Oil type in 1.4 TSI 4x4

Hi please help. I have a Kodiaq 1.4TSI DSG 4x4 (2018) on a variable service plan. It says in the manual that the car uses VW508 (0w20) but Skoda customer services say we should use 5w30 oil standard. We don’t need any oil now but just plan to get some in to top up when needed, please can someone advise on what I should buy? Thanks

• Like 1

Your car left the factory with VW 508 00.   So that they can get the MPG / Co2 g/km and WLTP results.  Expensive stuff.

You can use VW 504/507,   but then Skoda UK Customer Services are wrong as to what should be used, but correct as to what can be used.

They are only Communications Managers / call handlers after all, and never asked the right person. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/448200-vw-508-00-oil 

Edited by Offski
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Your car left the factory with VW 508 00.   So that they can get the MPG / Co2 g/km and WLTP results.  Expensive stuff.

You can use VW 504/507,   but then Skoda UK Customer Services are wrong as to what should be used, but correct as to what can be used.

They are only Communications Managers / call handlers after all, and never asked the right person. 

Thanks Offski I’ll pick up some of the Castrol 0w20 from Amazon then. I’m not bothered about the extra cost would rather put the best I can in my Bear. Many thanks again.

Not the best you can IMO,  it will be crap really as Long Life Oil & 0w 20.  

But best not mix oils so use the VW508 until the first Service / Oil, filter change.

You will be told you must use Long Life Oil even for Fixed Servicing, but that could be VW504 / 508.

We will see when Skoda Approved Repairers start using VW508/509 for cars on Pre Paid Service Plans.

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Not the best you can IMO,  it will be crap really as Long Life Oil & 0w 20.  

But best not mix oils so use the VW508 until the first Service / Oil, filter change.

You will be told you must use Long Life Oil even for Fixed Servicing, but that could be VW504 / 508.

We will see when Skoda Approved Repairers start using VW508/509 for cars on Pre Paid Service Plans.

What oil should I buy then? I thought the Castrol 0w20LL (VW508) was the recommended oil brand and type? Please advise as I’m confused with the different types and like you said don’t want to mix oils.

Yes buy that, but it is not special, just expensive.

Then if you own the car and want to keep it then next time you get an oil change consider do you want to use that.

PS

Maybe ask the Dealership staff that supplied the car if they had no Complimentary Litre Bottles for putting in new cars anymore. 

even the 5w 30 FS LL that they used to provide.

Maybe they should be giving out VW508/509 so that Owners know what to get.  If the Dealers staff know that is, or maybe they are as out of touch as Skoda UK Customer Services that already gave you their answer.

Edited by Offski
  • Thanks 1

That's good for 1 litre, £7.00 delivered, even buying 5 of them for an oil change wouldn't be too bad @ £35.

It would be worth asking them how much for a 5 litre container inc. delivery.

Capture.thumb.JPG.047506142352380a19ce415727de544d.JPG

Better priced than the non OEM stuff!

Capture.JPG.4ebb3783300e73cad986a66a3041d6cc.thumb.JPG.ba2e3a03db58e5945ace294d6a22678b.JPG

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Yes it is a very good deal but they’ve not got many available, probably extra delivered to them by accident they’re making a few quid on!! 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity I spoke to Skoda UK to ask for a definitive answer on whether it should be 0W-20 or 5W-30. Unsurprisingly they didn't know and referred me to a dealer.

They are now enquiring with their 'Technical Department' as I type. Here's hoping.

What they did initially suggest was by using this website, Quantum is VAG's own brand name for their OEM oils and fluids.

Type in your reg number in the box in the top left corner...

https://quantumparts.co.uk/

Unfortunately my car isn't recognised. Hopefully you have more luck.

Capture.thumb.JPG.c944517377f08fce1dc8228a8e361e82.JPG

• Like 1

Skoda UK insist on 5W-30.

