Oil warning light intermitent

I have a petrol Fabia 2013 and the oil warning light keeps coming on intermittently. I've had the oil pressure checked and it's fine so got the oil pressure sensor replaced but it keeps happening.  The light and warning sound only come on after about 20 mins driving and if I am going below 50 mph.  Has anyone encountered a problem like this?  Any suggestions as to what to do?  Thanks for reading.

Welcome.

What engine do you have?

How many miles has the car done?

When was the Oil & Filter changed last, and what oil was used?

Are you sure the correct oil filter is fitted and not overtightened? 

Is the correct quantity of oil in when it is checked 'at operating temperature?

As mentioned above. What engine is this? The 1.2tsi EA111 (still fitted to the Faba in 2013 - I think) has an oil filter that is easy to overtighten and distort an oil drain back valve integral with the filter which can cause oil drain back and drop of oil pressure.

Edited by bigjohn

Not absolutely sure on this one - this problem went recorded on one of the VW forums (?)

This issue was experienced on a 1.2 TSI.

It was found that when the filter was removed - hidden away and only just in sight was a washer from the previous filter. Apparently this has happened on many occasions.

Worth removing the filter perhaps? - and taking a look. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I recall that a mechanic phoned his Skoda friend in Poland, and immediately got this 'fix' which worked.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone who replied.  as the fault occurred immediately after the oil filter was changed the possibility of the sealing ring from the old filter still being there sounds a very strong possibility. I'm going to pop into my garage in the next couple of days and have them check it.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again for your advice.

As a matter of interest, I notice on the Skoda oil filter that the given tightening torque is 20Nm + . Is that what you guys that change there own oil and filters use on these engines? Or the previously accepted methods of hand tightening?

THANKS GUYS.  I got it sorted.  When we took off the oil filter there it was, the old filter washer, split and sitting underneath the new one.  two minute job.  Thanks to everyone who responded.  It's a weight off my mind, no way you'd sell a car with an oil light on.

Thanks again. 

• 9 months later...

Hello guys . Thanks you for your help , I can’t believe that the mechanic was so idiot and left the old rig inside . 30 seconds job and no problem whatsoever. Thanks to the polish friend :) 

299B2B73-76DF-4B9A-A32D-DADA4582F322.jpeg

• 3 years later...
On 19/05/2018 at 14:39, roottoot said:

Welcome.

What engine do you have?

How many miles has the car done?

When was the Oil & Filter changed last, and what oil was used?

Are you sure the correct oil filter is fitted and not overtightened? 

Is the correct quantity of oil in when it is checked 'at operating temperature?

Engine: BXW

Miles: 280000Km

Oil & Filter service: Before 200Km

Oil Quantity: 4Lt Castrol Edge Full Synthetic LL

With a visual inspection, in my engine the oil level/temperature sensor is not exist.

After oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filer service, the Oil sensor Workshop warning appeared (orange warning), with the key to ON position (no ignition). After some seconds the test replaced by other infos and only the yellow oil logo remained.

If the key goes to OFF and ON again the warning disappeared.

Thanks!!!

• Confused 1

On 06/09/2022 at 15:25, Breezy_Pete said:

@Dimitris Gavriilidis Who did the service, and is it possible that they accidentally, or deliberately set it to be on a variable service schedule instead of fixed interval as it probably was previously if there is no sensor?

The service was done in a garage for all types of cars. I believe that the reset of the oil service was done from the dashboard and not with a diagnostic program.

46 minutes ago, Dimitris Gavriilidis said:

The service was done in a garage for all types of cars. I believe that the reset of the oil service was done from the dashboard and not with a diagnostic program.

In that case, and I'm fairly sure @Breezy_Pete will agree, it should be impossible to set a variable service schedule even using a computer, never mind from the dashboard.

@Dimitris Gavriilidis

Are you just getting a Yellow Oil Can warning light when the car is having the ignition turned on, engine not started, and then it is out,

** Just a light check.**

or are you getting it anytime with the Engine running, and when you are driving.  As the OP was about!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/501241-oil-pressure-warning-light-on

Low oil light / symbol is yellow, or a message .

Red Oil Can is Low Oil Pressure. There can be a message on the screen. 

If the car is set for Fixed Service Intervals then you can reset that still with the indicator stalk buttons. (Now i see you have a 2008 car then with button on dash.)

If the car is set on Variable Servicing you can not.

?

Before it went in for servicing what was it showing as days / km to the service and what is it showing now? 

This was a faulty sensor, & not just a mistake of the Oil Filter too tight, or the seal not removed when the filter changed so 2 seals on. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/330769-yellow-oil-can-flashing-3-times

maxdot.jpg.1b0385dfcf838ca86171dcbf8a59d091.jpg.e59a0f66b20b8a14a80115c664021d67.jpg

post-86161-0-36120700-1445351597.jpg.f735efbfd01a5d6c1719116e80fbf319.jpg.d7a34e205df99f9ae89d599abf87cdb0.jpg

post-86161-0-10501700-1445351632.jpg.6dc12665f201fc49b920f421eb106844.jpg.62fadfa95c88c832c140d626ae618ea0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.54dbc8ca2d75c4a743d2d071518b2119.jpg.ba988d6f1b33532938735da0870bda04.jpg

Edited by roottoot

@Dimitris Gavriilidis

Sorry i never knew what a BXW engine was / is,

i see now what you have from this thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506910-seat-belt-warning

I hope there is not 4 litres of VW 504 00,  Castrol 5w 30 FS III in the engine now.

?

Are you checking the oil level when cold,

then when you should, so  at Normal Operating Temperature after stopping on the flat and after a few minutes. 

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities (1).webp

Edited by roottoot