vrs engine idle

3 years plus and the same issues are there for some, or just occur after a car was running fine,

& Skoda Dealerships & Skoda Special Technical Departments have never heard of it,

& have no idea, because.

**'No fault codes Registered', so no Faults!,  the Computer Says No,  so WE say no problemo.

"They all do that Sir/Madam."  It must be an anomaly!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/208161-post-by-revo-ref-known-14tsi-faults

I think that the hissing / breathing sound is quite normal for the DSG7 and (as members of the Greek VW club reports) works like an expansion / relief valve. It is also stated that if you turn off your engines while the gear shift is in N position and not in P position then that hissing sound will not occur.

Please keep in mine that I am not a mechanic nor a DSG7 owner and I am writing what I am reading in other forums.

Rough idle on cold start is normal. If you hook up live diagnostics (say app from Palmersport) you will see that the ignition is very retarded. This is to heat up the cat as fast as possible.

Try this - switch her on from cold in the morning, let her turn for 3 secs, it will run horrible. Switch off and on again and she will purring at you smoothly. At least my baby does :).

P.S. Have not read the whole thread so sorry if I am missing something

• Like 1

Rough idle on cold start is normal. If you hook up live diagnostics (say app from Palmersport) you will see that the ignition is very retarded. This is to heat up the cat as fast as possible.

Try this - switch her on from cold in the morning, let her turn for 3 secs, it will run horrible. Switch off and on again and she will purring at you smoothly. At least my baby does :).

P.S. Have not read the whole thread so sorry if I am missing something

You are missing the breathing / hissing sound from the DSG7 mechatronic unit right after the engine is shut off. It's like someone in the engine trying to blow a balloon.

Rough idle on cold start is normal

But mine was silky smooth all the time, and slowly got worse. I'm sure a lot of them do it, I don't think it's normal though...it shouldn't be misfiring in my opinion.

Since we are sharing car sounds.. This is on a hot shutdown. .

1.4tsi:

Read my posts #44 and #53. All the other clicking or beeping sounds are relays shutting down. Nothing weird in your video.

Edited by stratosg

But mine was silky smooth all the time, and slowly got worse. I'm sure a lot of them do it, I don't think it's normal though...it shouldn't be misfiring in my opinion.

Have you tried starting her cold, switching off after 3secs and then switching back on straight away?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It should run properly at UK Temperatures with 95-99 RON petrol if started and it goes to 1,100 RPM & drops to 800 RPM in less than 45 seconds.

There should be nothing more required than open the door, get in, fasten your seat belt, insert key and start the car.

Watch the rev counter if you want.

There should be no Rough Idle, engine rocking or the likes.

If there is, it is not running well.

It is just a 1.4 TSI, not some Race Engine, it should run like any other Family Transporter.

It might pull like a diesel when moving, it should not sound like one on starting up.

george

• Like 1

Have you tried starting her cold, switching off after 3secs and then switching back on straight away?

No because I expect it to run nicely as it once did, I'd prefer to get it sorted whilst still under warranty rather than live with a workaround. What if for example the rough idle is the early sign of a much bigger problem? I'd rather get it sorted sooner than have to pay out a bigger bill later when I'll have to pay the bill myself. The car's only two years old it shouldn't start having engine troubles just yet. It all started after it misfired on me at 50mph, somethings up with it.

• Like 1

Sounds like spark plugs gone to me then.

What I suggested is not a workaround, a simple test rather. If your plugs are gone then at cold start-up when ignition is well retarded to facilitate faster catalyst warm up, your "rough idle" will be much more pronounced. When you switch her off and back on gain ignition timing is back to normal (you trick ECU) and you should not have rough running cold idle at all.

However, if she misfires at higher speeds in normal running do get new plugs ASAP and do not risk engine damage due to plugs disintegrating and being ingested by the engine.

Having said that people had misfires with brand new plugs but that was due to tuning issues, bad maps or other things - plenty of stories here.

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 2

Yip,

the Black Air Box is sitting there full of hot air and the sensors get a little confused until some cooler air gets through.

Lots of sensing going on with the 1.4 TSI.

Quite hot under a bonnet sitting in the sun.

george

• Like 1

What I suggested is not a workaround, a simple test rather.

My apologies I miss understood. It's with the garage now but I will surely try it if the problem persists when I get it back. Thanks for the advice.

Yip,

the Black Air Box is sitting there full of hot air and the sensors get a little confused until some cooler air gets through.

Lots of sensing going on with the 1.4 TSI.

Quite hot under a bonnet sitting in the sun.

george

Metal induction kit, so even warmer!

Paradoxically the warmer the temp at start up the better as fuel vaporises better. I cannot remeber what were the intake temps on my DashComdr but not too high really, even when pushing really hard and oil temps getting to 130C. My take on this is simple. Initial rough idle is normal as this os what happens when ignition is heavily retarded in order to heat up the cat as fast as poss. By igniting the air/fuel mix later it intorduces uburnt fuel into the exhaust/cat where burns-have a look at antilag systems, exaggerated version of this. If there are misfires at any other times then it needd to be sorted.

Pretty sure that the slight hissing/humming noise after shutdown is a water pump which circulates water through the turbo for cooling to avoid long term damage??? Something similar to a turbo timer except the engine is not running. 

Pretty sure that the slight hissing/humming noise after shutdown is a water pump which circulates water through the turbo for cooling to avoid long term damage??? Something similar to a turbo timer except the engine is not running. 

Yes, it is, it runs for 15 mins after engine shut down.

I think the hiss people were describing here is something different. It was attributed to mechatronics unit on other forums and here me thinks.

The noise after shut down could be the electrical oil pump which keeps oil running around the engine to prolong the life of the turbo? And mines very rough on idle until the engines warmed up and when I say rough the break peddle is shaking and a I can feel it through my foot as well as the car which has a slight vibration but when I get home it's some as anything

• Like 1

chappers777,  

Did i read right that your Spark Plugs were like only £4 each when you had them changed at a Major Service.?

Are you sure the Correct Spark Plugs were fitted,

Was there a Parts Number on the Invoice you got?

If they were the correct ones, you maybe just got a real bargain,

its a shame your car is not running right though.