Winters on steelies - to trim or not to trim?

Still think that my Seat ones look pretty good, I stuck the Skoda badges on with Evo Stick Serious Glue, and they appear to have survived into their second winter season :thumbup:

Tidy!

Started looking into the whole winter tyres / wheels thing for our Octavia vRS, hence stumbling across this thread. Probably not until next year now though, as winter availability seems really poor now, and pricing is also through the roof. Understandably I suppose.

Ironically the insurance companies' position on all this is starting to look the bigger stumbling block.

Campbell

Edited by campbell

Thought I ought to come back onto this topic, seeing as I started it a while back. Thanks Johann and Niall, the T5 hubcap idea was a good one and I found a suitable set on eBay. They arrived despite the part-time postal service we now have (any sign of snow, even on the weather forecast, seems to stop the posties coming up our road now) and went on. So far, so good - the car no longer looked like the wheels had been nicked.

But...2 journeys to work later (<100 miles) I only have 2 left. 2 have parted company and headed (presumably) for the hills. I haven't hit any potholes hard, or anything like that, so I'm a little peeved. :'(

The other 2 will be coming off until I work out what's going wrong - any ideas anyone? Maybe I've just got an old, worn set but they didn't look like they'd been battered and beaten up in a previous life.

Thought I ought to come back onto this topic, seeing as I started it a while back. Thanks Johann and Niall, the T5 hubcap idea was a good one and I found a suitable set on eBay. They arrived despite the part-time postal service we now have (any sign of snow, even on the weather forecast, seems to stop the posties coming up our road now) and went on. So far, so good - the car no longer looked like the wheels had been nicked.

But...2 journeys to work later (<100 miles) I only have 2 left. 2 have parted company and headed (presumably) for the hills. I haven't hit any potholes hard, or anything like that, so I'm a little peeved. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

The other 2 will be coming off until I work out what's going wrong - any ideas anyone? Maybe I've just got an old, worn set but they didn't look like they'd been battered and beaten up in a previous life.

Wow. That is bad! Mine are so securely fitted that I have to use the little hook thing in the boot to prise them off. The edges have to be flush with the steel wheel. Also remember to NOT fit the fake silver/grey nut covers from the original wheel and THEN try to fit the caps. My dealer had taken my Spitzbergs off, and fitted the little trim caps again. And since they were silver I did not notice them and tried to fit the caps over them. Doh. The caps then did not fully engage. So took these off and voila the caps sit perfect.

And I did this yesterday and they did not fall off:

And the caps looked like this after that:

163945_467858181323_671901323_6107605_6203101_n.jpg

164454_467858231323_671901323_6107606_2928016_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Pagey: wheel or centre cap? The centre cap fits due to both having 5x112 studs. The wheels? Why that is a whole different kettle of fish with offsets and widths and what not to check. AND would your insurance be happy in an accident finding VW van wheels on your car? That is why I kept things simple and ordered Skoda winter wheels from my dealer with the car.

Just to close the loop on this for people finding this thread in the future:

After member ejstubbs posted here that his T5 centre caps did not fit I did a bit of research and found that a VW T5 in fact uses a 5x120 stud arrangement vs the VW Caddy and Yeti that uses a 5x112 arrangement. So I have to admit I led people up the garden path here! Although my first caps (the ones with the written words VOLKSWAGEN and no VW logo shown in the pictures above) were advertised as from a T5 they were in fact from a Caddy! Hence my own confusion.

So to anyone out there trying to source centre caps do NOT buy T5 cente caps. You have to find the far scarcer Caddy ones.

So to anyone out there trying to source centre caps do NOT buy T5 cente caps. You have to find the far scarcer Caddy ones.

I think the T4 is also 5x112. So thats another option alongside the Caddy. They only differ in that they don't seem to have the small holes around the rim of the cap.

T4Caps.jpg

T4 Caps

vwcaps.jpg

Caddy Caps

I think the T4 is also 5x112. So thats another option alongside the Caddy. They only differ in that they don't seem to have the small holes around the rim of the cap.

You are quite right there Niall. The second ones you show are the ones I got. So set your eBay Auto searches for T4 or Caddy centre caps!

• 7 months later...

T4Caps.jpg

T4 Caps

vwcaps.jpg

Caddy Caps

Hmm I have a T4 but it has 18 inch alloys so no use. I have just ordered some of the caddy caps from my Skoda dealer. I will then be all set for the worst the weather can throw at us

I visited Hever Castle in Kent yesterday and saw a CZ-registered Superb combi in the car park, which had black steel wheels, Conti Wintercontact TS830 in 205/55R16, and Skoda Rif wheel trims. I don't normally like plastic trims, but I thought they looked surprisingly good. As you can guess my wife wondered what on earth I was on about.