Clear as mud then :dull:

Capture.thumb.JPG.2d412a2051d88e55d6d2badd5bad2af1.JPG

Most of the rest, for reference...

Capture0.thumb.JPG.6c535e8a8552945fc4616c5f30edb57e.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.3e59a0320401f8f346793ae1e1408f4b.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.2942f39d0a2da2eb958ceddf39387fb8.JPG

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

Skoda UK CS stopped subscribing to the Mystic Meg / Doris Stokes & Derren Brown phone lines and now use the David Davis - Boris Johnson App.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452844-lead-times-on-new-octavia-4-5-months 

??

Do Skoda Dealership employees or Skoda Customer Service staff / communications managers ever pick up and read 'Owners Manuals', 

word for word, typo for typo, conversion errors and all, 

& Service and Maintenance and Consumables Spec / Guidelines / Advice   .....

Edited by Offski

^^^ A perfect recommendation for Fixed Servicing of a TSI if it meets VW502 00. 

Pity VW Group Dealership Techs will not suggest or be allowed to, those that care know that is 'Simply Perfect' for owners that care about their cars engines.

It really is infuriating. Just spoke to a local dealer (DM Keith in York), really useful, the guy on parts walked over to service to check on their system.

He confirmed 5W-30, ideally Castrol Edge, fully synthetic, long life. This is apparently what my car left the factory with.

Just out of curiosity  @atki81, where in the manual did you spot the requirement for 0W-20?

On 18/07/2018 at 14:20, atki81 said:

Hi please help. I have a Kodiaq 1.4TSI DSG 4x4 (2018) on a variable service plan. It says in the manual that the car uses VW508 (0w20) but Skoda customer services say we should use 5w30 oil standard.

All I see in my manual is this...

Capture.JPG.7dc15ebf8e03b9ff7e6171dbd3f0eebd.JPG

Question is, is there a 5W-30 oil that conforms to VW 508.00?

The only oil Opie Oils sell that is VW 508.00 / VW 509.00 approved is 0W-20!

Capture.thumb.JPG.0ad817fdef779649f1bec78345fda38d.JPG

Grrr!

Edited by silver1011

In the Kodiaq manual I got off the Škoda website it shows the following...

690D3E11-86DC-42A8-82F8-B6E5D154320C.jpeg

2947FA56-9710-4566-9E7E-D565EE66CB84.jpeg

Edited by atki81
  • Like 1

It is no Internet Myth,   They started turning out vehicles with VW508/509 from the Factory incase they get tested / re-tested at entry into another country, 

random check ander test conditions...

into the UK as an Example.

Skoda UK seems not that up on what is what and cares not a jot if owners top up with other spec oil.

As it is no need to use VW508 or VW509 with the TSI's or TDI's, and the Manufacturers can not say you did not use the Recommended Oil when the Importers Customer Services are clueless.

Edited by Offski

Right, I came close to losing my temper with Skoda UK this afternoon.

They were adamant the only thing I needed for my 1.4 TSI Kodiaq was 5W-30. Nothing else mattered.

I told them that the oil needed to meet one of VAG's oil spec standards. They said no, I said yes. I asked them to progress my enquiry as a complaint.

Later this afternoon I got a call. A complete u-turn. The grade of oil is irrelevant. As long as it meets VW 508.00 then it's fine.

So that means 0W-20, unless someone knows of a 5W-30 oil that meets VW 508.00.

Still not entirely convinced but by this time I was losing the will to live.

• Like 2

I haven’t used a drop in 13,000 miles so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

If you really want to carry oil with you, then as long as it’s meets the spec then just buy any old oil. halfrauds or Euro Car parts are your friends.

16 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I haven’t used a drop in 13,000 miles so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

If you really want to carry oil with you, then as long as it’s meets the spec then just buy any old oil. halfrauds or Euro Car parts are your friends.

I wouldn't trust their search function - my car (1.4TSI) shows up as 0W40 or 5W40 as being suitable (which complies with VW 502/505).