Paint corrosion

My Fabia Elegance 1.6 TDI on a 10-plate has the small tell tale corrosion signs starting on the tailgate. Gave the paintwork a proper clean, degrease, clay and wax top coat today as it was a great day for being out and playing with cars. Remind me not to use Collinite 915 (absolute sod of a product to use)... Meguiar's carnuba wax is better.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but wondered what other owners are seeing? This is on 85k mile car that gets quite a lot of DIY attention. Granted it's been a hard winter, and our council and roads department have spread more salt than Harry Ramsden! Seems to be isolated to a couple of bits in tailgate, namely rear numberplate illumination lights and one edge of the tailgate.

I'm used to rust (just treated my daughter's Fiat 500 sills and front arches) on 2009 car... and it had a new sump, yes a new sump earlier this year.

Edited by spartacus68

Thanks for the links Offski. :biggrin:

The corrosion at rear number plate lights is a classic case of poor design by using foam gaskets instead of rubber ones allowing moisture to be held there. The Fabia does get particularly dirty at the back, so you'd have thought Skoda would take more care over the seam joints.

Anyway, fired an email off to Skoda to see if the dealer can inspect it. I've maintained car for the last 6 years so that might be an issue, but we'll see.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update on this. Skoda approved repair, so it's in bodyshop just now. I'm a little surprised, as I've been here before with Audi in the past. They check paint depth as a matter of course. If it's been repaired before, then you can forget it. Skoda will make you jump though hoops, but be persistent.

Bodywork is great on the rest of the car, and this is the only rust I've found (normally through a thorough detailing session), so my advice is to check and claim. I need this car to last another couple of years without deteriorating, so want to keep on top of it, as rust is relentless otherwise.

They've given me a Peugeot 106 with a sewing machine for an engine, but plus side is it's 18 plate and just 80 miles on the clock. Nice little infotainment system and 'new car smell' for the rest of the week.

Edited by spartacus68
  • Like 1

"I'm used to rust (just treated my daughter's Fiat 500 sills and front arches) on 2009 car... and it had a new sump, yes a new sump earlier this year".

WOW, I would have thought the sump was the most oil covered part of the car... Full of the stuff inside, smattered in it on the outside. To be replaced due to rust! 

Mind you, you now the acronym... Fix It Again, Tomorrow!

13 minutes ago, mrgf said:

"I'm used to rust (just treated my daughter's Fiat 500 sills and front arches) on 2009 car... and it had a new sump, yes a new sump earlier this year".

WOW, I would have thought the sump was the most oil covered part of the car... Full of the stuff inside, smattered in it on the outside. To be replaced due to rust! 

Mind you, you now the acronym... Fix It Again, Tomorrow!

My first time I needed to replace a steel sump because of rusting was on my wife's G reg ex Jersey rental Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia when it was only 4 years old, my logic was that Ford, and others had changed the type/quality of paint they used, at that time Ford had moved from using black paint to grey paint, also maybe due to newer cars not leaking any oil. I bought a new Ford sump, wiped it with meths which removed all the grey paint and smothered it in black Hammerite gloss paint. I later discovered that I could have saved some money by buying an old black painted sump from a scrappy as these sumps never rusted. Move forward to 2011, the next car I came across that had a steel sump was my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, that one needs scrapping every other year and treated to Hammerite, so it is still happening and also happening to VW Group cars.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily, strange that none of our Fords needed anything other than exhausts and batteries, but give a dog a bad name -----.

My brother USED to swear by Fords... His opinion was everyone had the parts, everyone fixed them. This was mostly down to supply and demand. Most cars, at least in the region, were Fords and they needed lots of servicing/repairing. 

In the 70's and 80's, Skoda had such a bad reputation, along with Lada and Yugo,you would have felt stupid to buy one. I believe it was the Felicia that started to stop that trend. I owned a Lada estate and have nothing but fond memories for it. Always got you where you needed to go, swallowed a huge payload and was cheap to repair. The heater also threw out a great amount of heat in the winter. It even had a crank handle, should you ever need it, although when I first had it, I had to wait a few weeks to insure it and had it parked up off road. It was absolutely covered in snow on a freezing cold winter's day and I went to start it up, after about a month. Fired right off, on the button, so to speak. I doubt I'd get that from any Ford of the day, that was already five or six years old. 

Latest update. Called the body-shop (as they've had it 4 days), so they said corrosion was worse than they thought when they removed the lights, so they've taken photographs and are requesting a new tailgate from Skoda UK. That'll mean new rear screen I expect?

Regards the Fiat 500 I'd mentioned, if Fiat had fitted an inexpensive plastic under-tray - then surface water and road salt wouldn't be an issue. It's deceptive to think the oil in the sump provides a barrier to corrosion. The corrosion is on the outside eating in, so just a matter of time before it causes a leak and potential engine failure.

I think maybe you missed the point about the sumps leaking, what I took from the posting, and my own experience and logic is, an engine with a steel sump pan coupled with that sump pan having nasty "new style/type" paint protection, is going to have rust issues unless the engine above that area has a few oil leaks, that flowing/creeping down oil will give that sump a better chance of survival. Conversely an oil tight engine with crappy paint on the steel sump pan will end up having rusting issues. When the steel sump on my wife's old Fiesta starting weeping ever so slightly I replaced it and the old sump inside had a very nasty range of colours on its lower inner surface where rust had crept though but not quite causing a leak - yet.  Rumour had it back years ago, that Sierras with the Pug DERV engine had a thick coating of plastic - ie plastic dipped on the steel sump pan,this was a brilliant idea, but as time went on and stones/kerbs cracked that protective plastic, water got in and in some cases when the steel rusted through and you had a slight oil leak, if you hit a pothole etc, the bottom of the sump pan could drop away and dump the engine oil, not nice!

I think that most old school garages tended to wipe grease over any nasty looking areas of steel sumps to help them live for another year, I still need to re-Hammerite the sump of my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 86PS engine at service time - or it will be asking for a new sump sooner than later - and that nothing to do with that car being a SEAT every VW Group car using that engine will be having the same issue.

Edit:- I'd think that your new tailgate will come as just that a primed bare tailgate needing painted and everything transferred over from the old one.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1