Auto-hold & brake lights

Mikeworcs

Hey everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all the information I see posted on these forums.  I've lurked for years, and got a lot of useful tips from this forum, and recently created an account.  Secondly, thanks (gizmo) for the information on turning off the tailgate beep through VCDS.  It's one of the very few annoyances I have with the Superb, both in my old MKII and my new L&K MkIII.  Dealer refused to disable it for me, so when I get round to buying VCDS, it'll be the first thing I disable.  And then enabling the button-push-to-close the tailgate as well.

Now... onto my question.  As I say, I have an L&K Superb, and it comes with auto-hold as standard, so a quick press of the foot brake and it comes on, and holds the car without you needing to push the pedal.  Problem (in my mind anyway), is that when this is in operation, the brake lights are on.  I don't know about other people on here, but I don't like sitting in traffic with a sea of bright red brake lights in front of me, so I'm conscious of contributing to it with drivers behind.  So, does anyone know if this can be disabled in VCDS, so that brake lights only come on when the foot brake is pushed, and not when auto-hold operates?

I think that the brake lights go off when stop-start operates with auto-hold, but haven't been able to confirm yet.

As I understand it, auto hold is "pushing" the brake pedal for you by holding the pressure in the brake circuit (via ABS/ESP system), so I think it'll not be very legal to let the brake pedal be pressed without the brake light comming in. VAG would not allow such a tweak to be possible at all. If you don't want to annoy others in traffic (and that's a nice attitude), I'm afraid you'll have to use the hand brake...

Edited by mailme

It is not illegal to be stationary and not have your rear brake light on, the brake lights are on as you apply the brakes to come to a stop. 

Then the 'Auto Hold' holds with the pressure you applied unless the system needs to apply more pressure.

If Alhambra and Passat's can be delivered to customers without brake lights on with Auto Hold then there are no legal issues.

There is the UK Highway code and the advised driver behaviour and not sitting with rear brake lights on.

Obviously if you are last vehicle brake lights are sensible until a vehicle then arrives behind and they are then tail end Charlie.

• Like 1