New Octy big disappointment

Just on the fuel consumption side, I'm not finding it overly impressive, if it's anything to help you compare I have got 16k on the clock on my dsg elegance and averaged 41.8mpg over the last 1200 miles on the mfa.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just on the fuel consumption side, I'm not finding it overly impressive, if it's anything to help you compare I have got 16k on the clock on my dsg elegance and averaged 41.8mpg over the last 1200 miles on the mfa.

I would settle for that,, And I bet you weren't hanging around most of the time!!

I have been driving Carefully (Mostly) to supposedly "run it in"

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

G.K.:thumbup:

I'll add my 10p's worth for you! Couple of things, mileage certainly made a difference to my car, early days on the trip computer it averaged 38-39mpg - now its 42-43mpg so mileage does make a difference (and its not driven in a 'cherished' way any longer). your fuel level wasn't exactly low, I can get 57 ltr's in mine when its empty and at 250ish miles to halfway is about what I get then it drops like a stone. I have a 1.9 4x4 so I reckon you should expect about what I get with the bigger engine but more toys.

GK - sorry to ask but worth checking.

My vRs has maxidot and I have a choice between 2 sets of mpg figures (aswell as average and actual). These showup in the Maxidot display as a 1 or 2 with a press of the button under the stalk. If the display reads "2", its the mpg over the life of the engine and mine currently reads just over 38mpg. However, mine is usually set to "1" where each journey is different.

On a long run I get high 30's (couple of bikes on the roof, boot full of gear, 2 adults, pretty high winds last week) to just short of 50 on one particular 250 mile trip (no bikes, 2 adults, good weather). If I toggle to setting "2", its still around 38 but its increasing gradually - now at 2250 miles from new.

I've also got actual mpg and average for both - I've seen this up to over 180mpg when cruising downhill, ie no revs! to as low as 15 when pushing on.

My engine is noisey too - its the way of diesels but I actually like the sound... Its not obtrusive to make me think its faulty...

Just thought I'd share...

Hope you get things sorted.

Sorry to add my bit but the number 2 reading you refer to is not for the life but for 9999miles or 9999mins which ever comes first then it resets.

GK I would get it looked at buy an independent if you can.

I have an 07 plate 140 and now on 61k and had no end of problems with it which the dealer just keeps turning a blind eye to, last service I had to get the RAC out the next day to fix a leaking fuel filter, really don’t like main dealers.

On a car this new the last thing on my mind would be an independant looking at the car. If the supplying dealer cannot sort it out he will have it back on his forecourt for sale before long!!

You play a bit of a lottery with main dealers, some are good, some are utter ****e.

On my drive home today I did 72 miles, this consisted of some traffic in Bromley, some nice B roads across country, about 10 miles of motorway and some more A roads including 16 miles of dual, I had a full complement of tools/equipment on board AND roof bars fitted, average/gentle sort of driving with a few blasts here and there. Average MPG over the journey?

46.8MPG :thumbup:

My long term average is about 42mpg but I usually drive it like I stole it.

It's pretty hard to keep the MPG looking good in the PD140, not usually a problem in the PD130 which would surprise me by showing 55-60 mpg on the motorway although it was approaching 100k at that point!

G K This may be a bit more of a disappointment. IF I'M RIGHT???

The speedo is possible reading higher than your actual speed. Therefore the distance the car and comuper are registering is more than you actually travel.

IF I'M RIGHT??? your getting less mpg than the computer is saying.

Check with a sat nav speedo over reads anything up to plus 10%

Best bet is to do a brim to brim mileage log, this will give you a genuine MPG as the trip computer is well documented as being slightly inaccurate.

Waterloo is right, the computer is usually a little optimistic.

Brim to brim always :thumbup:

Engine tight.

Egine sound and characteristics different.

Time of year - temperatures and conditions.

If you want a 'quick but constant' improvement in mpg and noise try Millers Diesel Sport 4 (do a search, many many converts on here).

I'm going to ignore Miss Amanda's soapbox ;) but would say that MPG will usually increase as the engine settles but maybe not 20%.

A very uneven idle could suggest that an injector is injecting too much fuel which would cause increased fuel consumption as well as the odd idle.

Worth a shot at asking them to monitor the injection amounts on the computer if they can't think of anything else.

Until they have checked the injectors etc and you are happy I wouldn't touch millers etc.

Sorry to add my bit but the number 2 reading you refer to is not for the life but for 9999miles or 9999mins which ever comes first then it resets.

I stand corrected.... :o but it will give a longer term average compared to setting 1 - just concerned GK was reading the wrong one.

Cheers

I'm going to ignore Miss Amanda's soapbox ;) but would say that MPG will usually increase as the engine settles but maybe not 20%.

A very uneven idle could suggest that an injector is injecting too much fuel which would cause increased fuel consumption as well as the odd idle.

Worth a shot at asking them to monitor the injection amounts on the computer if they can't think of anything else.

Until they have checked the injectors etc and you are happy I wouldn't touch millers etc.

Thanks for that, I am beginning to think that a good session on their diagnostic machine might throw up a fault as you describe.

I am really overwhelmed with the response from fellow Briskodians and the quality of the advice.

If only the dealers, importers and the manufacturers took even a tiny bit of notice instead of burying their noses in targets and projections then there would REALLY be a lot of "HAPPY DRIVERS"

G.K.

They often raise a hairy eyeball, if you mention Briskoda. They sometimes actually even DO something if you give them some print-outs of correspondence on the forum relating to your fault. This sometimes goes some way to avoiding having to get too insistant with them! :buttkick:

It came with a half tank of diesel and which It consumed by Sunday (down to the red) and I filled it up (£43.00 worth). It is now down to just above half and the mileage is 308....

Hi G.K.

