Mechatronic Unit 2013 YETI DSG

Wiganyeti

Does anyone have any suggestions

I have a 2013 petrol automatic DSG Yeti  with just under 60,000 miles on the clock As I was turning off a quiet road into the entrance of Leigh hospital  I suddenly lost all drive,

the car would not go forward or backwards. The engine would run .

I called out the Skoda / AA breakdown Assistance. The guy determined it was a clutch /  gearbox problem and it would need to go in to a Skoda dealer. They sent out a low loader  and took the car  to Skoda Bolton. I have just been informed by Skoda Bolton that the car needs a new Mechatronic Unit and it would cost 1,923 pounds Sterling (Sorry my keyboard has decided it does not want to print the Pound sign)

I have spoken to customer service  at Skoda they said there was nothing they could do but he would spreak  to Skoda Bolton to see if there was anything they could do to assist.  He came back and said that they said they were not willing to make any contribution. I just don’t think it is acceptable that  a gearbox should fail on a car with under 60,000 miles on the clock.

I have sung   the praises of the Yeti many times and have said it was the best car I have ever had.

Am I being unreasonable and unrealistic in thinking that Skoda should have some obligation to assist with this repair.

I appreciate any  input  you may have 

Thanks

David

If you look down the page you will see the DSG failing at 34,000 miles thread.

Then if you do a search you will see DQ200's that have failed in various models and some newer than your 2013 Yeti.

?

Has your DSG had Service Campaign '34F5' carried out, were you told about that as it is for some 2013-2015 DQ200 DSG because of failure of the MCU's.

Introduced in 2017.

41 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Has your DSG had Service Campaign '34F5' carried out, were you told about that as it is for some 2013-2015 DQ200 DSG because of failure of the MCU's.

Introduced in 2017.

Introduced in 2017? Not sure what was changed then that caused MCU failures?

• Confused 1

Okay, I thought you meant there was a change to the box in 2017. I had a 2012 1.2 DSG and changed to a new 1.2 DSG in 2017. Latest box is certainly smoother than 2012 version and is slicker in power off/on situations like entering a roundabout.

5 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

?

Do 2019 & even the 2020 1.6 TDI SCR 115ps fwd Karoq / Octavia not still have DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG's.

My understanding is that my 1.4 Superb does

Hi Guys 

Thanks for your repliesI have decided to go ahead and have a new Mechatronics unit fitted  it was obvious neither Skoda or the Bolton dealer was going to make any contribution towards the cost and I needed to sort out a car. It is unfortunate that I have gone from thinking and telling others that the Yeti was the best car I have ever had. I feel very aggrieved that a car that had only done 56,000 miles would need such a major repair and can no longer be considered as the best car I have ever had.

I think the DSG gear box in a petrol car is a dry clutch and as such has no maintenance requirements therefore I would say the failure can only be down to poor design materials  or assembly.

Just a word of caution to any body els who  has the same gearbox, when mine failed I was going very slowly turning off a quiet road into a hospital entrance  when the car lost total  drive I do not know what would have happened if it failed in the fast lane of a motorway.

Thanks Again

David

@Wiganyeti

Should your car have had service campaign '34H5' or not, or has it had it carried out.

Skoda UK will always say they will not contribute as the first and sometimes 2nd response, but that does not mean they will not eventually, because they do.

Reason being as you said above.

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 5.19.42 PM.png

Edited by Skoffski

Hi Sorry I did mean to say that my car had never had the DSG 34H5 service campaign either offered or carried out.

I did put my cars VIN number into the  Skoda recall action sheet and it said there had never been any need to recall my car.

David

52 minutes ago, Wiganyeti said:

I think the DSG gear box in a petrol car is a dry clutch and as such has no maintenance requirements therefore I would say the failure can only be down to poor design materials  or assembly.

But your problem is with the mechatronics unit..... the clutch and gearbox themselves are presumably fine.  The mechatronics unit is just the bit that actuates the clutches and the gear changes,  and its problems would not necessarily be connected with service/maintenance (or lack of it) to the clutches & gearbox.

@Wiganyeti

I have never known the VIN checker to show '34H5' as being required even on cars needing that Service Campaign, 

Not the old checker or the current one.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

It does show '34F7' on 2009-2012 DQ200's when outstanding sometimes, but can even show as not required when actually it is.

It needs to be a Dealership that checks or Skoda Customer Services.

Did you ask them to check?

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 7.31.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 7.32.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 7.32.47 PM.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1