Who has Mintex Extreme Pads in stock?

RichB86

I had read they were being discontinued...

The reason is to do with Regulation 90 which is an EC specification governing the extent to which road use brake parts can vary away from standard OEM specification.

It was Mintex's intention all along to produce a range of discs to go with the Xtreme pads but in testing they could not economically produce a disc which would meet the wear rate in all car applications when coupled to the Xtreme pads. This is not to say that Xtreme wear your discs out - the effect is only marginal but on some vehicles the wear rate would have been outside the strict Regulation 90 limits. They could not therefore complete the product portfolio of having discs too.

For this reason the decision was made to drop the brand.

I've seen suggestions of using the 1144 pad as an alternative, but I never got on with these and I'm not sure if they comply to Regulation 90 limits either.

Chris

they have been stopped thus me panicking as all the places ive tried so far have sold out.

wehey!!! i now have them coming courtesy of awesome gti thankyou very much now have a much lighter wallet!

Just spoken to GSF to cancel my order and had convisation with them they seemed to think that they could no longer get them in from there supplier.

then they attempted to sell me Green stuff pads quite agressivley!

just to confirm the rumours that sarah at awesome gti is very good at emptying wallets!

I'm going to go with EBC redstuff ceramic V3 I think, but still undecided.

The local factor had told me the Mintex got replaced "when you change the discs" and implied they ate them.

The Mintex don't eat the discs however the wear rate is higher than oem which I would expect given the level of performance you get out of them

Please don't get the Red stuffs :( I had the latest compound on for a track day and they disintegrated. They are also crap on the roads needing a bit of heat in them to start working :eek:

thought about ferrodo's lot of people seem to be impressed with them.

Yes and IMVHO DS200 - ****e and not cheap, DS2500 good, but a lot less bite from cold and very expensive.

Decron, I've been in cars equipped with redstuff and there was certainly bite from stone cold as I was almost licking the windscreen. I know the old redstuff were not good but the ceramics are an improvement.

They are also E-Marked which is useful for insurance company purposes.

One guy I talked to at the motor factor (who used to sell them) was slagging the mintex off something chronic as he said they wore the disks in a single go and that usually he gets 2 pad changes on a set of discs.

Anyway, as I said won't be mintex as you can't get them anyway, won't be ferodo as I can't justify 3 times the price of OEM.

It really is down to OEM or Redstuff Ceramic V3

Bolleaux.

HTH :D

Chris

Well at least I can base my Bolleaux on empirical evidence.

Green stuff = Crap (Shame I can't find the photos of them in pieces after 500 miles)

Red Stuff = Even crapper especially after 5 laps of Castle Combe. Might as well have been using cheese. The drive home from the track was ... interesting as was the next 2000 miles. This photo was taken when I took them off;

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26639&g2_serialNumber=2

And yes these were the "New Improved Ceramic compound" Red Stuffs and the bedding in procedure was followed to the letter and although they were not as badly degraded as the Green Stuff they were completely useless as brake pads. Prior to the track session I though they were just "bedding in" a bit more as i tdoes say they can take up to a 1000 miles and though they must get better after this distance which would be a similar experiance to any other set of pads I have ever fitted to any other car, alas no...

Think I still have them somewhere, I keep them as a reminder of how easy it is to waste £70 because someone on a forum said "They are great". I might have had a duff set but there have been several threads on here and many other forums saying the same and this was my genuine experiance. Every morning I would drive down the road fearing for my life untill I have got round a few roundabouts at which point we seemed to get some "normal" braking efficiency, the track session (Which the OEM pads coped fine with a month earlier BTW) really did for them.

I had read they were being discontinued...

I've seen suggestions of using the 1144 pad as an alternative, but I never got on with these and I'm not sure if they comply to Regulation 90 limits either.

Chris

I have used the 1144's and came highly recommended by my rally mechanic and he knows his stuff believe me.

Had them on my old pug and they were unbelievable and ARE road legal, 'the ultimate fast road pads'

They are a bit dodgy when cold but when heated up the performance is second to none, you will not get a single ounce of brake fade.

I recommend them highly:thumbup:

They are a bit dodgy when cold but when heated up the performance is second to none, you will not get a single ounce of brake fade.

Brake fade is typically down to the fluid, not the pads.... Having used several pads, 1144's would be well down the list - DS2500's are much better ;)

Chris

Red Stuff = Even crapper especially after 5 laps of Castle Combe. Might as well have been using cheese. The drive home from the track was ... interesting as was the next 2000 miles. This photo was taken when I took them off;

Funnily enough the 2 sets of Red Stuff I've used *have* survived days on track/airfield without a problem and the ones in the 928 must have done about 50 laps of Castle Combe without one single problem and were fine on the drive home.