Are you sure the problem is not the trip computer! I assume that the 38mpg figure you are quoting comes from the computer.

You have done 308 miles on less than half a tank - full tank is 12 gallons so lets say you have used half - that is 51mpg. If it really is 38mpg as your computer is saying then you would have used 8 gallons and should be well on the way to a quarter tank not just above half.

As a rule of thumb I reckon my 1.9TDi is doing OK on fuel if I get 150miles out of each quarter tank and generally get 550 or so miles from full to low fuel light. It averages 52mpg (based on fill data not the computer which is usually around 2-3mpg optimistic)

I would check your consumption using fuel fill data to check the computer if I were you!

I agree you should be using brim-to-brim data, but the tank is not uniform in shape so the half-way mark on the gauge doesn't necessarily correspond to the tank being half full, but refers to the fuel level in the tank (which is why the gauge always drops a bit quicker after you pass the half way marker) :D

Chris

Hi G.K.

Are you sure the problem is not the trip computer! I assume that the 38mpg figure you are quoting comes from the computer.

You have done 308 miles on less than half a tank - full tank is 12 gallons so lets say you have used half - that is 51mpg. If it really is 38mpg as your computer is saying then you would have used 8 gallons and should be well on the way to a quarter tank not just above half.

As a rule of thumb I reckon my 1.9TDi is doing OK on fuel if I get 150miles out of each quarter tank and generally get 550 or so miles from full to low fuel light. It averages 52mpg (based on fill data not the computer which is usually around 2-3mpg optimistic)

I would check your consumption using fuel fill data to check the computer if I were you!

Hi, My consumption for the 308 miles was the half tank from the dealer (bearing in mind he kindly clocked up 52 of these miles before he handed over the car) I am not certain whether it was fuelled up before or after the 52 miles.when I got my miserly "half tank". I watched more closely after I refilled at the weekend and also reset the position 1 on the computer. I have also been doing my usual journeys that I have been doing for the last 3 years in the previous octy and the Gauge is dropping at an alarmingly faster rate in all positions. I am going to do a brim to brim test this weekend when time allows. Thanks for the good advice.

G.K.

I agree you should be using brim-to-brim data, but the tank is not uniform in shape so the half-way mark on the gauge doesn't necessarily correspond to the tank being half full, but refers to the fuel level in the tank (which is why the gauge always drops a bit quicker after you pass the half way marker) :D

Chris

Things have come a long way from the rheostat in the tank and an ammeter fuel gauge:D

They can do wonders with electronic calibration these days and adjust for the shape of the tank in the programming of the fuel gauge. They have to do it because the only info the trip computer has about the amount of fuel in the tank comes from the fuel gauge sender unit. If they didn't do a multipoint calibration then the first time you refuelled without filling up, the computer wouldn't know how much you had put in and would not be able to give a realistic "miles left to fill-up" reading.

It is pretty simple for them to do - they will take a sample tank and start adding measured amounts of liquid; they will note the sender unit output for each addition of fuel. (A measure every couple of litres would probably be enough). Then take that data and program it into the fuel gauge readout and hey presto it will convert the sender output into an accurate reading of the volume left in the tank.

Filled up recently with fuel gauge showing just under half - it took 30 litres = 6.5 gallons so it ain't so far off :D

Don't forget if your speedo is overreading even on brim to brim it will not be a true reading.

See police report on other thread 1.8 tested speedo 3.86% over.

Therefore on a tank full speedo may read 500 miles but you will have only travelled 500*.9614=

480.7 miles.

Consumption then drops from 50mpg to 48mpg. Are my maths and assumtions correct?????

I'll throw in another thought.

GK, unless you have been doing brim-to-brim mileage calculations on both cars (previous and current) then you can't really say for sure what economy you were actually getting with either. It is quite possible that the first car's trip computer was very optimistic and the second is more realistic, in which case both may have been getting exactly the same economy, even though the MFDs are telling a totally different story.

The MFD is always optimistic in my Transporter TDI, but by quite varying amounts for different fills (8-22%).

As others have mentioned, unless you do brim-to-brim calculations you don't really know what economy you are actually getting. So you might not be getting worse economy after all.

So for all the people quoting MFD figures, it may give you an unpleasant surprise if you do some brim-to-brim calculations of your actual consumption :(

Ive just replaced my Fabia vRS for a TDI Octavia vRS and im pretty alarmed at the reduction in fuel economey. I know the Octavia is bigger and heavier but with the longer gears and i was expecting it to be pretty similar to the fabia. Ill admit im only on my 2nd tank of fuel in the Octavia but ive only managed to get the mpg over 40 by driving to my grandma's funeral and following the hurse for 20 miles! Im praying things improve so i can get an mpg figure closer to mid 40's.

I'll throw in another thought.

GK, unless you have been doing brim-to-brim mileage calculations on both cars (previous and current) then you can't really say for sure what economy you were actually getting with either. It is quite possible that the first car's trip computer was very optimistic and the second is more realistic, in which case both may have been getting exactly the same economy, even though the MFDs are telling a totally different story.

The MFD is always optimistic in my Transporter TDI, but by quite varying amounts for different fills (8-22%).

As others have mentioned, unless you do brim-to-brim calculations you don't really know what economy you are actually getting. So you might not be getting worse economy after all.

So for all the people quoting MFD figures, it may give you an unpleasant surprise if you do some brim-to-brim calculations of your actual consumption :(

Thanks for that, Yes Brim to brim is my next move.

Last thoughts on the fuel consumption 140bhp 2ltr.

We'd better not say too much , as no one seems to get the published mpg.

Does that mean we should be a higher band for road tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite the opposite. If your not getting as much MPG your paying for more fuel and hence the tax upon it.

Chris