VRs Tdi low rpm engine judder

I agree with the comments of it being a characteristic of a revised DMF. My '06 TDI never did it.

I think a fierce juddering felt through the clutch pedal is a concern, that's exactly what I had just before my Primera's DMF disintegrated- it was as if someone was knocking the pedal with something heavy. The juddering I get in my Octavia can be felt through the footwell mostly.

As suggested it's not wise to constantly recreate the conditons of the judder so I avoid the really low revs in higher gears these days.

I agree with the comments of it being a characteristic of a revised DMF. My '06 TDI never did it.

I think a fierce juddering felt through the clutch pedal is a concern, that's exactly what I had just before my Primera's DMF disintegrated- it was as if someone was knocking the pedal with something heavy. The juddering I get in my Octavia can be felt through the footwell mostly.

As suggested it's not wise to constantly recreate the conditons of the judder so I avoid the really low revs in higher gears these days.

For how long do you have juddering on your Octy and is it getting worse?

I avoid low revs on mine too now, but still, I sometimes go through them and feel judder, like twice a day.

It doesn't last too long, it seems to be worse in a higher gear at fairly low revs at full throttle, those times when you just can't be arsed to change down a gear. I find 5th gear, full throttle at around 1500-1800 rpm is the worst. I avoid it as much as possible.

I noticed it about a week after I got the car and the characteristic hasn't changed at all in almost 60,000 miles. The transmission has always had a bit of a knock when lifting off in a higher gear as well but that has been the same also.

I contacted SUK about this a while ago and explained to them about a judder of the clutch/flywheel especially when cornering in 3rd at about 30mph it will judder and also sitting at exactly 30mph in 4th it will judder when driving in straight line.They told me that this is not good as there should be NO judder at all at anytime and advised me to get to my dealer for a possible DMF/clutch replacement.

It doesn't last too long, it seems to be worse in a higher gear at fairly low revs at full throttle, those times when you just can't be arsed to change down a gear. I find 5th gear, full throttle at around 1500-1800 rpm is the worst. I avoid it as much as possible.

I noticed it about a week after I got the car and the characteristic hasn't changed at all in almost 60,000 miles. The transmission has always had a bit of a knock when lifting off in a higher gear as well but that has been the same also.

Well, as judder on mine seems the same as in yours, I hope it will stay that way and not get worse. It wouldn't concern me too much if it wasn't for known Octy flywheel problem. I hope it's not flywheel. Thanks God I've done extended waranty so I still have one more year to see how it goes.

Thanks for your replies.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a two months of that judder I can say that it's now more noticable. Still not hard juddering but I can feel it more often. Before I go to my dealer I'll do full tracking alignment and wheels balance. I don't believe it would solve anything but just to make sure.

I'll let others know about development.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit of a thread revival this one :rofl:

Regarding the juddering felt under high engine load (top gear up a hill on a motorway for instance), forgive my ignorance but are there dampers on the TDI drive shafts? If one of these has failed could this produce juddering similar to an iffy DMF?

I think statistics show 40% of returned DMFs are in fact fine. Could something like a damper be overlooked?

The reason I asked is I had my DMF replaced last month and while the violent judder has been cured, there is a different kind of juddering still present.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

A bit of a thread revival this one :rofl:

Regarding the juddering felt under high engine load (top gear up a hill on a motorway for instance), forgive my ignorance but are there dampers on the TDI drive shafts? If one of these has failed could this produce juddering similar to an iffy DMF?

I think statistics show 40% of returned DMFs are in fact fine. Could something like a damper be overlooked?

The reason I asked is I had my DMF replaced last month and while the violent judder has been cured, there is a different kind of juddering still present.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

I know it doesn't answer your question: as I don't know the answer - but isn't full throttle in 5th gear asking a bit much? Wherever did mechanical sympathy get to?

I had a similar problem with my 1.9 tdi estate, starting off was no problem, just going up a hill, if you put your foot down a bit more than normal then the engine would start to judder. Changing down gear would cure it. Dealer replaced the dmf and clutch with no problems. When I got it back, it never ran as smooth, I suspect they replaced with a single mass flywheel. I sold it shortly afterwards so I dont know what the final outcome was.

I know it doesn't answer your question: as I don't know the answer - but isn't full throttle in 5th gear asking a bit much? Wherever did mechanical sympathy get to?

That part of the rev range is where peak torque is available, I don't see the point of a diesel engine if I can't use it where it produces the most grunt :)

At 1500> rpm the turbo usually spools up well and the car is willing to accelerate at an acceptable rate so I don't regard it as being unsympathetic to the transmission or engine.

My earlier quote was regarding a harsh vibration/shuddering and the flywheel has since been replaced. The problem I have now is different, more like a seriously unbalanced wheel :thumbdwn:

I've got the juddering too - 54 Octy 1.9 TDi 105 DSG. About 60 - 80 on light throttle (motorway cruising) in 6th, less noticeable in 5th if I'm overtaking and accelerating hard ("hard" being a relative term here - the car isn't exactly blistering) Had the tracking and balancing checked - no different. I also get a kinda "hiccup" if I back off at those speeds. Car is coming up to 80k with FSH and seems to have spent most of it's life on the motorway as the miles are higher than average but so is the condition of the car. I have a "mechanical breakdown" warranty so it's not really in my interest to get it looked at - I'll just wait for something to snap in half!

Edited by shadley80s

Exactly what I am getting. I am wondering whether its drive shaft related, either an inner CV joint or this damper I mentioned - if there at all.

My tracking was miles out, as was my rear camber. They are all squared up now and the tracking is also fine, the front suspension has taken a few nasty bangs in its life thanks to deep potholes, not CV friendly either.

Mine is an '07 and its done over 83k now, mostly motorway miles as well. I get a slight clunk when the transmissions takes up the slack as it were.

If it helps at all, I had this problem with my old Octavia - a 140 TDi PD. The problem turned out to be the alignment of the back wheels. I posted here and someone gave me the correct alignment settings. (http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/common_problems.htm) It was an 05 plate car, so I would hope by now Skoda have sorted the problem, but on mine the camber and tracking was way off. A session on a laser rig sorted it.

It causes odd wearing on the rear tyres (I went through rear tyres in about 15K miles, which is very low). You start with a small judder which just feels like something on the road, but it just worse and really oddly it is much more pronounced when accelerating hard. I used to notice it going up motorway slip roads. Replace the tyres and the problems goes away. Wait 15K miles and it comes back again. Sort the tracking/alignment and it went away and the next set of tyres did 20K before I sold the car for a VRS. At that point though I did check the tyres and the wear was not abnormal.

hope this helps

Paul

Edited by Paul_Sc

Odd that, I've recently had the alignment done on my 07 L&K. The rear camber was miles out of whack and the front tracking was out too (****ed steering wheel at straight ahead)

As a consequence the rear tyres have worn badly, they are more 50p shape than round :eek:

There is still loads of meat on them so I am reluctant to change them but I think i'll bite the bullet and stick some new'uns on.