Tailgate ( rust )

Hi can anyone tell me if there’s any difference in the tailgate on a pre and facelift mk11 Octavia estate ( my 09 facelift estate has serious rust developed in the last few months around the right hand number plate lamp housing, I’m thinking this would be awkward or non cost effective to repair )

happy for any advice even if it’s just “ that’s a common problem “ which would make think twice about buying a replacement without viewing !!

thanks for any advice in advance 

That's a common problem.

I had mine resprayed under warranty in 2016, and it came back in less than 2 years. The local dealer washed their hands of it and told me to sort it out with the body shop they originally sent it to.

Your vehicle is still covered under the anti corrosion warranty (it's 12 years), the rust there is a known issue, any dealership that says otherwise is lying. 

I never got round to getting it sorted as I knew I would be trading it in fairly soon.

Unless you live in the Glasgow area, I doubt very much you'll get the incompetent cockwombles I did.

Best wishes.

Hi that’s very good to hear about the warranty I though it might be 10 years only downside I can think of is there is no record of the car ever being inspected by Skoda for body issues wouldn’t that give them ( Skoda ) a get out clause ? other downside is it’s 25 miles ( I think ) to nearest dealer I’ll be making to phone calls during the week I think ( one things for sure this tailgate won’t be repaired by a quick blow over at a spray shop ) interestingly there is also a few other paint/rust blister all seem to have materialised this winter I even commented “ typical now the 10 year warranty has  expired !!

i actually work in service providing industry so Skoda will have a job fobbing me off with BS I’ve heard it all 

I had rust bubbles showing at the bottom of at least two of the doors. The OSR passenger door had a rust bubble approximately 8cm in length and 1-3 cm in depth.  It has been there for at least two years, and the vehicle had only ever been serviced at Skoda garages. Never mentioned during the video VHC, but pitting of the brakes was. 

I had a physical Service Book from owning the vehicle from new, not once during any of the services was the box ticked for Bodywork Condition Check carried out, even though it was there in plain site.

I think my best option will be to contact Skoda customer services on the pretext of asking their advice as how to make a claim rather than go direct to a ( not so ) local dealer 

• Like 1

Galvanic corrosion, a direct result of Skoda's poorly designed number plate light housings allowing electrical current to reach to the tailgate.

As mentioned a common problem, especially on older cars.

It is still happening today, even on this 2015 Superb estate...

10 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Galvanic corrosion, a direct result of Skoda's poorly designed number plate light housings allowing electrical current to reach to the tailgate.

As mentioned a common problem, especially on older cars.

It is still happening today, even on this 2015 Superb estate...

that is not an encouraging photo, I guess the bottom line is or do Skoda rectify this issue ?

As with most things Skoda customer service related, it very much depends on which way the wind is blowing at the point you call them.

You have a 12 year anti-perforation warranty, for corrosion from the inside out. However this is dependant on whether the car has had its bodywork inspections carried out.

Now here's the issue, Skoda UK make no mention of these inspections in any of their service documentation, so if they ask to see it, you should ask them where they say that they require it. It's a game.

As is often the case, it'll very much depend on how willing you are to dig in and persist. Skoda's policy of saying no until they wear you down tends to work for most.

Getting your dealer on side will work wonders, Skoda often listen to them more than you or I.

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

As with most things Skoda customer service related, it very much depends on which way the wind is blowing at the point you call them.

You have a 12 year anti-perforation warranty, for corrosion from the inside out. However this is dependant on whether the car has had its bodywork inspections carried out.

Now here's the issue, Skoda UK make no mention of these inspections in any of their service documentation, so if they ask to see it, you should ask them where they say that they require it. It's a game.

As is often the case, it'll very much depend on how willing you are to dig in and persist. Skoda's policy of saying no until they wear you down tends to work for most.

Getting your dealer on side will work wonders, Skoda often listen to them more than you or I.

