Upgrading headlight bulbs

As stated in my other post I couldn't stretch my finances to include xenons on my newly ordered Octavia (Family trip to South Africa to pay for), so I was wondering if people had any experience of upgrading the headlight bulbs.

I noticed on a website that Osram claim to give 90% more "whiter" light. Are these bulbs worth the cost? And if so which are best?

Many thanks again

Adrian

Think the concensus seems to be Philips Extreme . Various threads on here mentioning them . Fitted a H7 set to my Roomster last week . Well chuffed . Simple easy upgrade . (Having small hands helps ) Try powerbulbs.com

I've recently upgraded to Osram Nightbreakers recently and they are very very good.

I used H1's in the main beam and it's a vast improvement over the poor OEM effort.

I've been happy with the improvement with Nightbreakers too - have a search on this forum for more on this.

There are several bulb tests by AutoExpress - Phillips Extreme seems to be the pick of the crop. See: Accessory of the year: Philips X-treme Power | Product Honours 2007 | Products | Auto Express

We fitted Philips Extremes to our Octy as the OE lights are woeful. I think the projector design is made to suit Xenon/HID and doesn't fare well with Halogen bulbs, sort of pushing you up the expensive options-list. The difference is very noticeable and we are now very happy with the lights. I also fitted the bulbs in my Fabia and there was a noticeable improvement to the already excellent light output from them too.

No need for small hands or cuts and bruises on an Octy, the whole headlight pops out after removing one nylon nut and pulling a lever, making bulb changing a doddle.

While the headlamp is out, spray the black plastic housing for the latches(not the light fitting) with some WD-40 or some light grease while exercising the mechanism as they become VERY hard to remove over time.

I fitted the Philips Extremes to my car and felt they made a moderate improvement, though claims of 80 & 90% more light create expectations that aren't met in reality.

Don't expect Xenon levels of night vision, but for £30 or thereabouts it's worth doing.

Although I haven't fitted any yet, I would suggest that the main beam bulbs are replaced at the same time (probably with Osrams, as Philips don't do H1 Extremes) as they seem noticeably dim compared to low beam.

I put the H1 nightbreakers in to complement the xenon dipped beams, I also had to adjust the main beam downwards as the light was aiming up into the trees.

If you want to do aftermarket Xenon then try Hids4U.co.uk i havent done yet but will be in the near future. A mate of mine has put them on his Octy vRS TDI and they work perfectly. A bargain too at £250 compared to the nigh on £500 that Skoda charge (i know you dont get self levelling or headlight washers).

If you dont want to risk doing Xenon then im using Phillips Extreme at the mo and they are a Good improvement over OEM but as has been said earlier dont expect xenon levels of light.

I don't condone the use of aftermarket HID's but they are miles better when fitted to a car with projector headlamps but despite this, you still lack the self levelling facility and headlight washers bar a few models.

When they are fitted to a car with rear reflector fittings the beam scatters all over the place.

On top of that most people opt for the high K lamps which give out a really blue/voilet light (8000K and above) that is very poor for night time driving.

Stick with some high efficiency halogens if you can't access OEM xenon units.