Code out brake lights on autohold?

skomaz

As above does anyone know if the brake lights staying on when the autohold is on can be coded out?

I've noticed that the brake lights stay on when stopped and autohold is active, even if I don't have the brake pedal pressed.  Its one of my pet hates and is blinding when sat behind others that do it so don't really want to inflict it on the people behind me myself...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

There is this device called a "handbrake"... ;) 

Indeed...   But on the kodiaq its electronic and seems to retain the brake lights on if the autohold engaged when you stopped...

• Like 1

But AUTOHOLD is so good and applies the front and rear brakes and with a DSG you can just leave in drive and stop / start enabled or not.    Sorry no idea how to code out.  That was asked in a General Maintenance post a few years back.   Not all VW group vehicles do have the brake light on with AUTOHOLD as confirmed in a couple of threads I started.    Some adult that knows there R,s and elbow will be along hopefully.      Applying the E-parking brake is an option. Obviously long since not a Hand Brake, more a finger operated brake.  Thank goodness for modern stuff sometimes, other times it can be a PITA. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/433302-auto-hold-brake-lights

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438223-didnt-realise

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455234-auto-hold

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

I asked about this in the VCDS Facebook group and was told it wasn't possible. Since then I've started applying the handbrake in situations where the brakelight is going to be dazzling. When it's time to set off I just give the accelerator a quick tap to disengage the handbrake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Teir said:

I asked about this in the VCDS Facebook group and was told it wasn't possible. Since then I've started applying the handbrake in situations where the brakelight is going to be dazzling. When it's time to set off I just give the accelerator a quick tap to disengage the handbrake. 

Does using the EHB with the engine running not put undue pressure on the DSG. 
Sure I’ve read on this forum that you need to select N or P if you are applying the EHB with engine running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Indeed...   But on the kodiaq its electronic and seems to retain the brake lights on if the autohold engaged when you stopped...

Not on mine

15 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Does using the EHB with the engine running not put undue pressure on the DSG. 
Sure I’ve read on this forum that you need to select N or P if you are applying the EHB with engine running.

Not in my experience - only on manual parking brake cars

IME the e-Brake applied and the DSG in D or S does not have the DSG / clutches disengage in the same way as the Autohold does or the foot brake applied.

But then not something i ever do really holding a DSG in D or S with the e-Brake, just with Autohold.

With DQ200 DSG's when Sprinting and with a 'Hand Brake / Parking Brake',  i hold them on the Parking Brake when Hill Climb / Sprinting / Dragging. 

but then i have only one foot, but even if i had 2 the delay the foot brake to 'Off the line' is quite a difference. Delay with Clutches. 

Not the same with Holding on the Hand Brake. (This is cars without Launch Control.)

44 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Not on mine

Hmm.  Will have to double check again.  Given the convenience of the autohold it would be nice to code out if poss, say after a few seconds of being stationary but it seems it's not possible

19 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Likely it just needs a 12 year old with the skills to disable the Kodiaq brake lights when autohold is actuated. 

I'm not 12, but I have the skills (and hammer) to disable the Kodiaq brake lights, albeit in a more... permanent manner 😛.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I attended anger management so no longer have the urge to kick in the Front Fog lights that some like to have on or upgraded headlights that are illegal, 

or the rear fog lights people think are needed on when in a line of traffic when the fog was yesterday or miles ago.

I still do wash my windscreen when being tailgated though.  You can not teach an old dog to stop old habits. 

• Haha 1

It will depend on how the brake lights are switched on. Remember that the Autohold is nothing to do with the handbrake: it’s a device which retains the pressure in the hydraulic brake pipes (and therefore acts on all four wheels).

If the brake lights are turned on by pressure in the pipes, there may be no way to code it out.

My brakelights certainly stay on on Autohold (but not with the parking brake).

As I understand it (though I’ve only been told that) Autohold also holds apart the clutches in the DSG, so that they don’t wear unnecessarily.

