No drilling req'??

Dan_P

Does anyone do an upper strut brace for the Octy Vrs that doesn't require drilling :confused:

Don't realy want to be banging holes through my car :thumbdwn:

I just got my S3 lower brace from Audi.... it cost me 16.50!!!! :D what a bargain, should be putting it on today but would like the upper to go with it.

many thanks to NCARRING for the part numbers.

8N0 199 403B Brace

N 104 679 01 Bolt x 2

N 909 147 01 Insert Nut x 2

I might be being dense, but how else is it going to brace the suspension strut housing if you don't drill the bodywork? I don't think a bit of sticky-back plastic will be effective. Its needs to bolt it firmly to the body work to take the load. If you can see cracks (as I see with mine) in the painted over sealant around the tops of the strut housing where they meet the bulkhead and inside front wings then this means they flex and move when under cornering and suspension load. The brace assists in reducing this and so needs to be firmly bolted (or welded) in position, it's not there to look pretty! :rofl:

Lee

The brace assists in reducing this and so needs to be firmly bolted (or welded) in position, it's not there to look pretty! :rofl:

They could be designed to use bolts already in place, like the bonnet lifter does ;)

I fitted my S3 lower brace today, 5 minute job. I ordered the S3 upper brace too from VAGparts, it comes with 3 fixing holes on each side. You certainly will have to drill holes in top of the turrets to fit it.

The question I have is which bolts to order to fit it, and what sort of fixings will I need - can anyone help please? :confused:

Thanks,

Andy

I might be being dense' date=' but how else is it going to brace the suspension strut housing if you don't drill the bodywork? I don't think a bit of sticky-back plastic will be effective. Its needs to bolt it firmly to the body work to take the load. If you can see cracks (as I see with mine) in the painted over sealant around the tops of the strut housing where they meet the bulkhead and inside front wings then this means they flex and move when under cornering and suspension load. The brace assists in reducing this and so needs to be firmly bolted (or welded) in position, it's not there to look pretty! :rofl:

Lee[/quote']

The one I was getting for the Scoob used existing bolts (ie the ones used to keep the suspension from falling out :D ) and had a golf mk1 with a strut brace that used the original bolts, after all it is the struts you are trying to keep in place :confused: so it doesn't seem to far fetched to be using the origional bolts?

So I take it there isn't one that doesn't need drilling then.

what about if I used chewing gum :rolleyes:

The Octavia front struts are held in by the top nut and a cap, not directly bolted to the body.

A brace on these nuts wouldnt be secure to the body and would offer any support. Hence the Audi one having studs on the body to take the brace. When we fit S3 braces to Golfs and the like you need to drill three holes on the turret tops and use M8 bolts with washers and locknuts, bring the bolt up from underneath and fix with the nut on top. You can get the stainless closed cap nuts that look a bit smarter.

The Octavia front struts are held in by the top nut and a cap, not directly bolted to the body

Cheers M8 :thumbup:

looks like I will be drilling holes in my car :thumbdwn:

better get someone else to do it :thumbup:

The Octavia front struts are held in by the top nut and a cap' date=' not directly bolted to the body.

A brace on these nuts wouldnt be secure to the body and would offer any support. Hence the Audi one having studs on the body to take the brace. When we fit S3 braces to Golfs and the like you need to drill three holes on the turret tops and use M8 bolts with washers and locknuts, bring the bolt up from underneath and fix with the nut on top. You can get the stainless closed cap nuts that look a bit smarter.[/quote']

Thanks Ross :thumbup:

The one I was getting for the Scoob used existing bolts (ie the ones used to keep the suspension from falling out :D ) and had a golf mk1 with a strut brace that used the original bolts' date=' after all it is the struts you are trying to keep in place :confused: so it doesn't seem to far fetched to be using the origional bolts?

So I take it there isn't one that doesn't need drilling then.

what about if I used chewing gum :rolleyes:[/quote']

Apologies Dan, I was not aware that the Furby turret for instance has bolts through the top of it that can be utilised, I only have ever had cars with non-bolted suspension turrets, such as the Octy, so in answer to my own question, yes I was being dense then :rofl: . Chewing gum - tends to lose its stickyness after a while, try some mould resistant bathroom silicone sealent instead!

Lee

I own an Octy so I (someone else :D) will just have to drill it :eek:

If I wasn't such a muppet I would of noticed the lack of mounting points on the struts, as they arn't hard to see (open bonnet - look)

so I think the dense award is still on my shelf M8 :D

I think we have one or two in. theres a couple of different ones available so we can have a measure up on Saturday.

Cheers

Ross

me feels my credit card will be taking a another hit this weekend, thank you mr mastercard