CAN Gateways

Wardy

When upgrading from a Stream to a Bolero or Columbus, is there an obvious way to tell, once the upgraded headunit is fitted, that the current Gateway revision isn't going to be sufficient?

Think I have a Version D in presently, and have the opportunity to fit a Revision K if needed, but obviously I don't want to do that if it's not necessary. But by the same token I don't want to find I need it when I goto the car and the battery's dead!

Any pearls of wisdom? :)

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wardy

When upgrading from a Stream to a Bolero or Columbus, is there an obvious way to tell, once the upgraded unit is fitted, that the existing Gateway revision isn't going to be sufficient?

Think I have a Version D in presently, and have the opportunity to fit a Revision K if needed, but obviously I don't want to do that if it's not necessary. But by the same token I don't want to find I need it when I goto the car and the battery's dead!

Any pearls of wisdom? :)

Cheers,

Steve

When Carl recoded my new gateway I'm sure the details of the revision where on the VCDS. Also if the gateway is in the same place as mine (behind the glovebox) it only takes about 5 minutes to pop it out to check what revision it is. :thumbup:

Yup, that's all fine. Clear on that stuff. What I'm more interested in is actually being able to tell for certain whether a newer revision gateway is actually required.

With this sort of stuff, I'd usually just install it with the current gateway in place, and see if the battery maintained charge. But given current conditions I don't really want to be mucking about having to re-charge the battery, then having to remove the Bolero while I source the newer gateway etc etc etc :)

Cheers,

Steve

Yup, that's all fine. Clear on that stuff. What I'm more interested in is actually being able to tell for certain whether a newer revision gateway is actually required.

With this sort of stuff, I'd usually just install it with the current gateway in place, and see if the battery maintained charge. But given current conditions I don't really want to be mucking about having to re-charge the battery, then having to remove the Bolero while I source the newer gateway etc etc etc :)

Cheers,

Steve

I sort advice on the mkV gti forum, I don't think there is a reported case of a gateway older than a revision 'K' lasting with the Bolero/Columbus or equivilent retro-fitted, sorry. :S

Steve, to get rid of the Bolero/Columbus battery drain problem, you need to replace the can gateway with revision later than P.

Replacing with a K revision will not solve the head unit/battery drain issue.

As you have VCDS, open the can gateway module, and the part number with revision is displayed on screen. Simple rule -- earlier than P, no use, later is OK! (remember the latest revisions are AA, AB, AC and AD)

Mike

vRSCarl has a Columbus in his car running a revision 'K' with no battery drain issues for him?!?!

You see, this is the issue. There doesn't seem to be concrete info. Hence me wondering if there were any signs exhibited that it was GOING to be a problem. So that I can potentially address it before the battery drains completely :)

I fitted one without problem to a MY06 vRS. I'll check what CAN revision that was, but reckoning it was earlier than K! Pretty sure my current one is a Rev D.

Steve

You see, this is the issue. There doesn't seem to be concrete info. Hence me wondering if there were any signs exhibited that it was GOING to be a problem. So that I can potentially address it before the battery drains completely :)

I fitted one without problem to a MY06 vRS. I'll check what CAN revision that was, but reckoning it was earlier than K! Pretty sure my current one is a Rev D.

Steve

My vRS had a revision 'H' on a 56 plate and iirc MY07.

My original was an F ...flat battery! emoticon-0106-crying.gif Got a Q in its place now! :thumbup:

Until Carl posted his was a K, the next oldest without the flat battery prob was an L.

Not to rain on Carl's parade, but i think the guys on the mkV gti forum figured it out a while ago. :thumbup: But I have absolutely no doubt that if I'm wrong he will let me know about it! :rofl:

Without wanting to big him up myself either... can't have him getting too big-headed now, can we?! :giggle:

Everything documented up until Carl's "K post" said L or above - it was the same story on every RNS / related site - and believe me, I trawled the lot - incl the Russian/Polish sites.

Ok Carl you can wear your proud grin for now - we'll be back to taking the **** later! :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Updating this thread as well, and it would seem they're a few issues at play here. The difference between upgrading to a Bolero or Columbus. And then, if choosing the latter, if you then upgrade the Columbus's firmware.

I've now looked through VCDS logs for my old Octy, MY06 vRS TFSi, May06 registered. That was on a Revision F gateway and I had no issues with battery drain there. And I needed to make no changes to coding for it to work fully.

Current Octy, MY05 Elegance PD140, May05 registered. This is on a Revision E gateway. Having now fitted this today, I've left it connected and setup without swapping gateways or making any coding changes (don't think any coding needs to change anyway). As the car is off the road at present, this seemed like a good opportunity to test the battery drain theory - on a Bolero at least :)

Thanks for listening ;)

Steve

Mike - noted. But you upgraded to a Columbus? And it drained right from the start or only when you upgraded the Columbus firmware to a later revision?

Steve

Cheers. That was as I thought :thumbup:

I hope to be Mike. Just depends if I have a fully working Skoda by then. All things being well and go to plan, I'll be there in the Octy. But even if not I'll pop up in something else :)

Would be good to have a try yes :yes:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

My 2006 Octavia has a revision F running a columbus and I dont seem to have battery drain issues.

Not running the latest firmware so that might be why no drain issues.

I want to upgrade to the latest firmware and V7 maps so I have to upgrade anyway.

Edited by octimark

Yes, that seems to be the issue with the Columbus Mark. Early firmware is OK, but a no-go for the latest upgrade...

Go get an AD :)

On the Bolero, F seems to be the earliest possible. This also fits in and makes sense, as my old vRS had the Rev F and the Bolero went in fine, with no battery issues.

Steve