@DaveMiller - Yeah, but that explains all my reasons for disliking autohold:-

1. It's using stored energy to "hold the car on the brakes".
  2. It's using a computer to do something that should be done by the driver.
  3. It's doing something inconsiderate.
  4. Exactly what it does has never been properly explained to car owners anyway.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The brake pedal is pushed by the human driving and the actuators hold the brake pressure.  Big deal.  The engine can be off. Good thing. If the driver's foot was on the brake pedal the brake lights would be on.   Not all vehicles stopped and held by AUTOHOLD have the brake lights on.  If last car in a line the driver might decide to put their foot 🦶 on the brake pedal.   What it does is keep you alert with foot off the brake pedal and car not emitting emissions and ready to press the brake or accelerator.    @KenONeill have you driven a car with AUTOHOLD available yet?. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Good thing. If the driver's foot was on the brake pedal the brake lights would be on.   

This will depend on whether the lights are activated by microswitches on the brake pedal or by hydraulic pressure in the  brakelines. Some brands of car have microswitches on the brake pedal which have two functions, 1: to operate the brakelights and, 2: to disengage cruise control. Failre can cause all sorts of apparently unrelated issues.  

• Like 2

Some Seat or VW or Audi have brake light on and some do not while AUTOHOLD is activated and functioning.   There is a wee project for someone to see which is which system.  I started the thread asking Briskoda members what their car does.  Many have not a clue.    I will bump the thread, it might have some checking what their vehicle does.   In general as automotive chat section. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

53 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

have you driven a car with AUTOHOLD available yet?.

No, and I won't be until I have a clear explanation of how it has been implemented on that vehicle. Even then, if it has a proper handbrake rather than an e-handbrake I won't rely on it to hold the car. If you want further explanation, go and count the actual number of "software error" threads there are for cars since 2010.

• Groan 2

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

Some Seat or VW or Audi have brake light on and some do not while AUTOHOLD is activated and functioning.   There is a wee project for someone to see which is which system.  I started the thread asking Briskoda members what their car does.  Many have not a clue.    I will bump the thread, it might have some checking what their vehicle does.   In general as automotive chat section. 

My old B6 Passat on the PQ platform didn't, but all my MQB cars keep the brake lights on when auto hold is engaged.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 09:29, skomaz said:

Don’t think so. Indeed the brake lights will remain on and blind the vehicle behind if you only stop on the auto-hold.

Lovely feature it is too, but it would be so “Simply Clever” if the brake lights switched off automatically.

But they don’t.

So some of us flick the parking brake switch when sitting still for more than a few seconds to avoid inconveniencing the vehicle behind.

”It’s A Feature”

Basically the EU / EU & other manufacturers do not care about the UK Highway code, they get by using C&U as the EU has it.

So drivers need to think about what their rear lights are as also with the front ones.

At extended stops maybe use the Parking Brake at extinguish the brake lights.

Common offenders in gridlock traffic like the Edinburgh By-pas are in X90 Volvos and possibly with blue lights on the roof.

Some rear brake lights are real PITA's IMO.  Butterfly shaped ones, Lines the whole width of the rear of the car, and it is not just supposed prestige 

German vehicles, there is a French Manufacturer that has some really ridiculously bright brake lights, lets just call them Renault, but Peugeot also do some horrible lights.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.16.57.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

To be fair, that part is a should and not a must - so it's not actually breaking the law.

But I do agree that the lights should go out once you take your foot off the brake pedal, even if autohold is turned on.

So much of the Highway Code even the updates are so out of date, like the Sidelight / Parking light stuff.

But the Brake Lights bit does go back decades to totally crap rear brake lights / bulbs, like you might see on Original Landrovers to this very day, 

and the introduction so pre High Level Brake Lights or ones right across a rear Bootlid / spoiler on cars requiring that plastic tat to keep the back end on the road where the NSL is 60 mph and the max limit only 10 mph more. 

Obviously these mean machines are often tracked and will travel overseas to the place of their birth.

Edited by e-Roottoot