Getting the power down - Octy RS tyres

Gumball095

I've just had my 03 Octy RS chipped and its great except that the wheels spin all the way through first and partway through second. I understand that you're going to get some wheelspin on a front driver but my last car (an embarrassingly boy-racered up Rover 220 turbo :rofl: ) managed with considerably less wallowing. Does anyone have any ideas on what tyres to use to reduce this to a manageable amount? :)

Oki Doki...questions..

Are we talking ASR on or Off here?

If on, then it's a question of feeding in the power, you CAN make fast starts in spite of what some will tell you..

If it's ASR off...forget it. Or practice a LOT :D

Tyres...

What are you running? If it's the usual Dunlops or Conti's then they are 2 entirely different tyres. Dunlops suck (i had them) Contis do not suck (i have them now)

Not sure how Pirellis, Toyos etc etc fair, cos i've never tried them :)

Would one of you 3 care to answer Gumball's question on tyres perhaps?

Or do you simply not have a clue as usual ?? :D :P

Slicks... ;)

Ta for this. Running the Dunlops at the mo' (damn) and will try changing them. I'm talking ASR on or off (related question - what does asr stand for and why can't manufacturers just stick to the familiar "traction control"?!) With ASR off its obviously worse. Think there's scope for some improvement although not total eradication. Do you know if the Bridgestone Potenza's are made in the right size. A mate has them on his Audi S4 and they're great (although obviously that's 4x4 before anyone says anything!)

I thought you answered it, Geoff? Feed the power in rather than just flooring it?

As you said, the Dunlops are spin-happy. Even the 14" Dunlop Sports I used to have were more than happy to give in to wheelspin and letting go on roundabouts!

Swapping to 16" wheels and Michellin Pilot Primacy tyres has (for me) made a huge difference. It's just the vRS boys who don't like them... :)

• Administrators
I've just had my 03 Octy RS chipped and its great except that the wheels spin all the way through first and partway through second. I understand that you're going to get some wheelspin on a front driver but my last car (an embarrassingly boy-racered up Rover 220 turbo :rofl: ) managed with considerably less wallowing. Does anyone have any ideas on what tyres to use to reduce this to a manageable amount? :)

Okay I used to have the 4x4 and got very bored with the ability to take of with no wheelspin, on that I ran toyo proxies. Since I have changed to a FWD vRS and now I have wheelspin occasionally :D Great.

Okay it came with proxies and I hated it, nothing like the grip I assumed I was getting before. SO they went, and on came Pirelli Asemtrico's from the P-Zero range...bloody fantastic. Nero and Rosso are also in this line and I understand them to be better still or equal. Lateral grip is also excellent, turn in is not as sharp as a directional tyre such as the proxys but grip duration is much improved.

Hope that helps, FYI the Zero's are between 100 and 150 per corner. Mine have done 5-6k and two track days and still have life on them...a good few k.

Go on - state it - you know you want to. Would have got a 4x4 but they're too tame!!

Exactly. The RS is certainly more intense with it's fury of spinning wheels, whereas the 4x4 just does as it's asked, boring really.

If you prefered the fury, then why worry about getting the power down? Frantic wheelspin is part of the experience :D

Do you know if the Bridgestone Potenza's are made in the right size.
Of course they are. I had a set of S-03s fitted recently and they are hugely grippy. I was advised that the P-Zeros (either Nero or Rosso) are the best track tyres (so that's why Jon is advising them?) but won't last as long as the Bridgestones. As I don't do trackdays and had no problem spending the tiny amount of extra cash, I went for the Potenzas. They're excellent in the wet too.

I've got SO-3s on the Front and Conti Sportcontact on rear, gives a neutral to oversteer car. SO-3s more or less best allround tyre money can buy.

My stock vRS lights up the SO-3s very easily and it when doin this it makes horrible vibrating and thumping noises as it the front wheels r bouncing off the tarmac. Thinks my shocks r gone.

If u launch at 2.5K rpm then u will get a very good start with light wheelspin(with ASR off in the dry cos it hinders quick progress). This was the launch speed i was using when doin 1/4 mile runs. Also get stiffer shocks and springs.

I think Jon has mentioned it previously already, but no one else has picked up on the suspension issue. Accelerated sharply in a front wheel drive front engined car, and considerable weight transfer takes place, lightening the front wheels and so reducing friction and hence invoking wheel spin. Greater damping is needed to stop the front of the car rising under acceleration.

Do you suffer with tramping under acceleration (i.e. funny banging noise from the front suspension as the wheel jumps up and down)? Again better damping should see this reduced if not eliminated.

Lee

One stage further & I guess a new diff would help, depends how far you want to go. TSR are running a Passat with a somewhat tweaked V6 which gives 400 ish through the front wheels & aparently thats un passable on the track