What fuels do Costco use.

mikejay

Noticed today at Costco at Haydock they now have a petrol station selling performance fuels, diesel being 1.09!could this possibly be as good as v power?

As said in the other recent Costco Super Unleaded 99 octane thread, if it is the same as Tesco Momentum 99, that is produced by 

Greenergy.

Do Greenergy do an Ultimate Diesel a spec up from Premium Diesel.?

Maybe they can easily they are one of the biggest producers.

Wait, what? We in Liverpool were the first Costco to get a fuel station, and that sells 95 and 97. Are you telling me the Haydock one (where I was born, btw) sells 99 RON? Is this hearsay or have one of you actually seen it? If so I'm definitely interested, as I visit my old mum down that way often enough I could use it for my regular bi-weekly fill up. When they first opened a fuel station, I emailed Costco about their fuels and supplier and they were very cagey. Here's the three questions I sent them, and their reply (if anyone's interested):

1) Do you buy fuel on the spot market / via VOPAC, or do you have a named brand supplier? If so who?

2) Do you buy in branded fuel complete with that brand's additives - i.e. a 'complete' fuel package supply - or do you buy base fuel and add your own additive package? If so can you elaborate on the additives you use?

3) What RON is your super unleaded, as I haven't yet visited your filling station?

The response:

Thank you for your email and I am glad to hear that our Fuel service is being appreciated.

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share the information on Q1 & Q2 as it is a trade secret. However, I can assure you that we regulate the quality of our fuel and regardless of which supplier we purchase the fuel from the additive dosage is always administered to our set standards.

The RON on Super Unleaded is 97. 

Thank you for your email once again.

Kind regards,

Tej Hundal
BUYER

FUEL

The rumour online is that they are supplied by Texaco, which makes sense with the 97 super and 'premium diesel'. Who knows though? It could just as easily be Greenergy (even with 97 RON super) as they - Greenergy - supply the majority of UK fuels. They are also licensed to supply Esso spec fuel which is 95 and 97 with a premium diesel. So who knows? If they have started selling 99 RON though count me in. The Superb 2.0 TSI much prefers 99 RON and I'd be happier paying Costco 107.9 for it than 111.9 to Tesco or 117.9 to Shell for the same thing!

That's strange. Liverpool is definitely 97 RON (well it always has been, and was last time we went, a few weeks ago). I just did a quick Google and a few other people on various forums are talking about the 99 RON in Haydock, with one guy specifically saying it says 99 on the pump. Looks like my mum's overdue a visit so I can check it out! :D I wonder if the fact the Haydock branch is sandwiched between a Shell (V-Power 99) and a Tesco (Momentum 99) was a factor?  Only one way to find out!

1) Do you buy fuel on the spot market / via VOPAC, or do you have a named brand supplier? If so who?

From their last SEC submitted accounts :

"We also enter into variable-priced contracts for some purchases of natural gas, in addition to fuel for our gas stations, on an index basis. "

From their last SEC submitted accounts :

"We also enter into variable-priced contracts for some purchases of natural gas, in addition to fuel for our gas stations, on an index basis. "

Forgive me but what does that tell us? That they have a single supplier with a variable price based on the index price for the day?

Costco Thurrock is 99ron on the pump.

Maybe they use different suppliers in different locations.

Ah-ha, my home is in Thurrock, & I'd happily visit Costco, but isn't there a (paid) membership required?

DC

Ah-ha, my home is in Thurrock, & I'd happily visit Costco, but isn't there a (paid) membership required?

DC

Yes it's either trade or personal membership (subject to specific career types), and is 20-something pounds a year. That's about 10 tanks to pay you back, but we happen to be trade members anyway so it's a pure saving for us.

Forgive me but what does that tell us? That they have a single supplier with a variable price based on the index price for the day?

A little bit more than we knew before perhaps - no need to be so aggressive unnecessarily.

As they are a US listed company there should say in their annual 20F if they hedge the price of the fuel that they sell, This confirms that they don't and have multiple  supply contracts (who with I don't know) and may be over several different national areas but based on on a index price. 

A little bit more than we knew before perhaps - no need to be so aggressive unnecessarily.

As they are a US listed company there should say in their annual 20F if they hedge the price of the fuel that they sell, This confirms that they don't and have multiple supply contracts (who with I don't know) and may be over several different national areas but based on on a index price.

Haha! The written word is a strange thing. A dear friend once told me offence can never be given, only taken... I can assure you they were simply two genuine questions, complete with question marks. I'm entirely unsure how you interpreted them as aggressive but apologies either way.

