4x4's and suspension

bengie

i want to change the suspension on my 4x4 estate so that it doesn't sit about 4ft high and has less roll round corners, i also wanna fit some strut braces to tighten it up a bit. but what i don't want is a real harsh ride, when i fitted lowering springs to my last car it turned it into a solid piece of metal and you couldn't hit any bumps without readjusting your spine. is this possible and what sorta costs am i looking at??

If the bank allows go KW V3 or possibly V2 before youdo anything else, you may well find thats enough

I fitted V2 to my 4x4 & they are a fantastic Improvement & are hardness adjustable but they are not going to knock your fillings out. I came from an Impreza STI3 so I know how hard, hard can be

V3 are better & if I were buying again I would pay the extra.

If you can get to Brunters next week I will give you a few laps in the V2 4x4

Stuart

a mate of mine is vauxhall crazy and warned me about lowering my 4x4 is vauxhall 4x4's didn't like it too much, sounded like he was talking pants to me personally. about the lowering i don't want just springs is its a bit half arsed, and i dont mind spending out a bit more if its actually worth it but how much do you really need to spend to get decent coilovers??

I have more sense than money, so will be pairing Bilsteins shocks to my lowering springs. Have experienced the hardness and found it OK, while the springs have already taken the car down enough.

Am driving with just the lowering springs for about a year now, and had no problem with them. The ride remained quite comfortable, but hope the sports dampers will give better cornering stability.

Have thought hard about adjustable coilovers but I would go mad continuing to fiddle with them, never getting it right...

• 9 months later...

Whoah, that's an old one, Kostas!

Actually, I didn't go for the Billies after all. I found that the change to bigger wheels and sports tyres (which would you believe I wasn't even on before!) made enough of a difference to hold out on the dampers - for now.

Springs are by MAD, which are Skoda NL's official supplier, and only lower by 30mm. So they go slightly below standard, but are still some way above RS height.

I was planning to go for Bilstein's B8 Sprint (see http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3) but don't know any actual part numbers.

Whoah' date=' that's an old one, Kostas!

I was planning to go for Bilstein's B8 Sprint (see [url']http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3[/url]) but don't know any actual part numbers.

try these numbers: F : VE3-4708

R : BE5-6035

this is the link:

http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=8317122112179011804

Whoah' date=' that's an old one, Kostas!

Actually, I didn't go for the Billies after all. I found that the change to bigger wheels and sports tyres (which would you believe I wasn't even on before!) made enough of a difference to hold out on the dampers - for now.

Springs are by MAD, which are Skoda NL's official supplier, and only lower by 30mm. So they go slightly below standard, but are still some way above RS height.

[/quote']

I think it'd be wise enough to combine your MAD springs with a set of sport dampers.Otherwise the OEM will fail soon I suppose.

My OEM dampers after 2 track days and 62000km need to be replaced.. :)

[i have OEM springs too].

ps:do you have any pics to see the lowering..?

Are the OEM ones that bad? I thought ETKA said they were "heavy-duty"! :rofl:

I'm on 1 track day and 45k kms now...

Pictures are on Manny's page: http://octaviars.homeip.net/OtherOcty/dutch4x4/findex.html

As I said, it's only slightly below regular Octavia level (mine was up even more in standard 4x4 shape than what the brochure says...) but I like to keep a stealth appearance.