Roomster white smoke from exhaust, engine knocking leading to engine failure

Bought a 2015 Skoda Roomster 1.6 diesel 8 months ago from main dealer. the vehicle had 19,000 miles still under Skoda warranty. Vehicle given two year service prior to delivery. Two months ago whilst on the motorway the car surged in power and had white smoke from the back of car. After pulling into the safety lane the RAC came out, they thought it may be the turbo, as did the recovery team. The car was taken to main dealer where the care came from.  The following Monday the mechanic phoned to say that  I had overfilled the car with oil, stating that he took out 7.7 litres when the vehicle should only have had 4.3 capacity. The engine and other components would have to be replaced at the cost of almost £9,000, the vehicle only cost £7,000!!!   As  vehicle had a two year service before delivery and I have not added any oil since, then something must have gone wrong with the vehicle.  No computer diagnostic test was carried out at the time and not until I suggested one should be done. Garage says that there was no fault with the turbo and therefore it must be my fault.  They put  fresh oil in car and started engine but there was white smoke and knocking. They later sent oil to be tested, problem is when I wanted to see the oil they couldn't be sure that the oil I was shown actually came from my car, clearly no sample was kept which is surprising seeing that there was a dispute on the cause. Now they want to try to take an oil sample by dismantling the intercooler.  As they put fresh oil in the engine to run diagnostic test then I think that any sample they take would not be the original oil and would be contaminated. They say no, that the oil in the intercooler would be the original oil!!   They want to do this in the same garage using the same mechanic, naturally I am very suspicious of this.  They refused to let me have the results of the diagnostic test saying it was company policy  not to release details, however I did receive an email giving some codes relating to fuel injectors.   

Anyone experienced similar problems with the Roomster?  I would appreciate any advice

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

They need to prove you overfilled the oil. If you tell them you didn't, and they can't prove you did, then it is a genuine warranty claim.

White smoke would suggest unburnt diesel fuel. If the injectors were leaking then chances are diesel fuel has contaminated the engine oil, leading to the engine failure, but also explaining the increased oil levels, the fuel has diluted the oil. Probably resulted in what is commonly known as bore wash.

Either way, it isn't your issue. The dealer can check the oil all they like, it isn't your problem. I'm assuming you've been in contact with Skoda UK to report the unscrupulous actions of your local franchised Skoda retailer?

Given you posted over 3 weeks ago I'm assuming this is resolved now? Fingers crossed you fought back on this one.

• Like 1

Thanks Silver 1011 and Offski for your useful comments.   In reply to the comment made by Silver 1011, No the issue is not resolved, the main dealer is insisting that I must have overfilled the oil which I haven't.  They are also insisting that as the car was under warranty that any checks etc must be carried out by their own mechanics which I think is dodgy as they will no doubt say that they have carried out all the tests and can find no faults.  I have contacted an independent assessor for advice etc and insisted that before the dealer does any checks the assessor must be present.  I firmly believe that the cause lies with the fuel injectors leaking but they deny this.  I think there is a cover up going on and I'm writing everything down.

Thanks again for your help and advice. 

• Like 1

I hope Skoda UK are involved, they should be able to assist with the arbitration between you and their dealer.

You're right to be suspicious of this dealer. Insist to Skoda UK that you want a second opinion from either a different dealer or independent assessor.

Ring Skoda UK and ask them to open a case for you...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The exact same thing has just happened to me.  The Dealership are in the process of taking the engine apart.  They kept an oil sample but I don’t trust that it is a sample from my car.

ive complained to Skoda uk and they rang me yesterday and asked for my wife (name) who owns a Seat... when I asked what for they said it was relating to a Skoda complaint, so I said it was my car and discussed.  They told me they would speak with the Dealership.  

The thing is... the service manager told me THE DAY BEFORE that the aftercare manager had discussed with Skoda uk.  

They also couldn’t possibly have my wife’s name unless they’ve already liaised with the Dealership (seat and Skoda Dealership owned my the same parent company).

They’ve clearly already been talking behind my back!!!!

The Dealership are suggesting that I over filled oil... I’ve never added a drop of oil to the car since I’ve owned it!

• Like 1

I wonder if by chance this is the same dealer involved?

Could be a problem with DPF regen system that injects extra fuel some of which ends up in the oil. That fault killed a lot of Mazda diesels

Edited by xman

6 hours ago, Shiftyp9 said:

The exact same thing has just happened to me.  The Dealership are in the process of taking the engine apart.  They kept an oil sample but I don’t trust that it is a sample from my car.

ive complained to Skoda uk and they rang me yesterday and asked for my wife (name) who owns a Seat... when I asked what for they said it was relating to a Skoda complaint, so I said it was my car and discussed.  They told me they would speak with the Dealership.  