I was simply pointing out I (perhaps foolishly) didn't know what you meant by index price. I was actually asking whether my interpretation was correct. Again apologies you seem to think I was being unnecessarily aggressive. :D

• Like 2

All you will ever know is you are at least getting the minimum you pay for in Octane or Cetane as posted on the Pump.

You might well get higher.

You pay taxes / duty on the fuel and as such it provides the energy that it should and meets the required standards.

As to when Winter Grade might still be in the Filling station Tanks, Depots or ships at sea or anchored someplace, that is the wholesalers & retailers little secrets.

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

I've had a reply back from Costco, and it's good news.

Thank you for your recent email.

I am pleased to let you know that there are plans to switch our Premium Unleaded from 97 RON to 99 RON. This will be at all of our forecourts, including Liverpool.

The switch is due to take place in the very near future. Our Premium Unleaded fuel will be clearly labelled as 99 RON, once the switch is complete.

I hope that you can continue to use our fuel and enjoy the benefits of being a Costco member.

Kind Regards,

Nigel San Felipe
ICS: Fuel & Photo
Costco Wholesale UK
Home Office

It would seem they now have an exclusive contract with Greenergy, certainly for the super unleaded. This will save us a few quid as I only ever use 99 RON. :thumbup: Hopefully this is useful info for you guys as well.

• Like 1

Exclusive on their part if that means they will never buy from Royal Dutch Shell, but not Greenergy exclusively supplying them.

Greenergy and Royal Dutch Shell share quite a few facilities and establishments.

You can see the formulation of Tesco Momentum 99 that Greenergy produces, but Shells V-Power Nitro + in the UK

is a bit more difficult to get information on, ethenol content etc.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Exclusive on their part if that means they will never buy from Royal Dutch Shell, but not Greenergy exclusively supplying them.

Greenergy and Royal Dutch Shell share quite a few facilities and establishments.

You can see the formulation of Tesco Momentum 99 that Greenergy produces, but Shells V-Power Nitro + in the UK

is a bit more difficult to get information on, ethenol content etc.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99

As far as I know RDS don't resell V-Power, but I may be mistaken. Tesco no longer publish the quality reports on their FPS site, but Greenergy (also mostly owned by Tesco, as it happens) do. You can find the Greenergy monthly fuel quality tests for all their fuels here. As for the specs of Shell versus Tesco, you're right - RDS are much more guarded. I did happen to find spec sheets though, after much digging. As it turns out Tesco have the better MON (more important than RON in the real world) and the ethanol quantity is predictably similar thanks to the Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation.

You can find the Shell spec sheet for V-Power unleaded (2013) here.

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

Well here I am in Costco Haydock as I was passing. A mega pack of micro fibre cloths for the car, and a 99 RON brim on the way out. It's 107.9 for 99 RON here, compared to 112.9 at Tesco and 122.9 at the adjoining Shell. Can't argue with that, especially after a shot of Miller's as well. :thumbup:

Sorry to bump the thread again guys, but this answers some questions. Costco's members' magazine (The Costco Connection) arrived today, and had a three page info-torial on their fuel stations, fuels and additives. I've scanned it into a PDF, including a separate fuel advert from further in the magazine. Cliffnotes: 

There are now half a dozen fuel sites, with plans to convert all suitable sites (i.e. with big enough car parks) in the near future. 

Fuel is delivered as unleaded, premium (super) unleaded, and premium diesel.

All fuels (even base diesel and 95 RON unleaded) have high doses of cleaning/detergent and friction reduction additives.

Every site will soon switch to 99 RON petrol instead of the 97 RON some sites (or just Liverpool?) have at present.

To maintain consistent standards, Costco add their custom over-the-top additive package to their own tanks as the fuel is being delivered, rather than having the fuel company (i.e. Greenergy) do it. This strongly suggests that they have more additives above and beyond that found in typical Greenergy 99 (aka Tesco Momentum 99). It sounds quite similar to Millers Petrol / Diesel Ecomax, but I don't know what they actually use. Maybe in light of this article their fuel buyer might be a bit more friendly in volunteering information. I'm going to email him back.

I hope some of you fellow fuel nerds find this interesting. If anyone has issues downloading the PDF from the hosting site just PM me or bump this thread and I'll make other arrangements. 

Cheers. :thumbup:

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Noticed the fuel was very cheap for diesel today in Chester (1.15 - think the Asda nearby is 1.18). Is anyone aware of what the current Cetene rating is at the pumps?

Edited by Eyesee