Sevicing

Keeno

According to the codes in the front of my manual , my vRS is set to variable servicing.

At the back of the book in the services section, the dealer has filled in the first service "space" saying it is due for a service at 10000 miles.

My odometer flashed up last week saying "service 1000" and has been reducing by 100 miles(now at 800) When it first flashed up "1000" I was at 8200 miles, so that means my service is due at 9200 miles.

So the question is, am I set at variable servicing and if so do I book in when I am at 9200 miles or do I follow what has been filled in in the book and go when it is at 10000 miles?

Keeno

Your car is set for 10000 miles services , not variable. The code in the front of your manual only tells you that your car is capable of being set to variable servicing , not that it actually has been set as such. All cars come from the factory set to variable , so it looks like the dealer must have set it back to static servicing , as most cars with variable servicing see the message you are seeing at around 18K miles. (probably coz they think they will see more of you that way , and therefore empty your wallet more frequently!) You will have to book in for a 10000 mile service , but , as long as the dealer uses the longlife oil in your service , you can ask for him to reset your car to variable , meaning that your next service will be due in 2 years or 20000 miles from your 10000 miler.

Hope this helps.

My service due started counting down at 8300 miles, i.e. service due at 9300 miles. Due to this being over Christmas I'd done over 10K by the time I got it to the dealers. No grumbles from them, so I reckon you'll be fine leaving it till 10K.

Last night I had the same thing happen, just done 8500 miles and the service indicator came on - again I had thought that I had variable servicing set, but this has obviously been changed by the supplying dealer....:mad:

obviously a good money earner for the dealers considering how much there are charging for services!

oh hum, probably just as well to get the service done now and then get a few things checked out, and then get the ole' variable servicing switched back on...

My vRS has now done 9980 miles and I was told by the dealer that it has 10k service intervals....it's even stamped in the book. However seeing as the service indicator is supposed to give you a 1k count-down I suppose:

1) mine wasn't reset as they said

or

2) mine car doesn't have a 1k count down

which is more likley?

Now this raises the issue if my servic book says I'm supposed to have a service at 10k but the service indicator doesn't tell me this should I go to my dealer and have my service book changed?

IWhat sort of implications does this have if I don't say anyhting to the dealer and then need some work done on warranty?

I was also thinking about having mine put on variable service (it apparently is anyway but I digress) and doing a 10k oil change myself. Has anybody else had a similar thought?

Cheers.

Adrian.

With regard to the warranty...

My service got delayed by a week due to someone not returning

a courtesy car, and I expressed my concern at running it over

the 10K service interval. The service manager told me that it

would be alright for another 2.5k miles, so I guess to keep the

warranty valid you need to stick rougly to the interval or have a

service manager with no courtesy cars ;)

It seems strange that at 9980 miles it hasn't indicated that

it's service time, but then do you know when the indicator was

last reset?

Rob.

Originally posted by SkodiRS

My vRS has now done 9980 miles and I was told by the dealer that it has 10k service intervals....it's even stamped in the book. However seeing as the service indicator is supposed to give you a 1k count-down I suppose:

1) mine wasn't reset as they said

or

2) mine car doesn't have a 1k count down

which is more likley?

Now this raises the issue if my servic book says I'm supposed to have a service at 10k but the service indicator doesn't tell me this should I go to my dealer and have my service book changed?

I think a visit/call to your dealer is in order. As far as I know, all RSs have the countdown feature, so 1) is most likely. I suppose your computer could be bust, in which case you want to go to the dealer anyway to get it fixed :)

See what they say - they may want to do a 10K service or they may say leave it until it asks...

I never got any 1k countdown on mine when my 10k service was due either? My car is a Dec 2001.

Cant be variable as I would have thought I should have had it serviced at 5k miles the way I drive it :eek:

Dave

Went to my local dealer on Saturday....... I told him that I'd done 10k miles and that the dealer I bought the car from had said that I was on 10k service intervals but the service indicator had come on.

He checked the service book and saw the QG1 code and said not to worry. Said to bring the car back in during the week and they'd hook it up to one of their tools and find out how many more miles before it needed a service. He also said that the long life oil was very good.

So I'll take the vRS in sometime this week and find out whether or not I'm on variable or fixed servicing.

Cheers.

Adrian.

