Mechatronic unit failure

Bookham

Hi

My ex demo 2017 Yeti is truly the best car I ever possessed. So easy to get into, great driving position, versatile luggage space to take stuff to the tip or the boat.. i could go on.

It died on me three weeks ago. No gear engagement, but engine ran ok. Not the clutch I was told by my garage. After three days I get the news its the mechatronic. Anyone know what that does??

I know its £2200 worth of kit.

Good news I got an extended Warranty. Bad news Skoda warranty have to check the garage has diagnosed the fault correctly,( ie could they find some other small component to settle the claim with, leaving me with the big bill??)

Good news It usually takes a week to build the mechatronic unit specifically for my car once they get the authorisation to place the order. Bad news Skoda warranty people are working from home with no access to the Skoda intranet so every check has to be done manually...by email. Good news Skoda Customer relations are on the case. Bad news its costing me £150/week to hire a replacement car. Maybe by Christmas I'll get a decision? That's another grand.

I would really like to know why Skoda don't trust their dealers to administer extended warranty claims but do trust them with new car claims.

@Bookham  Welcome.

What engine do you have, so what DSG.

Is it a 1.2 TSI with a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG where a MCU failure might not be a surprise, or an engine that has fitted a  Wet Clutch DSG that has 40,000 mile service interval?

The week to build the MCU sounds very much like something of a story from someone.

There is time to get one delivered, and stories of back ordering, as to building to order that really is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

?

Why have Skoda UK not supplied the Courtesy car, is your car not at a Skoda Main Dealership, just because they want an Independent inspection?

?

Is the Extended Warranty one with Skoda / VW or one you have purchased from a 3rd party?

You really need a 'Communications Manager at Skoda to get a Resolutions manager on the case because some break down in communications is going on here.

* The car is not driveable regardless of what repair needs carried out and what the repair is going to be costing the Warranty Underwriter.*

*The hire car you have needs paid for by them if they are going to do what they need to and supply one of the thousands of cars they have at their disposal.*

32529_skoda_approved_used_warranty_doc_v3.72110e7831bce3d9427fded26bdd2652.pdf

Edited by e-Roottoot

The model is a 1.2 outdoor SE L DSG type designation YETI OUTD STY OTS81/1.2A7F

Last serviced in August 24553 miles

Extended warranty is with skoda- see attached copy- no mention of a courtesy car

The car is with the Skoda main dealer from whom I bought it. It was a demo car with 3k on the clock.

Thanks for your comments

35239_skoda_extended-warranty_dec19_nav_v1.pdf

• Thanks 1

The issues with MCU's were really 2009-2012 which meant a World Wide recall & in Europe just a Service Campaign to change the Synthetic Oil to Mineral and do a software update.

That was in 2014.

Then in 2017 a Service Campaign on DQ200's from 2013-2015 because there could be cracks / leaks, so there was a software update. '34H5'.

There have been clutch issues reported since 2015, and there is updated ones and a software update.

There have been other issue as well requiring Software updates, 

but

no common reports of MCU issues since 2016.

There is yet another recall in Australia though on DQ200's from 2009-2016 which include Skodas, and some 2017 VW's.

This was started in 2019.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/473213-another-dsg-recall-today-sorry-if-already-posted

Long story short, 

SKODA UK and Skoda Dealership Technicians should be very aware of DQ200 DSG's and issues and need for correct diagnosis and Updates.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 06.41.41.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

Unfortunately I'm not surprised.

I've owned five DQ200's and four required warranty work the last one cost £5500 to repair.  All less than 30k miles and two less than 15k miles.

Ran four DQ250 6 speed wetclutch DSG's over 250k miles and no issues.