I too can’t find any reference to ‘ your car requires an inspection........ other than a tick box in the service manual diagram page opposite each service record 

thing is since the demise of Chapmans Skoda in Pickering and the diabolical service I had to endure at DM Keith in York ( free service on my previous Fabia as part of a purchase package when I bought the Fabia from Chapmans ) I bought the Octavia from an independent garage so it’s never seen a Skoda garage at least in my ownership 

I’m going to ring Skoda Milton Keynes tomorrow ( nothing ventured etc etc ) on the premise of getting customer service to ‘ book ‘ the car in for an inspection under the warranty at a dealership 

the issue is well documented, there’s is no surface rust it’s all from the inside around the number plate light and I swear it’s materialised over the last 5-6 months so it meets the 12 year warranty 

also found a couple of similar inside - out rust blister on the sills too to be honest I’m a bit weary of too close a scrutiny 

bloody shame are it’s a cracking car otherwise 

• Like 1

The really unhelpful dealers will try and charge you to inspect the car, a bit like a diagnostic fee.

I too have vowed never to return to DM Keith in York, they're a classic example of where a dealer can't do enough for you, right up until just after the point your money hits their bank account, after which you're nothing short of an inconvenience.

Long story cut short 

car is booked in for assessment at Des Winks Skoda Scarborough for next Thursday via Skoda customer care Milton Keynes 

essentially customer dont don’t think I have a claim as no body work inspection proof 

claims expert at Des Winks is thinking along the same lines but was more than surprised when I quoted that cavity blood work protection needs no inspection ( page 215 owners hand book ) 

hum we’ll see ...............

Skoda Main Dealer Servicing back in 2009 / 2010 when there were Service Books, and after when none included as they do now Body & Glass Inspections.

Now maybe Dealerships employees never filled in the record, maybe never bothered checking underneath or from the bottom of the sills up by bending their knees, 

or bothering their backsides,

but a Full Main Dealer Service History be that each year or each 2nd year is a record that can show Skoda UK & Skoda UK Customer services the dealerships that never did their job right.

Seeing as they have known for a decade that many never bothered and several Brand Directors of Skoda UK & VW Uk let that continue, it is their issue.

Also the Warranty does not mention annual or biannual inspections being required...

3 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Skoda Main Dealer Servicing back in 2009 / 2010 when there were Service Books, and after when none included as they do now Body & Glass Inspections.

Now maybe Dealerships employees never filled in the record, maybe never bothered checking underneath or from the bottom of the sills up by bending their knees, 

or bothering their backsides,

but a Full Main Dealer Service History be that each year or each 2nd year is a record that can show Skoda UK & Skoda UK Customer services the dealerships that never did their job right.

Seeing as they have known for a decade that many never bothered and several Brand Directors of Skoda UK & VW Uk let that continue, it is their issue.

Also the Warranty does not mention annual or biannual inspections being required...

You’ve hit my ace up the sleeve argument bang on the head and bullet number two is a statement that the cavity protection “ requires no inspection “ and as it’s that 12 year warranty cover I’m claiming under 

time and hopefully my “ persuasive “ approach will tell 

• Like 1

If Skoda UK customer services are daring to try and pull the "bodywork inspection" excuse for wiggling out of a legitimate claim, then be sure to ask them where it says they're needed, but more importantly why their franchised dealer network either isn't doing them as part of the routine servicing, or reminding their customers that it's required / due.

They're all too keen to remind their customers on air conditioning servicing, bogus engine flushes, winter checks, tyre checks, cambelt changes etc. so why has no one ever heard of a dealer ringing them up asking them to book in for a bodywork inspection?

Skoda UK are having a laugh, please tell them they're rubbish at telling jokes.

The one advantage you might have is Des Winks in Scarborough, we bought our last car from them and they were really good, light years ahead of DM Keith in York,

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

If Skoda UK customer services are daring to try and pull the "bodywork inspection" excuse for wiggling out of a legitimate claim, then be sure to ask them where it says they're needed, but more importantly why their franchised dealer network either isn't doing them as part of the routine servicing, or reminding their customers that it's required / due.

