BioDiesel in Octy II?

Correct me if I am wrong ... But isn't all Tesco Diesel 5% Bio mix

Greenergy International Ltd - Diesel, Petrol, Gasoil and Kerosene

Thats right, but what I think we are really on about here is being able to use the Full Monty E85 Bio-Diesel (85% bio)?

PS> My local Tesco used to sell their 5% Bio Diesel which I was using in SWMBO's car but then they switched their pumps to Tesco 99 Super unleaded.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Octavia T reg 1.9 Tdi estate and the Skoda hand book says it can run on 100% Biodiesel so I have been running it on 100% bio for the last 3 months and done about 5000 miles with no problems and saved

What skoda say .....

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am pleased to advise that Volkswagen Group approves the use of diesel fuel containing up to 5% RME (Rapeseed Methyl Ester) Biodiesel that confirms to the standard EN590, in all of their diesel vehicles. The use of this fuel requires no modifications to the vehicle or changes to the vehicle

In finland, you could have bought bio-diesel option. It costed some extra,

but mainly the difference was different kind of tubing and filters. I didnt opt it.

(I have pd140)

My car should run on biodiesel, but the biodiesel will dry and disintegrate

the fuel lines much faster than regular diesel. You can buy the biodiesel

parts from skoda if you need to use biodiesel.

But with DPF, you cant use biodiesel i think. Besides vRS has piezo injectors,

and i do not know if those will work with biodiesel at all.

The German website suggests it's OK; I've used it on and off in my 90BHP TDIs in Germany, and I've just contacted Skoda Germany to find out whether it'll go into my 140. If anybody can give a clear answer, it'll be the Germans, as they use the stuff quite a lot.

The German website suggests it's OK; I've used it on and off in my 90BHP TDIs in Germany, and I've just contacted Skoda Germany to find out whether it'll go into my 140. If anybody can give a clear answer, it'll be the Germans, as they use the stuff quite a lot.

Well, there is biodiesel, and there is BIOdiesel.

That 5% mix will do fine on most cars (dunno about vRS and DPF).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got the answer back off Skoda Germany (after being on holiday for a few days), and it is negative. :mad:

For those who can follow German, here's the text of the letter:

Sehr geehrter Herr Dickinson,

vielen Dank fuer Ihre E-Mail.

Saemtliche Skoda Dieselmodelle neuerer Baujahre, die bereits die Euro 4 Abgasnorm erfuellen, duerfen nicht mehr mit Biodiesel betrieben werden. Fuer ueber SkodaAuto Deutschland importierte Octavia 2 Dieselmodelle wurde anfangs noch eine Werksoption

Thought the 'English version' of the response was very open/friendly and fair, in that it even mentions the possible negatives too. Strange about the German response stating the option has been removed for a while though :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

So we're still no further forward with this issue. I find it really frustrating. There's no point contacting Skoda UK because they give you a stock response with no real explanation. My car is a PD105 built in early 05, no DPF, AFAIK not majorly different to the older PD110 etc engines in the Mk1 Octy which are apparently approved for 100% biodiesel. Are the blanket responses about the issue from Skoda just to protect themselves because certain models are available with a DPF or have extended fuel filter service intervals and the customer can't be relied upon to know what they've got or look after their fuel filter? I just don't know how to get any more concrete information.

Ah sorry, I think I confused the issue by specifying the 110 engine. From a reply from skoda attached to another thread though the following are supposed to be fine with biodiesel...

Octavia A4 1997

Guys,

Running a 1.9 105 Octy II on an 03 plate, mixing pure rape with dyno at a ratio of 1 part bio to 2 parts dyno.

Running quieter, cleaner and generally all OK. Only a few hundred miles in but will update soon. Naturally all duties being paid!

MrMajestyk

Sorry, but if you have an 03 plate, you have a Mk1, which means you can't have a PD105 engine as these were only introduced in the Mk2.

• 1 month later...

So in summary...

My '56' Octy II is fine on the 'supermarket blend' 5% stuff, but that's it.

My filler cap has a sticker that says 'no biodeisel', and the manual refers to an option for using it.

SWMBO's '04' Fabia (1.9TDI 110) will run on anything - even oil from the chippy.

Not sure about that, but its one way to look at it.

Ho hum, at least I managed to find some info. Thanks guys.

Thought you'd find this thread :thumbup:

I'm determined that at some point, I'm going to get a vehicle that WILL run on used chip fat - Deisel is SO expensive!

Can't imagine my employers being too happy if I wrecked the Octy through ingestion of sunflower oil or whatever :thumbdwn:

Oh well, back to the desire for a Landy - they'll run on sheep's urine if needs be ;)

AIUI, the multi-fuel engine on the Challenger 2 (and indeed the Challenger 1 and possibly? Chieftain) is just a diesel with sparkplugs...

You need some gas-turbine action like on the Abrams, really! ;):D

Not sure if i'm convinced at this new fuel yet. Know someone who works for a large national logistics firm, they have up to 10 HGV vehicles a day breaking down due to Bio diesel. recover, drain, new filters, one tank of proper fuel through tank before they can use it again.