Misfire under load

Suffering a misfire under load on my 2016 Fabia 1.2TSi SE L.  The car has done only 8,000 careful miles and misfires while accelerating under load - no problem at idle or while pottering about town. Has anybody else experienced this? Service not due for another 8 months.

Regardless of the Service not being due you had better have this investigated ASP.

Fault codes read, all 4 spark plugs examined, a spark plug failing can cause an ignition coil to fail.

You have a warranty and best use it as if there is misfires you should not be paying for the investigation why.

(out of interest where do you buy your petrol and is it 95 ron unleaded?)

Thanks, Offski. Not straightforward as I live on a Scottish island and my nearest dealer is 100 miles away by land and sea - a visit means an overnight stay! Might run diagnostics through a local garage. I use 97 RON unleaded from a legit Filling Station every time and petrol's OK as my other car is not affected. Thought of spark plug and coil but problem only occurs under quite heavy acceleration so more likely fuel supply?

Actually quite likely spark plug related when noticed under load.

So faults need read, but there might not be enough logged in a cycle to be saved, but you try anyway. 

That can indicate which cylinder there is a misfire in.

Any good garage should be able to remove and inspect all 4 spark plugs and check the gaps if you can not.

As to the legit filling station, is there any chance of moisture (H20) in the tank for the 'Super Unleaded', or is it a busy filling station with plenty buying Super Unleaded.

Maybe the fuel filter will need changing.

(Do you keep your petrol tank as full as possible to reduce condensation in the tank in winter?)

PS

If your car went into limp mode and you needed to call Skoda Assist you would be getting the AA or who ever responding,

so check with SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES if VW have Mobile Technicians coming to the Island to do 'The Fix' on 

Euro 5 TDI's to remove the Defeat Device, if they have then that same 'Trained VW Technician' could check out your vehicle.

Edited by Offski

OK, will check all this, Offski, and let you know. Thanks. The 97 RON petrol pump has relatively few customers and the fuel lies in the underground tank for long periods so that may be an issue. And can't say the tank is full over the winter.

That can be an issue.

How many times since October the Filling Station had the Super Unleaded Tank refilled because Winter Spec Fuel is delivered between October and March.

Then you are well advised to keep the vehicles fuel tank as full as you can during winter, even in these modern times, 

it can still reduce the condensation in a tank that you get with temperature changes.

(Winter spec petrol is less hygroscopic, but then has the filling station had a delivery of winter spec Super Unleaded??)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Blackconcept

Can I ask how the problem of misfire was solved in the end? My 1.2 TSI is doing the very same?  Put it under any load and Cylinder 1 misfires. Only 18,000 on the clock but not in warranty

Problem sorted .... I think. Took the car to a good local garage and described the symptoms. The owner spoke of a number of 'performance' cars coming to him with a misfire and all consumers of the local Super Unleaded fuel from our one Super Unleaded pump. In every case, the spark plugs were faulty. Turns out the local filling station is taking in 95 RON Unleaded then adding it's own 'Octane Booster' additive on site and selling it as 97 RON Super Unleaded. When my spark plugs were removed, the tips had a red hue to match the colour of the additive (see pic). New plugs and back to 95 RON fuel and the problem seems to be sorted.

20170327_171130.jpg

Thanks for the reply guys.  I'm into week two and the problem continues.  I had a refill from a different garage and no change to the problem, so I can eliminate petrol.

The dealer wants to shovel in a new coil + new leads + new spark plugs, which is his standard opening move for this problem.   Cant afford that, so I replaced number 1 lead from coil but unfortunately did not cure the problem.

I cant believe that an iridium plug with 18000 miles could break down.... but it does happen.   As the coil is very good value (generic brand) @ 55 euro, I bought that as well now.

So over the next two days I hope to have generic coil generic leads and NYK irridium plugs all in place and will post a feedback.

^^^ 

You might only have a 2 Year Manufacturers Warranty in Ireland, but Skoda (VW Group) do not get away that easy.

If the OEM Spark Plugs are not fit for purpose as they were with 2010-2012 then 2012-2014 Fabia Twinchargers then there surely is a TPI on a better plug, 

revision on the gap or similar. or the Reports should be going to SKODA CZ. / VW Group.

Contact Skoda Ireland Customer Services and do not leave it to the Dealership if the Service Schedule / Guidelines on the Spark Plugs is 40,000 miles.

Failing spark plugs can cause premature Ignition Coil Failure.

This thread might be of use for those having Fabia Mk3 issues and Dealership or Customer Services Employees say, 

'Never heard of any issues', 'Nothing to worry about',  'Looked but never found anything wrong'.

Remind them they are supposed to sell vehicles 'fit for purpose', ie not ones with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component choice or quality control issues, 

and if they do then the Manufacturer / Warranty needs to sort that out promptly.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/426911-new-car-exchanged-by-skoda-because-of-fault