Suspension Octy MK1

chissey

I know, i know, - it's been covered millions of times.

Having spent a few thousand lately on the car and now the new clutch is run in, the suspension is showing its age/milage 70,000.

What do you have fitted/recommend and where did you source it from and cost.

I mostly want your views on ride comfort/handling and i dont want to drop the car to much.

Thanks for any helpfull info.

I know, i know, - it's been covered millions of times.

Having spent a few thousand lately on the car and now the new clutch is run in, the suspension is showing its age/milage 70,000.

What do you have fitted/recommend and where did you source it from and cost.

I mostly want your views on ride comfort/handling and i dont want to drop the car to much.

Thanks for any helpfull info.

Fit a rear anti roll bar, quite possibly the single best mod you can do on the Octavia!!

Eibach 25mm. from Jabbasport. £160 ish

When the bushes go have powerflex poly bushes fitted, these make a hell of a lot of difference too!

All these will improve the handling without lowering it or making it more uncomfortable.

Weitec coilovers (KW v1's) are excellent too, well worth having, they cope very very well with big power and belting it round corners, and are comfortable enough for normal driving around town etc.......unlike some which will break your back within months.....

Hope this helps.

Steve:thumbup:

Fit a rear anti roll bar, quite possibly the single best mod you can do on the Octavia!!

Eibach 25mm. from Jabbasport. £160 ish

When the bushes go have powerflex poly bushes fitted, these make a hell of a lot of difference too!

All these will improve the handling without lowering it or making it more uncomfortable.

Weitec coilovers (KW v1's) are excellent too, well worth having, they cope well with big power and are comfortable enough for normal driving.

Hope this helps.

Steve:thumbup:

What he said. :agree:

• Administrators

For me, ARB's did more than KW v2 for improved feel and grip.

I've done arb's and FSD's on std RS springs and it's not as harsh as coilovers but feel way better t drive when pressing on. Certainly for normal welsh roads it's better. It's not lowered or wick'd, but corners like files on a farmers spade and returns to a comfortable ride when not pushing on.

I have Neuspeed anti roll bars fitted which made a huge difference to the handling the trouble im having now under hard excelleration is the front lifting to the stars and the back dragging its ar$e which isnt helping in the braking and excelleration department and through the twisty bits gets a little skittish.

I dont want to loose the comfort and CANT lower any more than standard as London is speed hump city. I will probably go for FSD shocks but was unsure what sort of spring to mix them with.

Thanks for your input Guy's

Eibach do not list a specific springs for the Octy vRS, and from my own experience FSD's with Eibach do not mix well at all.

I was told certain ones would be alright , and they were not.

Well, not unless you like doing 360's on every roundabout, as they are the wrong poundage for the car.

How have you guys found the powerflex bushes as all ive heard are horror stories about them?

just interested to see if the horror stories are just a crock of **** or not.

Horror stories ???? Such as ?????????

I have them, as others do, and cannot fault them as they tighten up all the slack you get with the OEM ones, you get a bit of vibration at first, especially from the dog mount one until they wear in a bit, but as they are a much firmer bush (No Puns Please) what would you expect?

Fsd konis should be the best compromise with std springs but i ask koni uk and they said the best combo is with eibach sport springs.

I had bilstien sports on mine (non shortened rod type) on mine just took them off to fit koni adjustable so they are available. I foun them to be just marginally firmer than std but with much less pitching and rolling especially over undulating b roads.

It all depends on the type of driving you want, i changed as wanted to go firmer thats all but the bilstiens were more than fine for fast road

Horror stories ???? Such as ?????????

I have them, as others do, and cannot fault them as they tighten up all the slack you get with the OEM ones, you get a bit of vibration at first, especially from the dog mount one until they wear in a bit, but as they are a much firmer bush what would you expect?

:orb_cool: however......:wrthless:

My apologies for trying to be humorous......:)

I should get out more.........once out of re-hab maybe I will....

:orb_cool: however......:wrthless:

My apologies for trying to be humorous......:)

I should get out more.........once out of re-hab maybe I will....

How did I just know it would be you or another person from the Kent area, hence the (No puns please).................LOL

Powerflex are very good though.

• Administrators

Also had the bushes, tighens things up well, not had any issues with them. (all round)

Re the rollbars, yes it will encourage the back to be awakened; that's good though isn't it ;)

My rear arb is in middle setting and I find it dials the front understeer out nicely, along with a little more rear pressure; Thanks TaviaRS ;)

Thanks to all for your input guys i think i'll try the FSD shocks with standard springs first to see if that sorts it out.

Steevie Wonder where did you get your Weitec from as i might look into them a little more. Did some price checks and Awesome Gti seem to be the cheapest (JUST) on the FSD unless anyone know's different ?

Also would it be best to source some new standard springs to fit with the FSD's if i go that way, car has covered nearly 70,000.

If the old ones are OK then they will stay but thought if its having the new shocks put on then it might as well have new springs. Not sure what the life expectancy is on the standard springs.