Advice needed : RS booked in for Revo remap

Flanno

I've booked my 02 RS in for a Revo Ramap next

Friday. The expected result is 210bhp/240lbs torque.

Not bad. Cost is approx. 750 euors (499 stg) inc. vat.

The company that is fitting it though are recommending I

upgrade the dump valve. This comes to over 200 euros.

They claim the standard one will be prone to leaking.

I'm not sure what model they are putting in, but is it worth

it or a waste of money, and what type should I make sure they

do not put in ?

Also, more worrying is they recommend a K&N 57i induction

kit. Approx 150 euros. Is this worth getting. I have

read on these forums these kits offer very little in the

way of a performance increase, and as they are oiled this

can interfere with the MAF. Any truth to this. Also this

model, while specifically for the RS does not have a heat

shield, but I am told K&N would not supply these for the

RS if it caused problems with the MAF or excess heat.

Would I be better not taking the risk and just save my money ?

Finally, they offer a full cat back system and high flow down

pipe for 1300 euros. Fitting is extra. Expected increase they

say is 5-10bhp. Seems a lot for so little.

So I was thinking the Revo remap and Dump Valve upgrade,

and forgetting about the induction kit and exhaust system

for now.

Thx for the advice.

I'm going to ring him in a little while and get a price on the DV, and make.

As for the induction kit - is this a waste and putting the MAF at risk ?

And that exhaust system - 1200euros for 5-10bhp is very expensive I think.

thx

I wouldn't bother with the induction kit. IMHO, its more noise / show than go. Better bet, get a replacement panel filter (K & N or Green) and ditch the fins in the standard airbox. Looks nice and stealthy too :D

I'd have thought you'd get more from the exhaust. Having said that, the exhaust seems to give more torque than BHP.

Re the dump valve, contact Forge directly and ask for a 10% discount or contact Bill (Badger5 on here) and get a Forge one. Think they are about

The chaps that are doing the remap are Westward Engineeing in Enfield, Meath.

I was just on to them, and they said the dump valve is an AMD double air-recirculation one and not an atmospheric one. Doesn't mean much to me. If this sounds pants, I might get the Forge.

They also suggested if I am wary of the induction kit, that I could go for a panel filter as some people suggested here.

So it looks like I will get the ecu remap done for definite. They recommend a rolling road a week or so later, not straight after the remap as the ecu takes at least 24 hours to set in. They have not done Rs's before, just Gold 1.8 180bhp's, and they say 210bhp is a typical figure. Should I expect more or less ?

Great stuff.

Just placed my order for the 007p on Forges website.

Comes to 94.59 sterling with shipping to be confirmed. Hope it isnt too much.

Also rang Westward (who are doing the remap) and they will fit it when doing the ecu remap next friday.

Thanks for the advice on the forge by the way.

Saved myself over 100 euros :)

Really looking forward to the remap now.

By the way, when I asked about the K&N induction kit causing havoc with the MAF the tuner told me he never heard of this happening, and MAF's can go anytime. What is the experience of people on this forum and there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence about K&N causing problems that I can see. Thx.

As long as the filters are non-oiled (or minimal oiled) you'll be fine with the MAF

disclaimer: this is the sort of information I picked up here, not my own experience... ymmv

• Administrators

OEM airboxes and MAF's FAIl. MAFS Fail. But as you have a custom intake it's easier to blame that than the MAF.

Local tuner has replaced more MAFs on stock airbox fitted cars than those with custom Intakes.

By all accounts it's essentially driven by stress, as the airflow moves in two directions over the maf...simple plain old stress of moving one way then the other.

Oil or overoilling excluded from the above, but I think it was Des that found engine oil on pipe leading up to the maf...

Shouldn't be any oil there - air goes intake -> airbox -> MAF -> turbo -> intercooler -> engine ... so I can't see how oil could get back up the pipe except at idle possibly when there'd be only a low flow rate.

Shouldn't be any oil there - air goes intake -> airbox -> MAF -> turbo -> intercooler -> engine ... so I can't see how oil could get back up the pipe except at idle possibly when there'd be only a low flow rate.

I think that they mean filters which have a layer of oil applied to, in theory, catch dust particles.

Well I spoke with someone in Forge and they said the K&N for the RS has a minimal amount of oil in it, so I should be ok.

So I will get the induction kit and revo done next Friday ?

How long before I get it dynod The tuner says wait a week ?

• Administrators

I think the air comes backup when you left, as the dv is not to atmosphere it must go somewhere, back to the airbox, thus carrying oil....least thats what I understood....