Rear Disc thickness on a LE 1.5 Aus version

Exkiwi

Can some one tell me the rear brake disc thickness on an Kamiq LE 1.5

I have a problem with a worn one nad want to know what it should be

The car has 18"Crater mags  so I presume they will be bigger discs than the 14 and 15's have

I reckon they are 12mm thick and one of mine is 11.34

This is on a 1 DAY OLD CAR that has done 32 kilometers

Something is weird so back to the Dealers tomorrow

20210806_151531[1].jpg

20210806_151601[1].jpg

20210806_151611[1].jpg

According to Autodoc its 9mm with a min of 7mm. You should be able to read the Min value printed on the hub. New to Min is normally 2mm for most discs.

My Superb has 10mm discs. Kamiq is a featherweight in comparison.

Just looks as it you need to do a bit more braking to clean up the rust from being stood around during shipping and at importer/dealer. It should clean up ok with a bit of heavier braking.

Part no on photo is 2Q0 615 601 which is a 9mm disc

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/2q0615601h

Edited by xman

2 minutes ago, xman said:

According to Autodoc its 9mm with a min of 7mm. You should be able to read the Min value printed on the hub. New to Min is normally 2mm for most discs.

My Superb has 10mm discs. Kamiq is a featherweight in comparison.

Just looks as it you need to do a bit more braking to clean up the rust from being stood around during shipping and at importer/dealer. It should clean up ok with a bit of heavier braking.

No its not I have the workshop manuals from ERWIN and for 14  and 15 in wheels it is 9. These discs Ive measured with a vernier and they are at least 11.75 mm and NO, more braking wont fix them and they are GROOVED like 40,000km discs, when the front one's which do most of the braking are shiny smooth. As are the 4 discs on my 2 year old Tiguan with 10,000km on it. They are stuffed as far as Im concerned. I paid for a NEW car not one with grooved brake discs and stuffed pads.

• Like 1

The concentric grooving looks like machining marks, the same as on my Superb when they were new. Skoda have a reputation here on Briskoda for low grade rear discs if you do a search.

Good luck with your visit to the dealer.

1 minute ago, xman said:

The concentric grooving looks like machining marks, the same as on my Superb when they were new. Skoda have a reputation here on Briskoda for low grade rear discs if you do a search.

Good luck with your visit to the dealer.

The grooves are not even across the faces and on one you can see a wide band of rust where pad is simply not touching the disc at all.

They look like the are used ones and someone borrowed mine to replace some one elses and forgot to replace mine.

The hubs would be rusty and the laser etching wouldn't be so clear and clean if they were "used discs".

IMO they are not yet bedded in. You've only done 32km! Disc/pad manufacturers recommend  around 300km to bed in. Longer if you are a light foot braker.

https://www.ferodo.co.uk/blog/give-brakes-a-break.html

The problem is they have been stood and rusted during the journey from factory to you. Try some heavy braking to clean them up, thats what the dealer will do.

BTW I doubt a larger wheel means larger discs are fitted.

Edited by xman

1 minute ago, xman said:

The hubs would be rusty and the laser etching wouldn't be so clear and clean if they were "used discs".

IMO they are not yet bedded in. You've only done 32km! Disc/pad manufacturers recommend  around 300km to bed in. Longer if you are a light foot braker.

https://www.ferodo.co.uk/blog/give-brakes-a-break.html 

Ok then tell me this    If the discs on my TIguan are as bright and smooth as glass after 10,000km and the fronts on the Kamiq are also as smooth as glass why do the rears look like old ones with grooves that you can catch your fingernails on and patches that the pad isnt even touching. Will post dealers response tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Exkiwi said:

Ok then tell me this    If the discs on my TIguan are as bright and smooth as glass after 10,000km and the fronts on the Kamiq are also as smooth as glass why do the rears look like old ones with grooves that you can catch your fingernails on and patches that the pad isnt even touching. Will post dealers response tomorrow

At a guess, its because your Tiguan has done 10,000 km with plenty of proper braking. And in the case of the Kamiq, because the fronts do 90% of the braking, possibly more if you are carefully running in and not done any seriously quick stopping and Skoka OE front discs are better quality than their OE rear discs as I have stated they have a bad reputation here on Briskoda.

Let us know what the dealer says. Good luck.