I knew this was a particular bugbear of yours, however, which is why my bolleaux only referred to their performance from cold (as I only quoted that section in my reply) as the majority of Mark's driving will be on the road.

Chris

Well at least I can base my Bolleaux on empirical evidence.

Green stuff = Crap (Shame I can't find the photos of them in pieces after 500 miles)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26639&g2_serialNumber=2

Interesting picture that, but the Redstuff ceramics I have seen are all on red not black backing plates and the compound is red coated at the edges.

IMHO If they are EBC pads they are the Ultimax or Reg 90 OEM replacement items.

Either way having been in Chris' car and now been in some others too. On me having a drive of one of these cars I've plumped for a set of EBC redstuff ceramic V3 pads for £66 delivered.

The fact that the supplier is sufficiently confident I've been told I can return them for a credit or a different set of pads if I'm not happy is a bonus too. :)

I'll report back on how it all goes.

Interesting picture that, but the Redstuff ceramics I have seen are all on red not black backing plates and the compound is red coated at the edges.

IMHO If they are EBC pads they are the Ultimax or Reg 90 OEM replacement items.

Either way having been in Chris' car and now been in some others too. On me having a drive of one of these cars I've plumped for a set of EBC redstuff ceramic V3 pads for £66 delivered.

The fact that the supplier is sufficiently confident I've been told I can return them for a credit or a different set of pads if I'm not happy is a bonus too. :)

I'll report back on how it all goes.

They were red they are just covered in crap. They ARE Red Stuff ceramics.

They were red they are just covered in crap. They ARE Red Stuff ceramics.

The red stuff I saw yesterday are still red, Chris, are yours still red? Crap doesn't get on all of the backing plate and it's edges and the whole lot. The last set I had on my BX with blue backing plates were still blue after 30k.

If you have them, then feel free to pop up a pic with one of the pads worn and other over with the identifying numbers on the back showing.

I'm am affriad, however that I do not believe those pads are genuine red stuff ceramic V3. Maybe they are knock off pads?

If I'm wrong then I'll no doubt be cursing the things post installing them.

Well I'll be writing a review of the redstuff when I get it, but I think a lot of brake comments are subjective.

For example I don't like certain pads from experience and won't use others as I've heard bad things.

A review with pics of said items in question fitted to the car would always be good.

IIRC there are already a few briskies running EBC pads and they have left a review on the site.

ill certanly be interested in this review. by brother had the red stuff pad with grooved ebc discs and was always happy with them and although never did a track day they where certainly pushed as far as they could go and although they didnt last long( probably due to him and the discs) he seemed fairly happy.

Well I'll be writing a review of the redstuff when I get it, but I think a lot of brake comments are subjective.

For example I don't like certain pads from experience and won't use others as I've heard bad things.

I completely agree and that's the point of discussion and at the end of the day you take the points on board and make the choice yourself.

Btw I have found a photo of them fitted ;) (These had been on for about 50 miles)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26642&g2_serialNumber=2

The red stuff I saw yesterday are still red, Chris, are yours still red? Crap doesn't get on all of the backing plate and it's edges and the whole lot. The last set I had on my BX with blue backing plates were still blue after 30k.

If you have them, then feel free to pop up a pic with one of the pads worn and other over with the identifying numbers on the back showing.

I'm am affriad, however that I do not believe those pads are genuine red stuff ceramic V3. Maybe they are knock off pads?

If I'm wrong then I'll no doubt be cursing the things post installing them.

No seriously, if I still had the box and the invoice I would post a picture. The pads are currently in buried my workshop which I have no plans to visit for the next 2 weeks. The main reason they are covered in crap is because I slipped them quite a lot. They were black when I took them off and if I can find them when I go up there later this month I'll see if I can dig them out (Although I may have to move the MGB to get at them).

You seem convinced I am either lying or enough of a muppet not to know the difference. I can assure you that neither are the case :) I had a very negative experiance with both sets of EBC pads I tried and then had a very positive experiance with the Mintex I had. I'll never buy EBC again for any car, I just wanted to share my experiance with you so you had more information to make a choice. I hope your very happy with your pads and have more luck with them than me!

what are the ds2500's like,i'm geting a set on mine,mainly because i was told they would stand a trackday,then 4 days at the ring,and still get me back,full fluid change too,i thought the oem 312's were good but these are supposed to be a great improvement