Baker21's Superb........beading Baby!!!

Baker21

OK, key points from me again regarding car care:

1. Sorry, 2 bucket method is jjust not enough - you end up with a lot of sand in the first bucket....and scratching the paintwork.

2. Nothing beats manual wash with waterjet rinse+brush, bucket of warm car shampoo solution + sponge, another waterjet rinse, quick dry with cloth/chamois and hard wax afterwards. BUT the whole lot takes ~3 hours i(ncluding wheels) to do it right. And it does nothing for the underbody.

3. The automated car wash with hot waxing gives you 85% of the above in under 10mins and no sweat. It also protects the underbody which if you look at all the corroded bolts might make a difference. It does to me.

BUT you need to find a good car wash with good staff. My tried and tested way to check out unknown car wash is to ask around first, and then to try it out with the old Octavia several times before I go there with the (newer) Superb.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Sorry, 2 bucket method is jjust not enough - you end up with a lot of sand in the first bucket....and scratching the paintwork.

2. Nothing beats manual wash with waterjet rinse+brush, bucket of warm car shampoo solution + sponge, another waterjet rinse, quick dry with cloth/chamois and hard wax afterwards. BUT the whole lot takes ~3 hours i(ncluding wheels) to do it right. And it does nothing for the underbody.

3. The automated car wash with hot waxing gives you 85% of the above in under 10mins and no sweat. It also protects the underbody which if you look at all the corroded bolts might make a difference. It does to me.

BUT you need to find a good car wash with good staff. My tried and tested way to check out unknown car wash is to ask around first, and then to try it out with the old Octavia several times before I go there with the (newer) Superb.

1) 2BM is not enough as this is only one of the stages in your wash process however you should be using grit guards as I do which prevents dirt scratching paintwork, also you should be using a Wash Mitt and not a sponge....

2) Sponge and Chamois will cause scratches on your paintwork....

3) All depends what your after, granted it takes 10 mins but IMO you will have more damage to the paint than before....

It all depends what you want but for me and granted this is a large 'detail' this is my usual process:

UDM VS BMW E46 320i CABRIO........ - Detailing World

Udm Vs Audi A4 (b7) Sportline........lovely Motor!!! - Detailing World

You'll end up with lots of dirt in the second bucket, as thats where you rinse the wash mitt out. Once you've rinsed it out. when the mitt goes into the shampoo bucket it stays clean. By the end of the wash once I've covered the whole car, the shampoo bucket is as clean as I first started. The second bucket is filthy, but you can empty this out as much as you want during the washing process.

Actually, as stated above, it does. I spray AG Shampoo all over the car first with a foamer gun, clean the wheels while the car soak, then rinse off the foam. Then I'll use the two bucket method and a wash mitt to go over the bodywork and dry with an AG drying towel, using Meguairs Quick Detailer to help with the drying process. Took me an hour to do yesterday, including getting all the equipment out and putting it away. If I was to take my time, maybe add on another 15 mins at the most. But it wouldn't take me 3 hours just for a wash and dry. That will be for a waxing session with mild paint correction.

Thats great if you have more than one vehicle at home but many people here do not. And even if they did, by the time they've gone through all that effort of finding a decent car wash place and driving there and back etc, they might as well ahve just washed the car themselves. :thumbup:

I know your all for this automated car wash with 'hot wax' but I'm not a fan of any car washes. Even the H2O in Bullring, Birmingham, that use AG stuff and use wash mitts etc don't do a fantastic job, and that's all done by hand. And even after using these two bucket mehtods etc, you'll still get marring over the paint, but it won't be as bad as if you used other methods.

One more thing, these automated car washes are very limited. If you get marring on your paintwork, hot wax will not hide it. It will probably make them even more apparent. By the time you've corrected it yourself, either by hand or using a PC, then once you go back to these automated car washes they would have removed these fillers anyway as most use TFR to remove the dirt. Which puts you back to square one!

• 1 year later...

There seems to be some debate as to which way to wash your car. I'd like to put the argument to rest here and now. Paradoxically you're all wrong, whilst at the same time, you're all right too.

I shall explain.

Manual washing yields far superior results but it's best to get someone else to do it for you. Gentlemen, allow me to illustrate my point ...

carwash.gif

... I do trust there will be no more discussion.

• 3 months later...

DSC00549-1.jpg

I know this is a real blast from the past, but a question regarding beading, I know beading is a result of waxing, but should it stay on a car or should it bead off? Mine always seems to hold water beads, rather large ones but results in water marks when it drys.

Like pic attached

post-35-12655764575372_thumb.jpg

I know this is a real blast from the past, but a question regarding beading, I know beading is a result of waxing, but should it stay on a car or should it bead off? Mine always seems to hold water beads, rather large ones but results in water marks when it drys.

Like pic attached

I would say that water running off the paintwork is best as that shows that it really is well protected but beads also show protection so I guess it depends on what your really looking for? Better to have some beads as opposed to nothing............ :thumbdown:

Looks like you could do with some 'Rain Repellent' on your wind screen mate......... :thumbup:

There seems to be some debate as to which way to wash your car. I'd like to put the argument to rest here and now. Paradoxically you're all wrong, whilst at the same time, you're all right too.

I shall explain.

Manual washing yields far superior results but it's best to get someone else to do it for you. Gentlemen, allow me to illustrate my point ...

carwash.gif

... I do trust there will be no more discussion.

What about interior :) ?

This one is good as well :) look what is she doing with aerial :p

CLICK

Edited by BaD-BoY

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you could do with some 'Rain Repellent' on your wind screen mate......... :thumbup:

Did I see you post a picture before of a Halfords Rain Repellent bottle, IIRC is was a wine/brown colour. I was in Halfords today and picked up a blue bottle, just wondering if it's the same stuff?

Did I see you post a picture before of a Halfords Rain Repellent bottle, IIRC is was a wine/brown colour. I was in Halfords today and picked up a blue bottle, just wondering if it's the same stuff?

You sure did mate, it's the light blue bottle with a black top and comes in a box with an applicator from Halfords, good stuff IMHO.......... :thumbup:

You sure did mate, it's the light blue bottle with a black top and comes in a box with an applicator from Halfords, good stuff IMHO.......... :thumbup:

Cool, I dunno where I got the wine/brown colour idea from so :think:

:thumbup:

Edited by GAFF