Cars starts then dies: 16275 PO341 Camshaft problem? Help needed? Very weird fault?

pietch

My PD TDI starts every time and then dies...after 5 or 6 attempts it then runs and drives 100%, is has been doing this for 2 days now.

I plugged in VAG fault reader and got:

16275 PO341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circut - Out of range or performance

I suspect it may be full or dirt or oil from a mild leak - not sure where it is to check? Can anyone confirm - also any special tools needed to to this or words of warning?

Is this a common problem on the PD TDI's, do camshaft position sensors perish with age/ milage?

Advice appreciated?

ps. I had a cam belt change 1000 miles ago, but can't see that being the problem.

does it run ok when it finally does start ? if not the timing could have slipped

the camshaft sensor is behind the top timing belt inner cover , i've never heard of one going faulty , but we change a few on the Ford diesels , intermittant none start, cutting out concerns are the symptoms

Ric04vrs...

Thanks for reply!

The car runs as usual once it starts, performance is perfect! It just takes about 5/6 attempts before it starts and runs perfect...

Sounds like a faulty sensor then... is it hard to remove timing belt cover and replace sensor myself, how do I access it?

Cheers!

the Haynes says remove the top timing belt cover , dead easy , clip at the front and clip at the rear , then lift off

then there a grommet behind the belt pulley to access the sensor , no pictures of the sensor in the Haynes and as i've never seen it myself , can't go into anymore detail , sorry

Disconnect it to see if it makes a difference. I disconnected mine one time to see what would happen. The car started ok( just took a little longer) but didn't cut out. Just disconnect to see if it still cuts out. The ecu compensates when it's disconnected.

Of course the other option is the the ECU is going mad and breaking or that the remap/tuning box/resistor mod combo you use on the engine has caused the timing to advance too far and hence the sensor is sending signals that are out of the expected range.

Did the error state implausible values?

Try disconnecting the battery (negative), taking off the resistor and tuning box, giving it 15 minutes with the battery disconnected then reconnect the battery.

Let it run for a bit and hopefully this should reset the ECU to default values and let you know if it is what i suggest.

Sure... a good idea! I'll try this...

I have the digital tuning box turned off at the moment and I did try without the resistor... anyway I'll disconnect the battery right after I try my spare air flow meter.

Let you all know.

Hmm, there must be a camshaft position sensor of sorts as you can measure its values in Vagcom.

As its simply a cold start problem, could it be glow plugs at fault? Does it only do this when cold?

Yes... FIXED IT!!!!!

There was a crimped (previously repaired by Dealer) wire that went from a sensor (must have been crank sensor) around the oil filler area to the loom... then to the ECU I presume.... it looked oxodised so I cut it fresh and re-crimped it - hey presto, starts first time every time now!

I'll check tonight using the fault code reader to see what it says now!

Either way how come once started the engine ran perfect (i.e. without crank sensor imput?).

Thanks all for help - much appreciated!