine and if you on South London/Croydon/Surrey let me know

Andy

Matt? Where are you when we need a long time Koni user? :D

Or Ross may be able to comment as he's running his vRS on that setup.

:)

Konis do give a firmer ride, even on the softest setting but you are spoiled by the Fabias standard ride quality. After they are well run in, I got quite used to them.

The Konis gave a slightly poorer ride than my current vRS.

Damping control was very good and my old TDi was more responsive on the twisties than the vRS. Body roll is about the same between the two cars.

I also chatted to Jabba about fitting an Eibach pro damper kit and springs (non adjustable, but less firm dampers)

Ok, next question :D, is it worth paying extra for fully adjustable dampers. I'm not planning to do any track days in the near future, but I guess having adjustability will give me that option later.....

What sort of prices would I be looking at for the recommended kits mentioned and where's the best place to order them from? :D

Chris

Indeed as mentioned I run Koni adjustable dampers and an Eibach ProKit spring set.

Handling is vastly improved taking out the uncertain body roll that I found a bit disconcerting on the std set up (but I dont have a history of some tightly set up cars).

Ive got the dampers set on a mid to soft setting which is fine, wind them up more and it becomes very crashy, on the settings I have at the moment its still a good comfy drive but sticks through the corners (also have 17's and a strut brace though).

could probably throw in a strut brace for good measure ;)

Chris

:rofl: Well, I know I am. ;) I've been on to Demon Tweeks to see what they can do. :thumbup:

BTW - once the modding bug starts the only cure is an empty wallet. :D

Don't I know it! :D The Scooby was bad enough for begging to be modded, but the joy of Skoda is that the uprated parts are so much cheaper ;) So I'll spend just as much money long term, just have a bit more to show for it! ;):D

Chris