If Skoda UK read this forum, they should note that far too many of their dealers aren't completing the Delivery Inspection properly when it comes to recording Next Service details accurately in the Service Schedule and on the sticker they are supposed to stick to the RHS of the dashboard. grumpy.gif

PS They also need to update the list of dealers on their website. At least one lost their Skoda franchise last summer!

spoke to my local dealer this morning (local to where I'm working anyways), to book my car in for its service, and he acted all surprised that it should need a 10k service cos it should be set to variable

he give me the option of either having the service now and then switching it to variable, or switching it to variable now and waiting for a later service....

i opted for the service in a couple of weeks time, with longlife oil and then set to variable for the future

I've got to take my car in tomorrow to get the headlights fixed (broken adjustment screw), so I'm going to pin them down on how much the service costs, as I want to avoid being presented with an extortoniate bill, I think

Gunnie

Make sure they use the correct oil for variable servicing - in your case it should be oil to spec VW 503 00. A list of oils meeting that spec is in the FAQ section of this website.

Took my vRS to the dealer and they confirmed my car is set to variable servicing.

He said the indicator would probably come on around the 18k mark but depending on driving style/condition etc it may be later. Definately said it needed to be serviced by 20k miles.

Still toying with the idea of changing the oil and filter myself. Has anyone done this?

Cheers.

Adrian.

Excuse my ignorance but not having had the pleasure of having the RS serviced yet, could someone tell me how long a variable service should take and what the dealer does for the money?

:cheers:

delcac asked:

...could someone tell me ..... what the dealer does for the money?

With pleasure. This is what the dealer should do for the money. (What the dealer does with the money is covered elsewhere...)

Engine oil: change, oil filter: replace.

Engine: visual inspection for leaks and damage.

Fault memories of all systems of self-diagnosis: interrogate.

.........I'm bored typing this so that's all I'm going to do for now - read pages 9 and 10 of your Octavia Service Schedule for the rest.

Time to go and watch TV with the dog........dog.gif

The list of what a dealer supposedly does at 20000 miles is fairly extensive.

In reality, my oil (longlife, granted) & filter were changed. And they managed to spill said oil all around the engine cover. Obviously a funnel was too much trouble. :confused:

Oh yeah. And some screenwash, 60p.

All in all, just under

Ahhhhhhh - just discovered that if you watch the little trip computer thingy when you start the engine it tells you how many miles until the next service is due! Unfortunately mine only shows 400 miles which means I must be on variable as i have only done 17.5k miles...... Must get round to reading the manual - i'm sure little gems like this are hidden away in there...........

Dave

Your trip would have been counting you down to your service from 1000 miles , its a good job you noticed it in time! And yes it looks as though your car is on variable servicing , better get it booked in! Oh and how is the BRM? nice little cars those , is she still stock? (used to visit an MG-Rover board a while back when I was toying with the idea of a ZR) Also a Stang?...is she a V8?

Duncan - I only spotted it because something caught my eye on the trip computer when i started the car - I just noticed that the text changed briefly. Next time I started the car and studied it I realised! phew!

BRM is much better now it has had a full service (was a little rough before!). Its had a few tweeks done since we got it about 4 yrs ago - Koni adjustables, Janspeed exhaust + K&N Thats about it! Fantastic little go-cart, such good fun to drive - not as good a distance cruiser as the Skod tho'

The Mustang has a 351cu V8 (that's about 6 litres!) with a huge carb, performance headers and a Flowmaster exhaust - sounds sweet!

I've updated my profile with some links to Skod + Mustang pics - BRM to follow - check them out!

Dave

Your 'stang looks brilliant , I am so damn jealous! Dont suppose youd want another RS as a str8 swap???....LOLOL! Seriously tho , was it in that condidtion when you got it or have you had to do a resto? Looks good enough to be in Clas Am mag! (yes I am a Yank fan ...love those big cube V8s!!)

I will share this little gem with you all.

On Friday I called Mitchells Skoda on the Wirral to book my car in for its first service. I spoke to the Salesman first who sold me the car as when I bought it we discovered he only lived round the corner from me and he said when it was due for a service he would pick it up in the morning from my house and leave a car for me, very convenient. So I asked him if this was still ok and he said yes no problem, book it in then let him know what day and he would come round at 8.15 in the morning, so far so good.

He then put me through to the service manager who booked it in for me on the Monday, I asked him how much and he said

variable servicing/ indicators can come on whenever the oil needs changing at the bottom of your sump is a sensor which measures the viscousity of your oil your service indicator can come on from anything from 10k/30k possibly (for petrol engines) up to 25K for diesel engines if you use car for mostly short runs the oil is broken down faster by petrol vapours from engine thus needing changing more reguarly. the only way of telling wether your car is set up for regular/fixed servicing is on a vag diagnostic machine not by when your service indicator shows. not all dealers are thieving b's we just want your car to run at it's best. (would u like to drive your car for a possibilty of 30k without being in a garage once) i have seen brake pads on an rs worn down to metal in 15k !

I Think I have worked out what the Variable servicing is all about !

It is the Cost & Quality of Service that seems to be the biggest variable here, not the actual scheduled service !!

Cynicism & Pessimism - 2 Traits guaranteed to ensure you are never disappointed !!