Petrol flap snapped

Gaz

Mrs Gaz has just managed to snap her plastic petrol flap clean off 🙄:

IMG_4611.jpeg

It's a clean break.  Has anyone glued one back on before?  I'm wondering what glue might be best, or whether to just get a new one and be done with it.

Ta

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Gorilla glue maybe? 

Yeah that's come up ta.  

I've got JB Cold Weld, but it looks like Loctite All Plastics might be the one to try for this particular application.

Unit looks simple enough to change if all else fails.

Gaz 

• Like 1

Do you know what type of plastic it is? If it is ABS then a smear of acetone, which melts ABS, on both halves and then press together should give a strong bond.  Otherwise as long as it is a voean break I would try  medium viscosity cyanoacrylate and a small amount of "kicker" although the use of kicker can weaken the joint. I am sure you are aware but if you use Gorilla Glue then you need to be very sparing with it and clamp the joint firmly as it foams otherwise it will push the 2 parts apart.

• Thanks 1

Superglue & Baking powder works wonders.

When doing it with the hinge on the car a bit trickier. 

But basically once a little glue holds the flap in the correct position you apply the glue sparingly around the edges and sprinkle / blow the baking powder at the glue. 

(Youtube videos of Superglue & Baking powder are available)

I have never used the bottom stuff with baking powder as the top stuff is amazing with it.

There was a clear out offer at Tesco and i spotted that some were wrongly priced so it would have been rude to not buy them. 

DSCN1335.JPG

DSCN1336.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loctite All Plastics seems to have done the trick :thumbup::

IMG_4618.jpeg

Unfortunately not before Mrs Gaz dropped the flap on to the drive for no apparent reason, chipping the paint:

IMG_4620.jpeg

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
Grandma
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I've suggested getting a touch up set.  Doubt it'll happen.  To be honest, it's seven years old, all four alloys are knackered, it's got car park dings, a score across the NSF window which arrived after it was washed (Mrs Gaz wears rings).  All things that'd drive me nuts, but if I fixed them they'd soon be replaced.  A paint chip on plastic is just something else to try to not look at.

G

• Like 2