Where do you buy your 508/509 spec oil from ?

I know this has been discussed before and one kind member put a link last year to genuine VW spec oil on E Bay at £9 a litre. That listing has now finished and the cheapest oil I can now find is a Castrol equivalent at £14 per litre.

There is a 5 litre container listed at £45, which is a good price if you want that much, but unfortunately it's past its sell by date anyway.

So, does anyone have a cheap source of genuine VW 508/509  oil, or its equivalent ??

There have been a few threads on this, it's assumed that petrol engined Kodiaq's leave the factory full of 0W-20 VW 508.00 in order to satisfy the more stringent emissions requirements / fuel economy claims.

But, once it hits the dealers for it's regular servicing, they simply use 5W-30 VW 507.00, a much better all-round oil.

Genuine VW 508.00 isn't readily available, and as far as I'm aware isn't available under VAG's Quantum brand.

It's currently about £10 more for 5 litres than VW 507.00...

image.thumb.png.fee10a23a43200a5f89bf8d50f8b6087.png

I'll happily sacrifice fuel economy for component longevity.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info.

I phoned the guy who's selling the oil in your link yesterday. The oil is past its use by date, hence he's reduced the price from £45.

I don't know whether being past its use by date is significant or not.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

There have been a few threads on this, it's assumed that petrol engined Kodiaq's leave the factory full of 0W-20 VW 508.00 in order to satisfy the more stringent emissions requirements / fuel economy claims.

But, once it hits the dealers for it's regular servicing, they simply use 5W-30 VW 507.00, a much better all-round oil.

Genuine VW 508.00 isn't readily available, and as far as I'm aware isn't available under VAG's Quantum brand.

It's currently about £10 more for 5 litres than VW 507.00...

image.thumb.png.fee10a23a43200a5f89bf8d50f8b6087.png

I'll happily sacrifice fuel economy for component longevity.

Interesting, My 245 runs on 508.00 oil. So if the dealer is sticking 507.00 in the engine is this another warranty get out clause " I'm Sorry Sir, I'm afraid you've used the wrong oil "  Not covered by the warranty .........

• Like 1

I have no evidence that dealers are substituting 508 for 507, it's just my hunch, supported by the fact VAG published a document advocating the use of 507 as a suitable substitute for 508...

You'll notice in the thread above that when pressing Skoda UK on which oil to use in my 1.4 TSI, they really didn't have a clue, but eventually conceded that I should use 507, despite the manual saying 508 only.

I suspect the introduction of GPF's will play a part in this, such as on the latest WLTP approved 1.5 TSI and 190PS 2.0 TSI engines, where the viscosity of the oil is more important.

Does the 245PS 2.0 TSI in the vRS have a GPF?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, olderman1 said:

Thanks for that info.

I phoned the guy who's selling the oil in your link yesterday. The oil is past its use by date, hence he's reduced the price from £45.

I don't know whether being past its use by date is significant or not.

Yes, I'd say so. Oil does degrade, the speed of which is dependant on the storage conditions.

Does he mention the expiry date in his eBay listing? A bit misleading if not.

The lack of availability of genuine VAG 508 oil online, and the fact that what is out there has been sat around on the shelf for some time only supports my theory that Skoda franchised dealers are perhaps using the same VW 507.00 oil they've used for years on some models / engines that left the factory on 508.

My MY18 1.4 TSI 150PS Kodiaq is due it's first service in a few hundred miles, I'll make a point of asking which oil they're using.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Since when did the vRS have a petrol engine...? Or are you not referring to the Kodiaq here?

Edited by WiggosSideburns

7 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I have no evidence that dealers are substituting 508 for 507, it's just my hunch, supported by the fact VAG published a document advocating the use of 507 as a suitable substitute for 508...

You'll notice in the thread above that when pressing Skoda UK on which oil to use in my 1.4 TSI, they really didn't have a clue, but eventually conceded that I should use 507, despite the manual saying 508 only.

I suspect the introduction of GPF's will play a part in this, such as on the latest WLTP approved 1.5 TSI and 190PS 2.0 TSI engines, where the viscosity of the oil is more important.

My 19 plate 245 has the GPF     :nod:

• Like 1

That'll probably be why your Octavia needs the right 508 oil, and in this instance 507 would not be a suitable alternative.

My 1.4 TSI doesn't have  GPF.

With that in mind, this should at least support the need for dealers to stock 508, as much as 507, so hopefully that means Quantum will look to introduce it too, and we can get back to enjoying paying £25-£30 for 5 litres of it :D

21 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Since when did the vRS have a petrol engine...? Or are you not referring to the Kodiaq here?

I was answering the previous post, Auric Goldfinger has a petrol Octavia vRS.

Just for clarity, I have a 2.0 tsi Kodiaq, so my original post referred to that, especially as this is the Kodiaq dept. :biggrin:

The use by date of the oil in the e bay link was last January, and no, that certainly wasn't mentioned in the original ad.

