What intercooler to go for???

joeybig01

The Jabba i/c sits underneath the crash bar, whereas the other two are behind it. That would make the Jabba one more vulnerable to stone impact, I would think. The Forge is the biggest, and I've never had problems with mine: IAT doesn't go above 44

I spoke to Allard about their hybrid turbos and they were very surpised I got a Forge FMIC. They tried slating it and saying theirs is much better as its much larger and the same price etc but I didn't buy any of it. The Forge one has been tried and tested like Lummox says (don't argue with him :p) and is considerably cheaper than the others especially if you get a discount.

I don't fully agree with Ross. A new intercooler can give better power if the old one was restricted in capacity relative to what the engine wants, either by internal design, by location, or both. It won't be much though, maybe 2%.

What it does do is offer the chance to feed in cooler and denser air, and hence increase fuelling, which will give more power (but needs the engine retuning [general form, obviously I mean remap with EFI]).

I'd also go with a Forge, just because I don't like the attitude that says "ours is bigger therefore better". An over-large intercooler is just a good way of causing turbo lag.

I think a couple of members had to make small modifications to their uprated undertrays when fitting the Forge FMIC.

I like the Forge over the Allard one if for no reason other than the routing of the pipework - the Allard pipework goes straight over the top of the engine - not pretty, and doesn't seem sensible sending it over the top of the hot engine imho.

Not seen the Jabba one though to be fair!

I have a Forge intercooler and I am very happy with it. :)

Funny cos Allard never slated my Forge FMIC when my turbo and map was done by them. :confused:

The Allard FMIC has a larger capacity than the Forge, so if you are planning to fit a very big turbo then the Allard one is better as it can flow a higher volume of air.

Allard one doesn't go "over" the engine as implied, it goes around the outside of the engine bay, sort of over the front, and takes a left turn at the alternator end, and goes up to the inlet manifold.

I like the Allard one because it's big enough for any turbo, and it's nice to get some flashy polished alloy in the engine bay (yes, I'm a tart) - Also the Allard one uses no oem piping, so you get nice wide turbo pipework from turbo right to the inlet manifold. :)

I also like the forge one too and was impressed with the ease it went on, when helping Xav fit his to his vRS. :thumbup:

I don't fully agree with Ross. A new intercooler can give better power if the old one was restricted in capacity relative to what the engine wants, either by internal design, by location, or both. It won't be much though, maybe 2%.

What it does do is offer the chance to feed in cooler and denser air, and hence increase fuelling, which will give more power (but needs the engine retuning [general form, obviously I mean remap with EFI]).

I'd also go with a Forge, just because I don't like the attitude that says "ours is bigger therefore better". An over-large intercooler is just a good way of causing turbo lag.

Agreed!

Hey again guys, can some body post up some pics of their forge intercoolers fitted?

Chers!!!

I've looked. but the whole point is you can't see anything (it's a Forge)...