Just noticed....

PSM

I have only had the car nearly 9 months and I have only just noticed that the windscreen wipers change speed when you stop. In the rain yesterday I had the wipers on medium constant speed and stopped at some traffic lights. I then realised that the wipers slowed down to intermittant speed. I then tried it at full constant speed and when I stopped the wipers slowed to the medium constant speed. I did not try if it is on intermittent if it actual stops or goes slower (save that for another day!!)

I wonder what other 'features' I have not noticed yet!!!!!!!

Do you have the Auto Sensing Wipers?

If so, it leads to the question...

Is this a function of the change in the amount of rain hitting the screen, or is it directly linked to vehicle speed?

Slower speed, lower revs, slower alternator speed = less electric power so slower wiper speed. Darn those dodgy electrics...

;););)

Look on the bright side, on my Minor the equation is:

Slower speed, lower revs, slower dynamo = naff all electric power so wipers virtually stop (particularly if you have ridiculously excessive things like heaters and lights on)!! :D

I have the auto sensing wipers and I noticed the same thing yesterday. In light rainfall I had wipers on low speed continuous and realised after I stopped at lights that they had switched down a notch to intermittent. As soon as I moved off they went back to low speed continuous.

Which begs a question - if you have auto sensing wipers and they are set on low speed continuous, if the rain increases dramatically do they move up a notch to high speed continuous. I may experiment with the hose pipe :-)

Which begs a question - if you have auto sensing wipers and they are set on low speed continuous, if the rain increases dramatically do they move up a notch to high speed continuous. I may experiment with the hose pipe :-)

I doubt it, would think they will only get faster when on the first setting. Has anyone read the owners manual on this. I pick mine up tonight, so no doubt it'll be raining and I'll be able to tell.

The rain sensing wipers probably make the rain sensor itself the priority for controlling the wiper speed which is then trimmed according to road speed.

The switch on top of the wiper stalk also adjusts the sensitivity of the wipers, this must also add an offset to the speed/intermittent time of the wipers.

It's not a bug. Even without the rain sensor, if you have your wipers on constant while moving they will switch to intermittent while standing still. If they are already on intermittent, they'll stay that way, and increase the interval between wipes a bit.

They also move faster as you pick up speed. Makes sense, as you are getting more rain face first.

I have a rain sensor and the switch on the top of the stalk increases/decreases the sensitivity of the sensor.

If you set the stalk on intermittent, i.e. controlled by the sensor, then the speed of the wipers is affected by the amount of rain falling.

In heavy downpours the wiper speed increases and at times it appears to be faster than the fastest setting on the stalk!

I have a rain sensor and the switch on the top of the stalk increases/decreases the sensitivity of the sensor.

If you set the stalk on intermittent, i.e. controlled by the sensor, then the speed of the wipers is affected by the amount of rain falling.

In heavy downpours the wiper speed increases and at times it appears to be faster than the fastest setting on the stalk!

Yes ! but wiper speed is still road speed dependent as well as sensitivity setting, even with the rain sensor IMHO

In my opinion, if there is a rain sensor that takes precedence over anything else.

I mean, without one, you guess how much water hits the windshield, and you can aproximate that by how fast you are travelling, as you meet more drops head on.

But with a rain sensor everything is different, you know how much water is on it.