Octavia 2.0TDI Economy

Took delivery of my 07 Octavia Estate 2.0 TDi in May. Love the car but am a bit disappointed in the economy.

My regular commute is 12 miles on lanes, B and A roads. The best avg mpg I have managed for the journey is about 42. It's more normally 38 or 39.

The car still only has less than 5500 miles on the clock but the oil light has been on already and it's needed a top up (of v expensive oil). No sign of first service being indicated yet.

On the long motorway runs I have done the mpg has got up nearer to 50 but this is harder to achieve than I expected.

Am I expecting too much here or are there signs of problems which might warrant a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any comment

Andy

I have owned both an Octavia 1.9tdi and a Superb 1.9 tdi and found with both that the economy improves as the mileage on the car increases. I can get well over 50 mpg out of the Superb using the cruise control on the motorway and not hanging about either - but then the car has just under 40k on the clock!

Bear in mind that with that low a mileage an a diesel the car will still effectively be running in - and will be for another 10k or so.

Ours has around 9500mls on it and we get 47 around town, 52 on the motorway and managed up to 55 on a steady run across morthern ireland the other month.

I get 40 - 45 (indicated on the trip computer) on my 75 mile commute which is a mix of motorway, A roads and B roads, and like you around 50 on a long motorway drive if I keep it close to 70mph.

Bear in mind actual mpg is usually a bit less if calculated brim to brim. Typically I get 410 - 440 miles per tank full.

Oil top up between services seems to be not uncommon - about 1 ltr every 6k miles for me.

I recently bought 5 ltr from one of the site sponsors on here - Opie Oils - it worked out at around £8 per ltr compared with a dealer price of about £12.50.

And a little trick for you.....

Ignition on, engine off, press and hold the 'trip counter reset' / 'clock adjust' button for more than 2 secs to show the interval until the next service is due.

More tips and tricks at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/new-octavia-tips-tricks/55750/

PD140 DSG with 6k on the clock - On my shortish journeys (10 miles a throw) I only get high 30s but its still a good 10mpg better than my old Civic on the same journeys 50s on longer trips

I acquired a new Octy 2.0L TDI DSG last month and covered about 1400 miles so far. I get around the same mpg as skomaz, but my previous Octy 1.9L TDI DSG would regularly return 58/59 mpg and on several occasions got as high as 64 mpg.

Mine will get anywhere between 35 and 40mpg around town usually (that's lots of hills, traffic lights, queues and roundabouts) and about 48-53 mpg ish on the motorway at about 70mph. A-roads muster the best economy with mid 50's being common, even when moving along at a reasonable pace. Best I've seen was a 15 mile journey across Cheshire from Macc to just the other side of Knutsford showing an average of 71.3 mpg. . . . I was stuck behind a horse wagon so was forced into doing 40mph most of the way.:rofl:

It's definately not as frugal as the older 1.9 units, but it's a lot smoother and quieter . . . and of course more powerful. :D

L&K Estate 2.0TDI:

I can manage 52mpg if I drive like a grandad on the motorway behind a truck for miles and miles.

I usually get 42-45 when driving normally across A roads and Motorways but I get 33 if I cane the balls off the car.

All this with a boot full of tools and equipment and a set of roof bars.

Oil usage: 1.5 litres in 16,500 miles.

At 5500 miles the engine will be as tight as a**holes :D

Come back to this thread in another 10,000 miles to compare and contrast :)

I get high 40`s knocking about and high 50`s on the m-way. Thats with the 2.0 tdi 140 with the dsg. And on one occasion on a long trip to Glasgow I got low 60`s. Guess I drive like a grandad lol.:D

The 'grandad' comment wasn't meant as an insult to anyone but merely a description of rather slow driving. I too drive 'like a grandad' at times. :D

Just thought I had better get the disclaimer in before I get shot at with a Lee Enfield or similar :P