Truth of the matter is the discs have been scored by the pads or something between the pads and discs.

If the car was in for a service a tech might well remark on the scored discs.

The Dealership might well just want to replace the pads.

DSCN5606.JPG

DSCN5595.JPG

Discs which had 2,000 miles that never really got used for braking because on an ev so not needed, but were still travelled on salted winter roads.

Just the protective coating cleared off by pads that are softer than the discs.

Not VW Group fitment obviously where pads last longer than discs.

PS

We do not know how far the OP's car has been driven, just how far he drove.

The car could have had an Italian Tune up pre PDI to clean the corrosion and the resetting of 'Transit Mode' and then a few km of the expected delivery miles / km and getting home after the reset.

Edited by e-Roottoot

29 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Discs which had 2,000 miles that never really got used for braking because on an ev so not needed, but were still travelled on salted winter roads.

Just the protective coating cleared off by pads that are softer than the discs.

Not VW Group fitment obviously where pads last longer than discs.

PS

We do not know how far the OP's car has been driven, just how far he drove.

The car could have had an Italian Tune up pre PDI to clean the corrosion and the resetting of 'Transit Mode' and then a few km of the expected delivery miles / km and getting home after the reset.

Car had been in transit mode up until got to dealers as they reset it  I was told which is 14mph roughly   Discs dont look like the Superb ones as grooves are not even at all and look like my old Falcons looked like after I had caned it and warped the discs  (easy to do on them) 

Odo has 23 km on it at delivery  Will find out in the morning as 9pm here ATM

• Like 1

As long as the photos are taken by the owners and the Dealership can take ones and log the concerns so that there is no dispute in the future over where things were from the off.

They can dismiss as 'all normal'  they are all like that, or 'we have never seen that before', but time will tell if there are issues with scored discs after 'Driven in' .

The owners manual has the advice on running in / driving in new cars.

In my opinion they are not score marks but rust and protection coat residue not quite yet removed from the machined disc. A photo cannot really tell all.

A car shipped across the Atlantic through the Panama canal and across the Pacific is likely to pick up some surface rust on the discs, the protection coating having been removed (mostly but not all) on the drive out of the factory to the transporter/train/ ship. Takes more than 9km to remove that rust/remaining protection off the rears as they are hardly used in normal driving.

My experience is the rear discs on the latest Skodas will rust up even while stood within days in a dry locked garage, presumably from humidity from outside.

The OP may find a lot of the rust has mysteriously gone by the time they drive back to the dealer if he has to make a sharp stop along the route.

Edited by xman

Well why is there wide patches of rust not worn off where the pad should be touching the  disc.  I know what machining marks are like and they are nowhere near as rough as these ones which are uneven variable spaced ridges. Yes my Passat discs used to have a light coating of rust on them the day after I washed it but wore off smooth in first couple of brake applications. I live a km from the coast so rust is a normal thing here and we know about it .

If the disks were smooth with machine marks I wouldnt worry but these look like they have uneven pads in them. One would expect new pads to wipe the whole area of where they touch off evenly and leave the disc nic and clean and just at the most have the machine marks and not obvious ridges on them

• Like 1

A light rub with wire wool or a scouring pad could remove any coating residue or rusty stour very easily.

The OP's finger nails can tell the depth of any scoring if that is what the deeper rings are.   

Just the same old as any cars that sit bunkered / stored or travel overseas.     There are thousands sitting now waiting for chips.

Mine was built on 18th May, shipped on June 7th or 8th   Arrived in port 24th July  Complianced  last week and delivered to dealer on Tuesday.

As said 3 prev VW werent like this and 2 came from Germany and 1 from South Africa

Will see in the morning I guess

Thanks for the opinions will see who is correct soon

• Like 2

Skodas are the not quite perfect sibling in the VAG stable. They get the bits their brothers reject. But can also source some of their bits from cheaper suppliers than their siblings

Lets see what the dealer has to say. Skoda Australia may be a lot more generous than Skoda UK who I am certain would reject any claim out of hand.

BTW Only 232 x 9mm discs are listed on Skoda-parts.com which usually has the complete range.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/1j0615601q-rear-brake-disc-232x9mm-ate-14339.html

On one of the OP's photos you can see the min value is printed as 7mm so confirming the discs as 9mm

Get that vernier and measuring technique checked!

Edited by xman
  • Like 1