The thing is... the service manager told me THE DAY BEFORE that the aftercare manager had discussed with Skoda uk.  

They also couldn’t possibly have my wife’s name unless they’ve already liaised with the Dealership (seat and Skoda Dealership owned my the same parent company).

They’ve clearly already been talking behind my back!!!!

The Dealership are suggesting that I over filled oil... I’ve never added a drop of oil to the car since I’ve owned it!

Hi Shifty 9

When I first had a problem I spoke with my local garage, not the dealership who are still trying to sort out the problem.  He told me that it would be a battle to prove that I was not at fault and suggested the best way to tackle the issue would be to find an independent assessor. This is what I've done and although it is expensive it is well worth doing as they have a wealth of experience of dealing with dealerships and manufacturers who would try every trick in the book to lay the fault on the customer.  I don't know what part of the country you live but if you google it the there should be list of independent assessors living near to you.

Stick to your guns

Had the same problem with oil samples which they said came from my car but I don't believe them. I've also done a lot of research on the Youtube and as well as DPF problems there are also cases of faulty fuel injectors which may be worth following up.

In my case the dealership say that they contacted Skoda technical but Skoda said that they have no record of similar cases.  However, if the car is out of warranty when the incident happened a lot of cases may have gone unreported as the cost of repairs often outweigh the value of the car and people can't afford the work.

I'll keep you in touch on further developments with my car 

4 minutes ago, Sparky3940 said:

Hi Shifty 9

When I first had a problem I spoke with my local garage, not the dealership who are still trying to sort out the problem.  He told me that it would be a battle to prove that I was not at fault and suggested the best way to tackle the issue would be to find an independent assessor. This is what I've done and although it is expensive it is well worth doing as they have a wealth of experience of dealing with dealerships and manufacturers who would try every trick in the book to lay the fault on the customer.  I don't know what part of the country you live but if you google it the there should be list of independent assessors living near to you.

Stick to your guns

Had the same problem with oil samples which they said came from my car but I don't believe them. I've also done a lot of research on the Youtube and as well as DPF problems there are also cases of faulty fuel injectors which may be worth following up.

In my case the dealership say that they contacted Skoda technical but Skoda said that they have no record of similar cases.  However, if the car is out of warranty when the incident happened a lot of cases may have gone unreported as the cost of repairs often outweigh the value of the car and people can't afford the work.

I'll keep you in touch on further developments with my car 

Thanks sparky

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

after lots of investigations and photos of engine parts being given to Skoda uk/factory, I’ve just had a call to say it’s being passed to the Emmisions Team.

what that means going forward I have no idea (except they admit it’s linked to the emmisions scandle).

anyone hazard a guess as to what will happen?

That's practically an acceptance that the fault lies with something they've done, and not something you've done.

This has gone on long enough, I'd be asking for them to get a move on and fit a new engine. They can mess around passing it to different teams after they've rectified their mistake and got you back in your car. Oh, and refunded you the insurance costs you've incurred to drive around in their courtesy car.

Who's David Burdon by the way, what's his involvement in all of this? I hope he isn't linked to the dealer or Skoda UK, very unprofessional.

The dealership called me to say that Skoda are going to replace the engine for free.

however, the dealership want the cost of the initial investigation to be paid by me (£700).  Clearly Skoda UK have told the dealership that they won’t pay for that.  I’m going to pay the money but then try to recover from Skoda UK

• Like 1

Appalling behavior by the dealer - probable attempted fraud regarding the original oil samples sent for analysis, and then they cap it off by insisting you pay for the investigation that proved it was an injector fault - breathtaking! I sincerely hope that you take this case to the County Court - difficult to see how you wouldn't win this. My money is on SUK settling out of court once you file the case.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 22/10/2018 at 20:33, Shiftyp9 said:

The dealership called me to say that Skoda are going to replace the engine for free.

however, the dealership want the cost of the initial investigation to be paid by me (£700).  Clearly Skoda UK have told the dealership that they won’t pay for that.  I’m going to pay the money but then try to recover from Skoda UK

I hope u didn't pay, as soon as u pay u won't get it back. Skoda uk is responsible. I am goi g through a similar issue,one skoda dealer accusing me of overfilling oil, and when took cr to another skoda they r saying that they were hardly any oil left. Broken injector and glow plug. They are repairing under skoda emission trust warranty. And investigating an engine oil too, as they think its been contaminated