I visited Hever Castle in Kent yesterday and saw a CZ-registered Superb combi in the car park, which had black steel wheels, Conti Wintercontact TS830 in 205/55R16, and Skoda Rif wheel trims. I don't normally like plastic trims, but I thought they looked surprisingly good. As you can guess my wife wondered what on earth I was on about.

she just doesn't appreciate good chat does she? :giggle:

As you can guess my wife wondered what on earth I was on about.

:giggle: There are some conversations that are better kept as an "inner monologue"!

On a plus side, if she's uninterested in these things (like my OH) then she's unlikely to notice any mods you do, in my experience..

:thumbup:

:giggle: There are some conversations that are better kept as an "inner monologue"!

On a plus side, if she's uninterested in these things (like my OH) then she's unlikely to notice any mods you do, in my experience..

:thumbup:

I get everything I deserve - having got the Scout stuck last year 'testing the Haldex', she has already said 'if you think winter tyres means you have unlimited licence for taking the car out in the snow for no reason then... well you don't'! She has much appreciated the LED internal lights in the boot and the coming/leaving home headlights feature, but is otherwise oblivious.

Actually, to be fair, she does still get excited when we see another Scout - they are rare sight in the South-East.

Edited by London Les

• 1 year later...

Will these fit in the centres of my steel wheels?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2648

I bought ones on ebay from a t4 but they dont sit flush with the wheel.. :think:

No they won't fit. If you read this whole thread you'll find that T5 wheels are 5x120 and not 5x112 as required. T4 won't fit either as they are 5x100.

No they won't fit. If you read this whole thread you'll find that T5 wheels are 1x120 and not 1x112 as required. T4 won't fit either as they are 1x100.

No they won't fit. If you read this whole thread you'll find that T5 wheels are 1x120 and not 1x112 as required. T4 won't fit either as they are 1x100.

I reckon they are 5 hole 112 pcd but the bolt holes are too long and dont allow the cap to sit against the wheel its self. Its like the T4 has a deeper dish.

I reckon they are 5 hole 112 pcd but the bolt holes are too long and dont allow the cap to sit against the wheel its self. Its like the T4 has a deeper dish.

Have a gander through the first post of this thread and you'll see that a T5 is 5x120:

http://www.briskoda....bers-and-specs/

I never mentioned T5. Unless your talking about the link i posted to the ebay item...? will they fit?

I'm sorry but you posted a link and asked if "these" will fit... click on the link and it shows brand new wheels from a VW Transporter. Which presumably is a T5 since they don't make T4's anymore... And does it matter which Transporter it is? T4 or T5? No, since neither will fit so I think I've answered your original question.

090120122575b.jpg

Winter configuration (above): 205/60 R15 95 H Nokian WR G2 XL on Skoda 'Avantgarda' 6.0Jx15" steel wheels, with 6x15" 'Avantgarda' wheel trims.

Summer configuration (below): 205/60 R15 95 H Dunlop SP SPORT FAST RESPONSE XL on Skoda 'Pyxis' 6.5Jx15" alloy wheels.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Rab-k

I'm sorry but you posted a link and asked if "these" will fit... click on the link and it shows brand new wheels from a VW Transporter. Which presumably is a T5 since they don't make T4's anymore... And does it matter which Transporter it is? T4 or T5? No, since neither will fit so I think I've answered your original question.

Thank you for your help and patience :blush: Since i didn't' know exactly what a T4, T5 and Transported were, it seems its all one in the same. Ignorance is bliss i guess..

• Like 1

You are quite right there Niall. The second ones you show are the ones I got. So set your eBay Auto searches for T4 or Caddy centre caps!

Re reading some of the post you confuse me further. Your recommending T4 or caddy centers. I did say i bought T4 centres and they didn't fit. So i must be left with actual caddy caps or full size trims.

Re reading some of the post you confuse me further. Your recommending T4 or caddy centers. I did say i bought T4 centres and they didn't fit. So i must be left with actual caddy caps or full size trims.

T4 is the transporter made from 1990 to 2003. Think transit size. Caddy is the polo derived small van. You need caddy centres. Like tbe ones i showed you. I just ordered mine from west end. It was easier

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

T4 is the transporter made from 1990 to 2003. Think transit size. Caddy is the polo derived small van. You need caddy centres. Like tbe ones i showed you. I just ordered mine from west end. It was easier

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Being an honorary fifer I seeked out a set of new caddy caps like yours, for £15 plus £4 postage. Pretty good I think.

Pics elsewhere in this thread show a flat disc cap, and that's what I thought I'd bought. But as i said it didn't fit flush to wheel. Will use em as garden party ash trays lol.

S

• Like 1