Obviously oil degrades when in use in an engine, but I had no idea that any significant degradation occurred whilst still in its sealed container. I would probably have bought the stuff at that price, but fortunately I'd read an article just prior to seeing that sale that mentioned oil having a use by date.

I wonder how many people get caught out with items that are past their sell by date when they buy on line ?

VW 504 / 507 is not going to affect the GPF fitted to TSI's.

VW Group had to use the VW 508 / 509 in the TSI's & TDI's to get the WLTP / RDE results and then the 'restesting' that can happen as new vehicles enter other countries.

(saves the cheating they might have done previously under the old testing with TDI's & diesel in the engine oil to get Test Results.)

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

• Like 1

The way I read the above is that the top four engines can use 508.00 or 504.00 as an option, the 1.8 and 20.L 169kW TSI uses only 504.00 and the  * 180kW TSI needs 508/00 only.

*  Clause " a " doesn't apply to the 2.0L/180kW TSI

7 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

As very often happens on forums, this is now sliding away from the OP and is getting confusing.

Whilst I do agree that sometimes threads go slightly off topic It doesn't give any encouragement  when dealer service departments don't know which oil to put the their engines, even when it's written in the manuals supplied with the car.

Whilst I agree that it's a bad show if your dealer doesn't know which oil your car takes, that should be a different topic.

Myself and my dealer both know what oil I should be using, at least until my first service. I just want to know where I can purchase said oil at a realistic price (read cheap).

• Haha 1

When you find out come back and tell us please.

As it is there is plenty selling on Ebay, Amazon and at Local Motor Factors, just choose the price you want to pay to get VW 508 / 509 0w20 FS IV

Dealership prices are crazy and some are actually filling the engine oil from 1 litre bottles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/464948-inspection-is-9400mi-or-297-days-but-oil-change-is-1300mi-or-30-days/?page=2

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 11.40.38.png

Edited by Skoffski

1 hour ago, olderman1 said:

As very often happens on forums, this is now sliding away from the OP and is getting confusing.

35 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

Whilst I agree that it's a bad show if your dealer doesn't know which oil your car takes, that should be a different topic.

Myself and my dealer both know what oil I should be using, at least until my first service. I just want to know where I can purchase said oil at a realistic price (read cheap).

A tad harsh, especially given that you got the answer to your original question after the first reply. You pays your money and takes your chance.

For a definitive answer, ring your local Skoda retailer, or get in contact with Skoda UK, quoting your VIN. Internet forums will get you a variety of options depending on a persons own experience / opinion.

If the oil is for top-ups then I'd avoid oil that is close, or has passed its expiry date. If you're looking to do a DIY oil change and using all of it immediately I'd have no qualms using oil only a few months past the expiry date. You'll see from the other thread I linked to earlier that I too was unaware of the expiry dates on oil. Every day is a school day.

Typing VW 508.00 into eBay, Amazon or Google will get you plenty of choices, you can then filter them by lowest price.

The reality here is that VW 508.00 isn't as common as other VAG-approved grades and is therefore harder to find at a cheap price. As also mentioned, Quantum (the oil your Skoda dealership uses) doesn't seem to offer 508 yet either, so your choices are limited to VW own-branded, or the premium regular brands, Castrol etc.

In other words VW 508.00 and 'cheap' aren't two terms that go together, yet.

• Like 1

& look for trusted sellers, 

because by now 'dodgy characters' will have sussed that there is money to be make with 'hooky oil with these sorts of purchase prices.

They might just want some of the 'cash money' that 'Approved Repairers / Main Stealers' are in line to get with their ridiculous profit margins.

• Thanks 1

Dear Mr silver1011, unbeknown to you or anyone else here, I have a condition that causes me to inhabit a slightly different world and to see things through different eyes than you do. So whilst I rarely set out to be rude or abrupt, what I wrote, that you describe as a tad harsh, is normal for me. 

I asked a succinct question regarding any cheap places to purchase a particular oil, and in my world I would hope for a short, succinct answer. Without being rude, I have no interest in anything other than an answer to the exact question I originally asked.

Also in my mind, I received no such answer until your last comment saying that "VW 508.00 and cheap are not terms that go together". That's all I needed to hear, as now I know that I am capable of picking the bones out of what is available online.

I make no apologies for my condition, it is what it is and it doesn't make me weird, just different. So bearing that in mind, and in the same vein as you finding my comments a tad harsh, I find some of yours a tad patronising. I guess that's because we inhabit to different worlds :dry:.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@olderman1

So how much did your local dealership want for 1 litre of VW508 /509?

Last August just after I purchased my car, I went to my dealer to get a litre for topping up as I was taking the car to France. They did not have anything that wasn't bulk in stock, and what they had in bulk wasn't VW508.00. The very affable stores manager did an internet check for me for an equivalent, and found that Eurocarparts did a Petronas compatible oil. I went there and bought a litre, which from memory was £12.

• Like 1