Tyre wear

classic

After 20,000 miles my Enyaq tyres are worn down to between 3 and 4mm but it is taking out the inside edges on all 4 corners. I rotated them front to rear as recommended in the manual at 10,000 miles and at that time the rears were about 1mm more worn than the fronts.

Obviously it needs alignment checked and adjusting, but it’s probably going to get to 2mm all round at about 25,000 miles so although it is wearing the inner edges it won’t mean I’m replacing the tyres prematurely.

The car came with 20” wheels and I am wondering if that might have some effect on the tyre wear as presumably the standard size is 19” and I guess the geometry is set up for that ? 
The top picture is the near side rear tyre at 20,000 ( now on the front)  and the bottom picture is the offside front at 20,000 ( now on the rear).

I check the pressures every month and increase them as per the spec if going on a journey with a loaded car.

847BA1B6-91F2-472A-A8BF-699A8E7052C7.jpeg

F6462579-DD4B-4933-84CF-1957D9294F45.jpeg

Edited by classic

Common problem on VW Group cars. Manufacturer sets up camber to max of their spec for toe out to get best handling and sometimes they go a bit too far and this leads to inside tyre wear. When my Enyaq eventually arrives I am thinking about insisting they check wheel alignment before I accept.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stepm said:

Common problem on VW Group cars. Manufacturer sets up camber to max of their spec for toe out to get best handling and sometimes they go a bit too far and this leads to inside tyre wear. When my Enyaq eventually arrives I am thinking about insisting they check wheel alignment before I accept.

Thanks, probably a good idea to get it checked when new.

Mine is definitely wearing the inside worse on the rear. I’m keeping a close eye on them and will get maximum mileage, have all 4 replaced and full wheel alignment done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 07:07, roottoot said:

The post here by @WRKDK00might interest some. 

Rear Tyres.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506460-tyre-wear

Looks like it could be an issue with Enyaqs then. If the alignment is within spec and it still knocks out the inner edges then it is a design fault.

• 1 month later...

Although EV (electric vehicle) spec tyres to help deal with heavier vehicles have been around for a while, haven’t until now been able to get an all season

For those interested Vredestein have now launched Quatrac Pro EV

https://www.vredestein.co.uk/content-hub/news/car-suv-van/first-all-season-tyre-fully-dedicated-to-electric-vehicles/

• Like 1

That will change quickly, as EV,s are global as are tyre manufacturers.

Lots getting EV's can not stay on the ECO EV Range achieving crap tyres.

Things get lost in Translation, English, UK English or RoW English.

'All season' 'All Weather', Winter Tyres, Snow Tyres.

There are places where you are required to have on Certified 'Winter' tyres, and carry or be able to fit Snow Chains and that includes countries in Europe. 

So suitable EV All Season / Winter tyres will be required. 

3PMSF / (Three Peak mountain snowflake symbol.)

Edited by toot

I’m still coming up the EV Learning Curve and I’m not picking on Vredestein.

Just using their web page info.

1. EVs are big heavy buggers - harder on tyres than lighter vehicles.

2. Hi torque off the line may be fun smoking the other guy at the lights, but  is gonna burn more rubber than a less torquey car.

3. Less rolling resistance suggests less grip than a tyre with more rolling resistance.

20” heavy duty tyres ain’t gonna be cheap.

4A5213BE-3C13-4508-A5E7-A252AF86D662.jpeg

F36AF6B5-0EDD-4081-8F83-3DD843679F19.jpeg

• Like 1

Probably not.  Your Volvo on a different manufactures tyres might have worn at a different rate.    It appears not to be a wear rate thing.  More an uneven wearing of the outer edges.    A year or so on of the Enyaq / ID 4,s on the roads then Dealership staff, tyre fitters and owners should be getting to know how the tyres wear with the use they get. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be happy if I can get 20k out of a set of tyres - my contract allows 4 tyres every 20K! :)  - I don't know how good they are against puncture resistance - but I have only had to replace one tyre I can think of in the last few years - and only had 2 punctures when I used to offroad my Land Rover - did 174k in that!

On 30/09/2022 at 10:43, stepm said:

Common problem on VW Group cars. Manufacturer sets up camber to max of their spec for toe out to get best handling and sometimes they go a bit too far and this leads to inside tyre wear.

How exactly do you believe that they adjust the camber on the Macpherson strut suspension and what does that have to do with wheel alignment (toe out)?

Assuming you know something that I don't and they do adjust the camber to within the specification how can that be a bit too far?

• 1 year later...