Scored rear brake discs

Jwhitzy

Hi newbie here!

Took delivery of my wonderful kamiq last week! I am now 189 miles in and I have noticed my brake discs are scored on the rear. See photos, now I know the car is still new and maybe I should see how I go over the next 6000 miles as I know brake pads and discs are only covered from new for the first 6000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. Has anyone come across this even so with how the new the car is?

IMG_20200202_145931.jpg

IMG_20200202_145919.jpg

• Sad 1

Hi, that's truly dreadful.

It will only get worse, in my opinion, so get it back to your dealer now and register your displeasure and concern.

Maybe email the photos to Skoda UK too, ask them if they think this is OK?

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

As per Wino get it booked in with the local Dealer and ask them to fit new discs under warranty or you will reject under the 30 day return policy.

Yeah, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scored brakes are fairly common on Skodas.

My Kodiaq is on its third set. Around 10,000 miles between new rear discs and pads under warranty.

No arguments from my dealer. The original pads were made of cheese. Third set looks fine.

Your marks at only 189 miles are surprising.  Have you caught some grit under the pads?

Have you given the brakes a good hammering to take any “shine” off them?

And I mean a REAL work out where you activate the ABS from high speed. 

• 3 weeks later...

That car appears to have spent some time out in the open, probably on the salty docks with prolonged periods of wind.

Was it a factory order, a car bought from stock, or one from off the forecourt?

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2020 at 05:07, silver1011 said:

That car appears to have spent some time out in the open, probably on the salty docks with prolonged periods of wind.

Was it a factory order, a car bought from stock, or one from off the forecourt?

It is a factory order. It left Bremhaven on June 8th arrived In Aus on July 24th at 4am after delayed sitting waiting at Panama Canal for 7 days.

Was delivered to dealer on Tuesday and I picked it up on Friday. Has 23km on it in the yard and drove it 9km home and has been in the garage ever since. I noticed rust on discs at the yard but expected it after boat trip and was fitting mudflaps when I noticed the grooves, which are NOT like unbedded discs at all. This is my 4th VAG car in 10 years and none have been like this. Havent even had to change pads in any of the others and discs have been perfect all the way through

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 02/02/2020 at 17:49, Jwhitzy said:

Hi newbie here!

Took delivery of my wonderful kamiq last week! I am now 189 miles in and I have noticed my brake discs are scored on the rear. See photos, now I know the car is still new and maybe I should see how I go over the next 6000 miles as I know brake pads and discs are only covered from new for the first 6000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. Has anyone come across this even so with how the new the car is?

IMG_20200202_145931.jpg

IMG_20200202_145919.jpg

Hi,

what was the outcome?

mine has the same only after 500miles 

New Kamiq collected 30 November....new dealer stock...about 50 miles on clock....now 500 miles...uneven  variable deep scores on rear discs.

Front disks clean, silver and perfectly smooth.

Only checked due to this thread!

Visiting dealer tomorrow.

Will report back!

PS. In workshop next week (20th) for inspection.

Edited 2 minutes ago by EJB

• 2 weeks later...

Rear brake discs considered OK and not yet bedded in after a workshop inspection.

Will wait and see what happens in the next few months and a few more miles.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Bear just got new rears under warranty.  Under 12,000 miles in 21 months. 

No argument. It’s a well known problem of poor disc and pad material at times.

Same as previous car which had 2 replacement sets till proper materials were fitted

A15EC2FE-3607-4B4B-9191-C9066E0A94ED.jpeg

1740EB89-EEDF-4098-A373-E39EBC2983A4.jpeg

937AC77B-DFE6-46A5-88D1-F5B2240E38F5.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1