They're all too keen to remind their customers on air conditioning servicing, bogus engine flushes, winter checks, tyre checks, cambelt changes etc. so why has no one ever heard of a dealer ringing them up asking them to book in for a bodywork inspection?

Skoda UK are having a laugh, please tell them they're rubbish at telling jokes.

The one advantage you might have is Des Winks in Scarborough, we bought our last car from them and they were really good, light years ahead of DM Keith in York,

I’ve got agree that Des Winks have been excellent thus far but even the warranty claims ‘ manager ‘ was adamant that there is a requirement for a body work inspection service ( it is mention in what’s to be done breakdown in the service menu by mileage n the service booklet 

my car had two ‘ Skoda ‘ services before I bought it and then sketchy records until I bought it in 2014 and full independent service since ( no body inspection implied or given ! ) however of those ‘ Skoda ‘ services one has stamped body inspection but NOT the following service ( let’s see warranty claims manager explain that one ) unfortunately for Skoda I’ve worked in the customer service  sector for over 30 years and I’ve heard every excuse in the book ..........

• Like 2

Update

No surprise and something I’d have done off my own back the appointment at Des Winks has been cancelled ( rightly so too ) what’s a bit of rust in the overall scheme of things !!

2nd hand tailgate search is now on looks like I’ll have time on my hands to undertake its replacement 

any physical difference in pre and facelift Octavia mk2 tailgates ?

Edited by davidwhite
Missed wording

• 2 years later...

2010 170CR Estate. Owned from new. Just within the 12 year warranty yet Skoda Sytner N Wales don't look very interested from my visit this afternoon. Jonathan took some photos (warranty personnel) and more or less was negative from the start. We'll report back from Skoda Uk. Really rusting quite beneath the tail gait lights. Blown quite heavily including the fine seam above the number to the edges. Definitely galvanizing issues. Won't roll over without a fight. In the meantime be very careful of parting with your hard earned for the brand. Been a massive and loyal VW customer as well as my father who'se had them for over 50 - 60 yrs. Let's see if Skoda Uk keep an eye on these posts eh? 

• Confused 1

Welcome.

Do you have the Service book you got with the car in 2010 and is the page for Body Inspection filled in in 2012 when it was due to be,  (Major services back then)

then again any time when in for a service?  Not that the Warranty T&C,s then or now said that Body Inspection Bi-Annually or periodically were required.

Dealership staff might say that when rejecting claims which was not for them to do.

Dealerships even said they would do Body Inspections for cars that never got Main Dealership Servicing yet were not doing it when they should have been do them.

http://theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/13/why-didnt-skoda-make-its-fabia-warranty-terms-clear

Someone @ the Guardian or Skoda are getting Arse & Elbow mixed up. 

The Paint Warranty is 3 Years and it is the Corrosion Warranty they are concerned about here and the 'Bodywork Inspection T&C's' which do nor exist.

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

Skoda UK certainly are aware of posts here sometimes.   If not they will be aware of the Guardian article....

That has never changed much in recent years. The only thing seems to be them saying a Dealers & Customer Services not to listen to Social Media / Forums.

But then those on Social Media / Forums seem to not pick up that they need to pay attention to cars and if they see corrosion do something about it ASAP.

No point waiting for over a decade and then moaning. Or getting a used car and not knowing what has gone before with it.

Skoda seems to fail to remind Dealerships that a Service is supposed to include a Body Inspection and a report of damage or poor repairs or corrosion. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505391-treating-rust-in-tailgate

Screenshot 2022-09-06 05.47.22.png

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b (1).jpeg

995569228_Screenshot2020-03-06at12_44_10.png.348e1680dd3900132987496b75374788.png.83220c99bb899007cb2e16557a72981a.png

Edited by roottoot