BioDiesel in Octy II?

A garage down the road from me is selling BioDiesel at 79p a litre - quite a nice saving over the 95p that the normal stuff costs - but I notice that skoda say not to use BioDiesel.

I'm sure they would say that your warranty was invalidated in the event of any problems , but what is likely to happen?

I know a few people here use 5 or 10% biodiesel - does anyone use a higher percentage?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they? It just says you need to change the fuel filter every time you change the oil on my Furby AFAIK - have they got stricter with the Octy, or is the 2.0 unit more sensitive to chip fat than the ol' 1.9 lump?

I would be inclined to avoid it for now; certainly a 'full strength' bio-diesel.

Might be open minded on a 5% mix; but then I don't have anywhere near me selling it so no decision to make.

It says not to use biodiesel on the inside of the fuel filler cap :D

Is this a UK-spec mod? :rubchin: (Thinking of HMRC's take on the lower cost and therefore lower VAT take from biodiesel...)

Interesting thing to note in the OctyII option codes -

So I guess what you are trying to say is that when you go to fill up; the nozzle of the biodiesel pump will not fit in the neck of the tank. :eek: Yes?

Well , mine's in for about it's 10th visit to cure the creaking suspension in a week or so.

I'll have a word with the dealer and see if they can offer any sort of answer other than "no"

In my old Superb (1.9 TDi 130), the documentation said it was fine to run on BioDiesel, with the caveat of more regular filter changes.

On the vRS, it's a definite 'no' to biodiesel, which I've always assumed was down to the DPF.

I have noticed that the fuel filler opening is much smaller on the vRS than it was on the Superb, as I had real trouble actually getting the nozzle in when I did my first fill up.

Bagpuss.

I thought bio-diesel use was restricted on the PDs because the PD injectors couldn't handle the increased bio-diesel gelling/waxing proclivities.

Now you mention it; I have read this somewhere too.

It would be particularly relevant to the PD 170 engine used in the vRS as this has super fine-spray extra high pressure piezo-injectors (something like 2000 bar as opposed to the normal 1500 bar, I think).

Okay. Found the answer to this one.

Any Skoda diesel that conforms to EU2 or EU3 emissions standards can use BioDiesel. More specifically, the car could use a fuel composed entirely of rapeseed methylester (RME).

Therefore, this means that all 1.9 TDi PD engines can use it, as EU4 compliance was only introduced with the 2.0 TDi. There is one exception to this, which is the Octavia 1.9TDi 105PS engine, which also has a DPF as from 05/06 onwards.

The reason that DPF vehicles cannot use BioDiesel is because the fuel has a higher reaction temperature than normal diesel. This means that the cleaning operation on the DPF would never complete properly, as it wouldn't ever be able to get hot enough to burn off the residues left by BioDiesel.

For more information on this, check out:

http://new.skoda-auto.com/Documents/EnvironmentTechDev/EnvironmentTechDevDPF.pdf

The EU2/EU3 emissions information can be found on the Skoda Germany webpage here:

Translated version of http://www.skoda.de/index.php?e=348-1

Bagpuss.

Top notch Bagpuss; that answers a lot, including how the DPF works. :thumbup:

Seems to me though the world has gone mad! :mad: (If we didn't know that already).

Government wants us to use more Eco and Bio fuels and, apart from the fact I don't see them being marketed anywhere, vehicles built to comply with the latest EUIV emmissions can't use them. :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl: