Another Strut Brace thread....

Mikey

Installed a SEAT MOMO strut brace on the furby, my gosh it improves the handling (no other suspension mods). At least you can turn corners at lot more rather than understeering to the incoming traffic :rofl:

I'm such a damn newb lost one of the screws in the bloody process, have to take one from one the other spare ones (2screws on the right and 3 on left marked as [1]). Does this matter or do i have to get a replacement screw....

What I noticed while installing the strut that the engine cover is loose, is there suppose to be a bolt to screw that down [2]?

And also there's a plastic part on left of the picture where it sticks on the bolts, you guys managed to put it back on the bolts after u put the strut on? Or you just left it near it, i think its behind that coolant bottle.

strut.jpg

You need to replace the missing bolts. All three hold on the suspension leg to your car, so they could be classed as important.

The engine cover should slide under the back grommet and then push down at the front. In other words there are no bolts to remove it.

You have also got the wiring routed incorrectly behind the coolant bottle, it should run underneath the brace, thats why you cant clip it back in.

?id=4774462&outx=600&oq=0

?id=4954602&outx=600&oq=0

If you see on the left hand side, no wiring above the brace. Another member made the same mistake when he fitted his brace @ Brunters, mentioning no names. Al you have to do is take off the top bolts and feed it back under.

You need to replace the missing bolts. All three hold on the suspension leg to your car' date=' so they could be classed as important.

The engine cover should slide under the back grommet and then push down at the front. In other words there are no bolts to remove it.

You have also got the wiring routed incorrectly behind the coolant bottle, it should run underneath the brace, thats why you cant clip it back in.

If you see on the left hand side, no wiring above the brace. Another member made the same mistake when he fitted his brace @ Brunters, mentioning no names. Al you have to do is take off the top bolts and feed it back under.[/quote']

Cheers Ross, I was afraid someone might say that, cos its a B****** to do the left side, oh well do it right now! Catch you laters in an hr or two :S

It only took Colin G 15mins to fit his brace is the blistering heat (opps did I give it away who routed the wiring wrong). If it takes you longer your doing something wrong, are you holding the spanner with your feet maybe?

ok now ive lost 2 screws and a grommet in the engine bay. I can see the screws but i need like a telescopic magnet to get to that. Grommet is right at the bottom of the engine under tray.

Im fubarred basically !

i think i need a car lift to jack up the car and find the grommet and whateva else ive lose in there :(!

Screws are safe, they're resting on like a type bowl on the left of engine. Gotta drive slowly till i sort the engine bay out! what an idoit! :(

:thumbdwn:

What I have noticed while in the enigine bay is why is the engine still hot after coming back home from work after 1-2hrs ago?

In my previous petrol car, by this time the engine would've cooled down by now.

It only took Colin G 15mins to fit his brace is the blistering heat (opps did I give it away who routed the wiring wrong). If it takes you longer your doing something wrong, are you holding the spanner with your feet maybe?

:finger::D

Tut send a boy to do a mans job.

Halfrauds to telescopic magents' date=' but that wont help you with the rubber grommet...doh.[/quote']

Went to maplin got a telescopic magnet for

After fitting strut, I've noticed vibrating sounds from the engine bay when the car starts moving. Figured it maybe the airbox rubbing the strut from under as strut sits directly above the box. Checked it out today, indeed it was, got rubbing marks at the top of box.

Has anyone has/had this problem with the SEAT strut?

Mikey/Ross

Did fitting the brace have any effect on ride quality? I've recently fitted Eibach springs all round to my Furby vRS and I'm struggling with the bone-hard ride (looks and handling are brill though!). I imagine the brace will make things even firmer as a bump on one side will more likely be transmitted through the whole car due to the increased shell stiffness. Have either of you considered fitting a lower brace?

P.S. Can you tell me the SEAT part numbers for upper and lower braces?

Thanx guys.

After fitting strut' date=' I've noticed vibrating sounds from the engine bay when the car starts moving. Figured it maybe the airbox rubbing the strut from under as strut sits directly above the box. Checked it out today, indeed it was, got rubbing marks at the top of box.

Has anyone has/had this problem with the SEAT strut?[/quote']

Mine did it too :thumbdwn:

Just apply some force downwards on the top of the airbox until there is a centimeter gap or so - its flexible so should be easy

Mikey/Ross

Did fitting the brace have any effect on ride quality? I've recently fitted Eibach springs all round to my Furby vRS and I'm struggling with the bone-hard ride (looks and handling are brill though!). I imagine the brace will make things even firmer as a bump on one side will more likely be transmitted through the whole car due to the increased shell stiffness. Have either of you considered fitting a lower brace?

P.S. Can you tell me the SEAT part numbers for upper and lower braces?

Thanx guys.

Didnt notice any ride quality difference, I'm not that techincal so better ask Ross about that.

Not thought of fitting a lower brace, cant be @rse really. Not too sure whether SEAT do them from the last time i checked

SEAT part number for upper strut is some where on these threads do a search. Sorry i did write it down some where, but cant find the sheet.

Mine did it too :thumbdwn:

Just apply some force downwards on the top of the airbox until there is a centimeter gap or so - its flexible so should be easy

Hmmm im sure i did that and the thing just bounced back up. Like a darn spring iirc. Will give it a go tmr!

Use the force :cool:

Lots of it :D

I'm weak and useless and dont believe in myself !!! There is no force :D Maybe i shall give up and turn into the dark side and have the power to do anything!

My airbox is about half an inch clear of the brace.The airbox is mounted on rubber bushes and can be tweaked a bit :)

rbspt..... What Eibach springs do you have? The Fabia TDi ones or the specific vRS springs?

Mine even with the Koni dampers isnt harsh, just firm.

Thats why they are a little stiff then.

When i did my suspension (first Fabia vRS on here I believe to be lowered) Eibach only sold the -35mm TDi set. The spring rate on these is a fair bit less than the std Fabia springs but I figured as i was uprating the dampers to Koni adjustables it didnt matter to much. Since then Eibach have launched a specific vRS spring in which the spring rate is increased. Graeme has these on his Yellow vRS and mentioned to me compared to the Fabia TDi springs they are alot stiffer.

Maybe some uprated dampers would help control the springs a little better?