Not so good news for Performance cars

daz51

Hey

You may not be botherd about this and i will admit now that i own a skoda but i heard today Subaru are not bringing the new imprexa wrx sti kit to the U.K.

any one else heard this ??? so in ten years time does this means ***** wont be driving around in crappy old subarus thinking they are fast ???

According to Evo (magazine) there will be no 2.5 litre turbo WRX as Subaru are trying to position the Impreza to compete with the likes of the Focus and Astra, but there will be an STi (2.5l turbo 300bhp) expected to arrive Spring next year. There is also a diesel in the line up :thumbup: Shame the ugly stick has been used on the car itself :(

Chris

This apparently is some hairbrained idea of Subaru UK.

The Japs and those well known keen "stick" drivers, the Americans get the proper Hot versions AND the saloon.

We get the shopping trolley (someone at Scooy HQ is off their trolley that's for sure :pillepall ).

Just so you know these are the 2008 EVO-Scooby shoot-out contenders:

evo-x-1.jpg

1001.jpg

AND

1012.jpg

nice !

Scooby might aswell throw in the towel now.

Someone at Scooby JAPAN needs taking out and shooting for signing-off that design! :doh:

if you look on the autocar website today i see there is an article on there about a lack of high end imprezas coming to the U.K.

Lets face it though, once and for all people will realise the Evo as always been better

When this is bought out. It will look ok. Subaru, will do well to compete with the competition, but they need to upgrade the interior's if anything. Oh, and lower the price of the non Sport versions.

Or for that matter go like this (with a less rigid hatch design and shorter wheelbase) - and that is what will crush it.

Or maybe Subaru have realised that with ever increasing road taxes and fuel prices in the UK, they'd be foolish to stay in a niche market and would be much better positioning themselves to compete in the fleet sector and make money? ;)

Chris

Or maybe Subaru have realised that with ever increasing road taxes and fuel prices in the UK, they'd be foolish to stay in a niche market and would be much better positioning themselves to compete in the fleet sector and make money? ;)

Chris

Well it will be sad day when every car manufacturer thinks like that :( .

Long live choice and diversity. :thumbup:

I think Scooby will come to regret the move.

They may have left the niche, but the niche is now Mitsubishi's to do with as it chooses.

If I was a car manufacture I would prefer to have a car with a USP selling at a premium (and for vanity's sake be world famous for our courage and technology), rather than compete in a "shopping car" or "fleet car" sector.

If Ford and GM find it difficult in those sectors what hope is there for a new comer - especially with 10's of Chinese automotives ready to flood the market to crush your price point (and with chinese state/government backing and our flood of western money to support any price war) :eek:

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a good looking car - but it looks like every other Korean/Malaysian/Japanese box.

The Evo or WRX should only ever have been "Halo" products - heroes to the rest of the slightly more mundane mainstream models. If Mitsu and Scooby failed to capitalise when they had the "Uber" models - what will they do with no "Passion" or visible technological prowess in the range?

Or maybe Subaru have realised that with ever increasing road taxes and fuel prices in the UK...

Chris

Why don't they have an all conquering "Rally Car" - with the requisite homolgation run of road cars (at premium prices)

Then sell this with a nice 2.0 TDI (I'd buy it :D )

evo-x-1.jpg

The problem with a niche market is that it is a niche and thanks to our wonderful government (:rolleyes:) the customer base is getting smaller and smaller because of higher taxes, fuel and insurance costs. Just look on here, how many ex Evo and Scooby owners there are.....

Subaru are still producing the hot WRX version, they're just not bringing it to the UK because I suspect people (most likely company car drivers) will either want the diesel version or the all out STi rather than the middleground WRX.....

Chris

Well as a very recent EX Scooby owner, nearly all the members on Scoobynet really hate the new look Subaru, it is one of the grossest looking cars I have seen, it really is naff, Subaru have really shot themselves in the foot with this one.:doh:

Well I'll let the picture do the talking. Just how good are Subaru's design and marketing departments?

This good -

2006_Subaru_Tribeca_ext_1.jpg

How many Imprezas are official UK cars anyway? Doesn't mean they can't be unofficially imported surely!

Lots of them are UK cars (or sourced from the EU and Malta), but you're right, it's easy enough to import a JDM car into this country, or find one of the big importers like Litchfield Imports who will do it and prep (or breathe on!) the car for you too :D

Chris

Lots of them are UK cars (or sourced from the EU and Malta), but you're right, it's easy enough to import a JDM car into this country, or find one of the big importers like Litchfield Imports who will do it and prep (or breathe on!) the car for you too :D

Chris

MMMM Litchfields, I have a friend rubbing his hands together ask we speak ,just bought himself a Limited edition Legacy and its on the boat on its way over here..:cool: